Sign in to follow this  
660 driver

My bday gift!

20190907_113228.thumb.jpg.4df7aa97fd515bec8cfaf084b4f97c1f.jpg20190907_113150.thumb.jpg.4ff2a4220a5e7784b259da11efec2497.jpg

• Like 11

That’s a cool piece. Very Nice!

Shot 180gr through and not happy with accuracey. Gonna get some 150 for it.

Outstanding! Happy birthday 

3 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Very nice. Hopefully you’ll get it dialed in.

Did you look at the barrel date to see if it is original or an arsenal upgrade?

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

2 minutes ago, mikem said:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Ahh,  Mike....you have settled down after your   blasphemy   concerning the ever reliable 55T baler.......One of IH   's flagship   implements.......Mine hasn't missed a knot  in all the years I have owned it.......:rolleyes:

Mike

Just now, mike_newman said:

Ahh,  Mike....you have settled down after your   blasphemy   concerning the ever reliable 55T baler.......One of IH   's flagship   implements.......Mine hasn't missed a knot  in all the years I have owned it.......:rolleyes:

Mike

Sounds similar to a political promise, to me..............:lol::D:P:lol:

Mike

• Haha 2

I thought your gift would be goin fishing Antonio...

girls-fishing-500-82.jpg

• Like 2

What present, I want to go fishing!

I've got an IH garand and haven't shot but a clip through it but still love it.  They appreciate in value.

16 hours ago, 660 driver said:

VERY NICE, So are you planning to hunt with it or shoot target competition?

I have a 1903 springfield sported that I shoot 168gr hollow points in, it shoots the most accurate with the 49gr of 4895 - I have never shot an M1 but from all my research the snipers used 1903s and 1903A3s mainly, not sure if the M1G was ever used as a sniper.

I have read the bolts were a little more accurate. My guess would be due to the fact you could put a scope on top easier. I had my bolt handle bent and the action tapped/threaded with a scope mounted on top/center of the barrel. 

Maybe the M1 were made with a scope in the military ? 

If i were to have an M1 I would want a scope on it with my old eyes. My 1903 was a hand me down from my uncle who died before he was able to finish the sport mods and take it hunting. 

I have a friend that shoots them in some original configuration in a club he has gone with the M1 for whatever reason. He shoots 100 and 200 yd with it. 

I did shoot my elk with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets that were very accurate but kicked like a mule I dont remember the gr size of them. I use it for whitetail mainly now with the 168gr. 

I love the M1 and have battled with getting one and the great performance and reliability of them. It would just sit though I cant handle the recoil on those old rifles shooting for fun. 

Maybe when i retire it will give me something more to tinker with - I must admit im a lil jealous so kudos to you for such a beautiful piece of history. The man that held that rifle as well as the rifle itself have so many stories to tell. I often wonder what the story of my rifle is from its birth. 

Enjoy it !!!!! and a belated happy bday to you 🙂

17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Did you look at the barrel date to see if it is original or an arsenal upgrade?

It is 100% original todd. Has the LMR barrel. 

Searcy they did use the garands as snipers too. Tye scope had to be offset to accomodate loading and shell ejection. They are very accurate. Especially with the LMR barrels the IH's came with.

3 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

It is 100% original todd. Has the LMR barrel. 

Good deal. I was asking after you mentioned accuracy. A lot of those were almost shot out. Might check into some go/no-go gauges for that rifle if it doesn’t line out easily. 

21 hours ago, 660 driver said:

That's the same thing I say when I shoot a 500 grain through our .458 Ruger #1.

1 hour ago, 660 driver said:

Searcy they did use the garands as snipers too. Tye scope had to be offset to accomodate loading and shell ejection. They are very accurate. Especially with the LMR barrels the IH's came with.

cool!!! i wonder how the angle of the scope being side mounted affects things over the range of the ballistics - I would think some where it would affect the aim point. 

That’s an awesome bday present! 

Very nice piece of IH history! May go against the grain here a little bit. But there are plenty of shooters out there. If it was mine I would keep it clean and well oiled and bring it out a few times a year for exercise and to hear the sweet sound of that M1 action cycling. No gun should be a safe queen but that one would get some extra special care around my herd.😃

6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good deal. I was asking after you mentioned accuracy. A lot of those were almost shot out. Might check into some go/no-go gauges for that rifle if it doesn’t line out easily. 

So it has 1+ throat erosion and 1+ muzzle erosion which is very good. Most are 2's and 3's. Some as far out as 5 and 6. Ive heard they dont like 180gr. Ive seen very tight groups with 150gr and then they take the same rifle,put 180gr through it and the grouping opened way up. Worse case i get a new criterion barrel for it and oil down and preserve the original LMR barrel. Either way its gonna be an accurate shooter.

with my 1903 in a lead sled i can get .75" groups at 100ys with the 168 hollow points and 49gr powder - with me shooting it, im lucky to get 1.5 inch. In the early 90s i bought a new .270 700 ADL Rem, it shot .50" groups and I didnt have a lead sled then it was amazing!!! wish i still had it, it went with the D 😞

I have never shot 150s in the 1903 but the .270 liked the 125 to 130 rounds. Let us know how it goes - I have an AR .223 and i cant shoot it worth a hooey. Its short and light and moves around too much for me. My daughter loves it and has killed her first two deer w/it. Shoots good in the lead sled though. 

The older 03's were designed to use different ammo than the m1's were. However since the 03's were a bolt gun they didnt even notice hotter loads.