vtfireman85

Quality ignition parts,

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, 560Dennis said:

I got pretty good at it . I knew how far off I was with feeler gages. Would set them so the dwell was at the best point so it wear would still be in spec . 

After I hand set the points with the feeler gage. Assemble distributor. And fire 🔥 up the mercury .get the reading on dwell meter. Check the numbers I got with the motor manuals numbers, get a reading on the dwellmeter . Tear down the distributor and slight move the points with comfortable screwdriver to compensate . Reassemble . Re start the engine and take the reading again. I was real fussy ,I would do it as many times as necessary to get it right. 

Use to do dads car. He would come over after work . Sometimes he would tell me how much he liked the tune up. 

Or he would burn rubber in front of the house with the big galaxies 🌌🤣😂🤷‍♂️.

Let me know how the 4 2 7 works for ya. 

Dont blame me if you twist and axle 👀

I just hope I got good parts for it from Carquest. Local mechanics are trying to talk me in to doing away with the points and doing a breakerless ignition. No more than this thing gets used I dont see the benefit. Not room for an HEI distributor as it will hit the firewall. Its in an 1800 Loadstar.

8 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

I just hope I got good parts for it from Carquest. Local mechanics are trying to talk me in to doing away with the points and doing a breakerless ignition. No more than this thing gets used I dont see the benefit. Not room for an HEI distributor as it will hit the firewall. Its in an 1800 Loadstar.

They make conversion kits for the IH distributors.  No need to swap the whole dist. I've done a few with good results.

17 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

I’m not a e breaker guy myself ,staying old . 

What another set a points 12 bucks ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

I’m not a e breaker guy myself ,staying old . 

What another set a points 12 bucks ? 

I don't necessarily disagree.  Points are cheap, and pretty reliable.

Here's my position.... not really an opinion as much as just some things I've seen and observed about "most" people, and a lot of old engines:

These old engines are getting tired.  Distributors worn out, ignition systems in general lacking. Valve train worn, low compression.....inefficient overall.  What a lot of them need is overhauled.  But.... on an old tractor that gets used 50 hours a year, or the old 1800 Loadstar's that get a hundred or two miles a year hauling grain out of the field, it's just not worth it.  Then there's the simple fact that a lot of guys just don't know anything about point ignition systems.  So when they cause grief, while it may be minor to you or I, it's a real headache to them.  No fire, the points must be shot again, so they replace them.  Or the condenser is bad and keeps burning up points.... but they don't know that.  Or my personal favorite, a simple loss of ground.  People want things to work when they want to use them, and I don't blame them.  Points aren't to bad if you use the engine pretty often, but on like an old grain truck that sits 11 months a year.... they can be "problematic" especially if the truck doesn't sit in a dry concrete floor shed.  

I've swapped several engines like this over to even a cheap Pertronix electronic conversion, and the idle miss, weak spark, sputtering, and plug fouling, and problems associated with sitting, just goes away.  Don't misunderstand..... it's not always the cure, but it does mask over some of the slop in a dist, or problems associated with a weak ignition system that can be fixed, but costs more.  Kits are pretty easy to install, and I didn't have to run out to the farm every fall or spring and file points anymore.  (When I ran my shop.)  They (electronic conversion kits) aren't all that expensive anyway.  But don't do away with points "just because".  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

They make conversion kits for the IH distributors.  No need to swap the whole dist. I've done a few with good results.

Its actually a delco distributor. Its a 427 chevy.

31 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

Should be able to lift the window ,put and Allen hex wrench 🔧 and dial in the dwell . Easy peaeasy.

3 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Heck should be able to find points easy for that. I was wondering what you were talking firewall was issue on ih. Mostly they used front distributor but engine could have been in backwards. Here is what professional mechanics in late 60s used. That dwell meter is still the best it lets you see the needle sweep instead of reading numbers.flex screwdriver with Allen and standard bit has been used a lot

F8EF2CCC-0CD4-4E94-B720-792629BF3AF9.jpeg

6EB54FE8-6E9B-4E83-A922-C08879C348EB.jpeg

13 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Should be able to lift the window ,put and Allen hex wrench 🔧 and dial in the dwell . Easy peaeasy.

Yep, pretty sure there is a special driver in my dads toolbox with that hex bit on it with a flexible cable type shank with a screwdriver handle on it.

11 hours ago, dale560 said:

Heck should be able to find points easy for that. I was wondering what you were talking firewall was issue on ih. Mostly they used front distributor but engine could have been in backwards. Here is what professional mechanics in late 60s used. That dwell meter is still the best it lets you see the needle sweep instead of reading numbers.flex screwdriver with Allen and standard bit has been used a lot

Yep, dad has a hex driver kind of like that. Seems like the flexible part might be made out of finer stuff. Might just be my luck some jack ass made the new points with a metric hex.

19 hours ago, dale560 said:

Got any Western Auto Wizard sockets in that treasure trove?

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Got any Western Auto Wizard sockets in that treasure trove?

No Montgomery wards ,and craftsman.,some thorsen. They need to be organized again.

6 minutes ago, dale560 said:

No Montgomery wards ,and craftsman.,some thorsen. They need to be organized again.

Organize ,why ? Just get messed up again , and it fun to look 👀.

my parents got me a western auto tool set  and box 📦 for a birthday present . I still have some of the tools 🧰 sixty years 

that why I asked about the Wizard 🧙‍♂️ brand was Western Auto 

Electronic ignition would solve a lot of problems here.