Sign in to follow this  
Old F-14

I got scammed by a guy in PA

We all read those things where somebody falls victim to a scam. Well, unfortunately for the first time in my life, I did.

I had a want ad in the June/July issue of Antique Power magazine. This fellow called me in response to that ad. We talked about Coolspring PA power museum, how he was haying with a IH 560, and his 15-30 McCormick project tractor, and how he had 30 head of beef cattle and lived on an inherited farm in Western PA. He also knew Polk's auction in Indiana, and knew enough to have actually been there in the past. Normally I can filter out the scams, as something doesn't 'feel' right. Well this fellow texted me pictures, and talked of experience. He KNEW tractors and equipment - very well (unlike most scammers

He was paid via a Post Office Money Order send with tracking, so I know he received it.

This was a month and a half ago back in July. Few weeks went by and I called only to have found he had blocked my phone number. Then, I did a google street and satellite view of his street address - and the property was nowhere near the description of a farm.

I later found the pictures he had texted me actually were posted  on the Yesterdays Tractors archived photo ads 5 to 10 years ago (not him advertising). I suspect he found the images doing a google image search.

I lost $270 to this fellow for a Farmall F-12 manifold and a set of used .090 Deere Pistons. I have filed a complaint with the post office, but I doubt anything will come of it based on what the postal inspector told me.

The scammer is:
William (Bill) Armstrong
2476 Hemlock RD
Commodore, PA 15729
724-467-1174

This is a post to warn others, THANKS to this bozo, I'm out my money and my F-12 is waiting for a manifold till I get some more hobby money together.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

It happens .I lost several dollars year or so ago to a man in California.He posted a original 66 series muffler with correct part #.Also sent postal money order.Waited and same no answer on phone .I left him a message that my wife worked for IRS and would track him down .Hope I worried him a little bit !!

• Like 1

That's mail fraud if money was sent through the mail.  I'm not positive if time frames and such but I've heard several guys had good luck with that.

• Like 2

On the other side of the coin I bought a used crankshaft that had been turned down from a guy in PA.  It was for my Case 500.  He told me the specs he turned it down to so I could get the proper bearings.  Paid $550 to buy and ship it here.  Measured the crank once I got it and it checked out.  Installed it in the tractor and it runs.  

Also, I sold a Massey 555 diesel with a hand clutch to a guy in PA.  Engine is locked up and pretty much everything else is too.  He offered me $200 for some parts off of it.  I told him either $300 for the parts or $200 and he had to take the whole tractor.  So he agreed with the latter.  Took some parts off, shipped them to him, and still waiting for him to come get the rest of the tractor which had been about at least 7 years.  So I guess he got me.  About once every 6 months he will email just to check in.  Think next time I will tell him it’s gone.

That guy sounds about as honest as the guy from Minnesota wanting to buy early MD parts. People would send him parts but never any money would come their way.

ya that happens a lot

was selling a compressor on craig's list  for $250.00 and the buyer sent me a bank check for  $3000.00

wanted the balance given to the shipper.

it looked like a good check from a bank the routing number was bad 

I didn't loose anything but time messing with it.

Mike

• Haha 1

There was similar thing with a knowledgeable person or at least one that did lots of homework. Got a knowledgeable collector to believe he had a very rare crawler tractor. I believe he had money sent to Oregon. If I remember details it was a $1000 deposit with a personal check. Local law enforcement on both ends had taken a interest finding scammer. But this was in spring and no more reports so that is not so promising of any thing happening to the bad guy.

• Like 1

That sucks, I’m sorry. 

20 hours ago, Old F-14 said:

We all read those things where somebody falls victim to a scam. Well, unfortunately for the first time in my life, I did.

I had a want ad in the June/July issue of Antique Power magazine. This fellow called me in response to that ad. We talked about Coolspring PA power museum, how he was haying with a IH 560, and his 15-30 McCormick project tractor, and how he had 30 head of beef cattle and lived on an inherited farm in Western PA. He also knew Polk's auction in Indiana, and knew enough to have actually been there in the past. Normally I can filter out the scams, as something doesn't 'feel' right. Well this fellow texted me pictures, and talked of experience. He KNEW tractors and equipment - very well (unlike most scammers

He was paid via a Post Office Money Order send with tracking, so I know he received it.

