Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Apple picking with the MRS

The MRS wanted to go apple picking, I may have to bring in the big equipment for the hard to reach branches. I got the good job of picking her up to get the best apples😉B74553FE-FE0E-44EE-A695-81C8623D16E1.thumb.jpeg.5d30d8a0a22ae65c94960e6447401284.jpeg

I like your cup holder. 

E71B4639-4A7D-4B12-8E7A-8593ACE68C8E.jpeg

E2DE524E-3CEE-44DD-BA79-85A4A83AA13D.jpeg

08CD2E3C-2BAD-40B9-AF7F-71DBCFC24E32.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I like your cup holder. 

I don’t endorse drinking and operating, quite the opposite actually, however as I had just opened it and hadn’t had one already tonight, I figured we were safe for a couple bags of apples. 

Is this a case of hold my beer and watch this?  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I don’t endorse drinking and operating, quite the opposite actually, however as I had just opened it and hadn’t had one already tonight, I figured we were safe for a couple bags of apples. 

You're drinking watered down beer, you'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay back when I was young we used to put loader up in air then climb the cylinder and arms up into the bucket. The old cable farmhands were better you had the cylinder , arm and cable to shimmy up. 

• Like 1

Loader bucket made a sweet diving board over the pond back in the day. 

• Like 1

So what ya gonna do with all the apples? I've been eyeballing and apple tree on some empty vacated farm ground for a couple years trying to figure out who I need to ask if I can pick them. The tree is loaded with them this year. Im almost afraid it got so many on it the branches are gonna break. They are red is all I can tell from the road. Need to pick one and see if they would make good apple sauce or apple butter or something but Im not going to trespass to do it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

So what ya gonna do with all the apples? I've been eyeballing and apple tree on some empty vacated farm ground for a couple years trying to figure out who I need to ask if I can pick them. The tree is loaded with them this year. Im almost afraid it got so many on it the branches are gonna break. They are red is all I can tell from the road. Need to pick one and see if they would make good apple sauce or apple butter or something but Im not going to trespass to do it.

I make up pie filling, line the pie plates with plastic wrap, pack the pie plate full and freeze it, when it’s frozen I pop the pie shaped filling out already wrapped and leave it in the freezer. Ten it’s easy to make up a crust any old time and pop a filling in , hot fresh pie any time of year. She makes lots of applesauce and cans it, she’s a big applesauce lover. Always talk about pressing cider but it’s so easy to buy and pressing is Soooooo much work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I make up pie filling, line the pie plates with plastic wrap, pack the pie plate full and freeze it, when it’s frozen I pop the pie shaped filling out already wrapped and leave it in the freezer. Ten it’s easy to make up a crust any old time and pop a filling in , hot fresh pie any time of year. She makes lots of applesauce and cans it, she’s a big applesauce lover. Always talk about pressing cider but it’s so easy to buy and pressing is Soooooo much work. 

Yep, its all alot of work. They always claim here in Iowa about every farmstead had an apple orchard. Then when 2 4 D came out it killed alot of them off. Im guessing they all made stuff like that out of it. Used to have a neighbor lady when I was a kid that always made apple butter. Man you talk about making a good piece of toast with that stuff !

I live the view from your tractor...Thx-Ace

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Need to pick one and see if they would make good apple sauce or apple butter or something

Cider?

2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Cider?

Juice squeezed from apples. Can be fermented to become hard cider (with alcohol content)

This area was known for problems with people who have drinking issues from hard cider consumption. Talk of two barrels in the basement at places. There are glass bottles throughout the woods found while hunting that probably are from this. Farmer who had our farm in the '40's - '50's got drink and then got lost in a corn field according to the neighbors here 

35 minutes ago, bitty said:

Juice squeezed from apples. Can be fermented to become hard cider (with alcohol content)

This area was known for problems with people who have drinking issues from hard cider consumption. Talk of two barrels in the basement at places. There are glass bottles throughout the woods found while hunting that probably are from this. Farmer who had our farm in the '40's - '50's got drink and then got lost in a corn field according to the neighbors here 

It is always better to drink alone, you never get in a fight with someone and no one says "I think you've had enough " 

• Haha 1

Need a tree 🌳 Shaker to catch them apples 🍎 in the bucket 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, bitty said:

There is a pub in Bristol (UK) that has served only "scrumpy" (west country UK hard cider) for something like 400 years. 

It is strong - a local's description was "4 pints was a big night"

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

It is always better to drink alone, you never get in a fight with someone and no one says "I think you've had enough " 

True!

So why are you not up in the bucket??

Then your wife could drive the tractor for you… 

Then you could post more pictures of yourself after she dumped you out of the bucket! 😂

7 hours ago, cobfly said:

True!

But you never learn anything new if you drink alone.

Along the lines of "You can't psychanalyse yourself - you're biased to start with"

• Haha 1

Thats her looking back wondering if she should trust you or not. 🤣  heck my wifes better off if ive had a couple. At least then id be more apt to stay on the tractor. Otherwise i may raise her up and tell her to call me when she wants down. 😎  i seem to always try to do 3 things at once even if it doesnt get any of them done well.  You just stay right there and ill be right back.... 🙈

• Haha 1

WERE"S THE APPLES ???

12 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Thats her looking back wondering if she should trust you or not. 🤣  heck my wifes better off if ive had a couple. At least then id be more apt to stay on the tractor. Otherwise i may raise her up and tell her to call me when she wants down. 😎  i seem to always try to do 3 things at once even if it doesnt get any of them done well.  You just stay right there and ill be right back.... 🙈

that loader, the bucket settles quickly, she's short on sense of humor😕