This was a month and a half ago back in July. Few weeks went by and I called only to have found he had blocked my phone number. Then, I did a google street and satellite view of his street address - and the property was nowhere near the description of a farm.

I later found the pictures he had texted me actually were posted  on the Yesterdays Tractors archived photo ads 5 to 10 years ago (not him advertising). I suspect he found the images doing a google image search.

I lost $270 to this fellow for a Farmall F-12 manifold and a set of used .090 Deere Pistons. I have filed a complaint with the post office, but I doubt anything will come of it based on what the postal inspector told me.

The scammer is:
William (Bill) Armstrong
2476 Hemlock RD
Commodore, PA 15729
724-467-1174

This is a post to warn others, THANKS to this bozo, I'm out my money and my F-12 is waiting for a manifold till I get some more hobby money together.

Talk with your local Sheriff about this guy.

There is a lot they can do today to get this guy either to justice, your money back, or both.

Sheriff can't help you, and others, if he don't know. Stop in and talk with them.

Nearly learned this the hard way on a much larger scale, seen an ad for a car, too good to be true price but a believable story....

Things seemed to be going great until I asked to buy the said car and pick it up in person, suddenly the car was in a different location than the ad, and then "in a container at the shipper's warehouse".

Best advise I can think of to avoid these scams is to claim you know someone close to their location and ask if that person can pick it up since they are planning to visit you shortly.... "to save shipping costs." If they agree and give you contact info it's more likely they are legit, if they stall or balk at the request just politely decline and move on.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 12:15 PM, Vanstractors said:

It happens .I lost several dollars year or so ago to a man in California.He posted a original 66 series muffler with correct part #.Also sent postal money order.Waited and same no answer on phone .I left him a message that my wife worked for IRS and would track him down .Hope I worried him a little bit !!

Hi i'm a visitor, i saw an old post about tabbaco that u were participating a few years ago so i was wondering if you grow up tabbaco or have contact with tabbaco growers?

On 9/9/2019 at 12:20 PM, Cattech said:

Nearly learned this the hard way on a much larger scale, seen an ad for a car, too good to be true price but a believable story....

Things seemed to be going great until I asked to buy the said car and pick it up in person, suddenly the car was in a different location than the ad, and then "in a container at the shipper's warehouse".

Best advise I can think of to avoid these scams is to claim you know someone close to their location and ask if that person can pick it up since they are planning to visit you shortly.... "to save shipping costs." If they agree and give you contact info it's more likely they are legit, if they stall or balk at the request just politely decline and move on.

Exact same thing happened to me. Except it was a skid steer that was for sale. As soon as I saw the ad I figured it was a scam, but thought I'd play it out and see what happens. It was sounding very legit the more I kept asking questions, although it was all through email. I even got the serial number and things all checked out, till I found out the serial number was from a machine for sale at Nova Scotia and this one was in BC. There was also a bunch of excuses when I said I got  friend that lives not far away and he was going to look at the machine for me. I figured all along it was a scam but kinda had fun playing along and seeing how far it would go

And that's why I wont buy any larger purchases without seeing it in person, or getting eyes on it from someone I know

I sold some combine parts on craigslist to a farmer in Guatemala. He paid via bank draft and everything was great.  We still talk occasionally.  Thx-Ace

I've got a story about one of the good guys, Hugh Pite. He's got an MG salvage yard of sorts in BC. I wrote him about some some part for my TF. He had it and said to send him a check. I sent it off and two days later the part arrived! He'd already sent it before receiving the check! That's never happened to me before.

The scammers who post a picture off the web and sell a non-existent machine or the one who "buy" your item and send a fake check way over the agreed amount should all be lumped in with the Nigerian princes who want your help getting millions out of their country and the "Microsoft engineers" who want to fix your computer, and castrated!

The one who prey on the elderly are particularly nasty and deserve harsher treatment.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, YokyRD said:

Hi i'm a visitor, i saw an old post about tabbaco that u were participating a few years ago so i was wondering if you grow up tabbaco or have contact with tabbaco growers?

I know I'm not the one you asked and this is off topic but I wondered what you were looking to know about tobacco? I grow a couple acres of tobacco and there is a lot grown around me.