MTO

I should have bought a Rambler

That`s what my dad used to say when ANYTHING broke down.

Whether it was the lawn mower/car/truck/tractor/rake /baler whatever.

There was a Rambler dealer in town back then and I used to think "Who would buy one of those UGLY things?"

Neighbor , bachelor farmer, had a Rambler station wagon that, early 60s vintage, and when he died in 1970 it sat in the wooden one car garage until the garage fell in on it  in 2010.

I wanted that car, why I dunno, but property owner used it for target practice.

Anyone ever have a Rambler?

Dad always wished he had.....:ph34r:

My science teacher in high school had very well-cared-for, late-'60s Rambler wagon.  He was a touch eccentric.  In that era, if you drove a car over 10 years old, it was seen as an old car.  His car was pushing 20 years old.  That Rambler wagon sort of reminded me of my grandfather's '67 Nova wagon in both size and styling...but I preferred my grandfather's Nova.

15 minutes ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

My science teacher in high school had very well-cared-for, late-'60s Rambler wagon.  He was a touch eccentric.  In that era, if you drove a car over 10 years old, it was seen as an old car.  His car was pushing 20 years old.  That Rambler wagon sort of reminded me of my grandfather's '67 Nova wagon in both size and styling...but I preferred my grandfather's Nova.

I’ve never met a science teacher that wasn’t eccentric 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

What you need is Hurst Rambler with a 390 and 4 speed. Fast little cars.

A Rose, is a Rose, Is a Rose, any way you look at it.

Best friend in high school his grandma drove a light blue four door till she passed. I last saw it in the late 80s early 90s sometime...

One of my cousins had a 1960 (l think) Rambler. She drove it back and forth to college until it was just about wore out. Then she bought a '66 Mercury Comet and gave the Rambler to her younger sister. She drove it for several years then got something else. Far as l know it's still sitting down in the pasture behind her house. Main thing l remember about it was it was a weird two tone pink and white......more pink than white.

• Like 1

I had a Green Gremlin new in 1972.  258 I6 with stick shift. 

Did not have any issues with the car.

San Francisco to LA on one tank of fuel at 70 MPH non stop.

Only thing  power was steering.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ha!  I know what you mean.  However, I did have two science teachers who were pretty normal.  One was a chemistry teacher and the other taught biology...neither of the normal teachers drove Ramblers.  The chemistry teacher actually drove a Datsun 240Z!

10 minutes ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Ha!  I know what you mean.  However, I did have two science teachers who were pretty normal.  One was a chemistry teacher and the other taught biology...neither of the normal teachers drove Ramblers.  The chemistry teacher actually drove a Datsun 240Z!

Case in point 

15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Case in point 

True...but this was 1985 and a Datsun 240Z was rather noteworthy at the time.

4 hours ago, MTO said:

That`s what my dad used to say when ANYTHING broke down.

Whether it was the lawn mower/car/truck/tractor/rake /baler whatever.

There was a Rambler dealer in town back then and I used to think "Who would buy one of those UGLY things?"

Neighbor , bachelor farmer, had a Rambler station wagon that, early 60s vintage, and when he died in 1970 it sat in the wooden one car garage until the garage fell in on it  in 2010.

I wanted that car, why I dunno, but property owner used it for target practice.

Anyone ever have a Rambler?

Dad always wished he had.....:ph34r:

Dad had a 1959 wagon, then a 1964 "Cross Country" wagon then a 69 Rebel SST wagon. I for a very short time drove a 64 Ambassador then a 71 Gremlin. 

1 hour ago, oleman said:

I had a Green Gremlin new in 1972.  258 I6 with stick shift. 

Did not have any issues with the car.

San Francisco to LA on one tank of fuel at 70 MPH non stop.

Only thing  power was steering.

I had a 71 Forest green one with the 232 I6 and 3 on the floor. Darn thing if kept tuned would get near 30 MPG. Mine had the sun roof.

Rick

Main thing l remember about it was it was a weird two tone pink and white......more pink than white.

we had the pink 'elephant" 60 wagon

Old neighbor lady we rented a farm from had a 1968 rambler  american 220 2 dr sedan . She alway said her husband Chalmer bought a race car with a big engine. It was a 6cyl 3sp. Only reason they got it was barn burnt the model A ford was  in 68.

My Gremlin was green with a 199 ci six and a 3 on the tree. Sister had a 64 770 pale yellow with black top 2 door with bucket seats. 232 "typhoon" six with a powerglide. Wouldn't spin a wheel on a bucket of grease.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

True...but this was 1985 and a Datsun 240Z was rather noteworthy at the time.

My favorite science teacher, had sheep which he butchered but could not kill, (had to have his wife do that) drove an 87’ Flintstone edition ford ranger 2wd and was OBSESSED with Springsteen. He also had an UBER hot daughter, who did not attend my school but we all had met her, he tried to deflect the conversation every time it steered towards her. 

Of his most noteworthy accomplishments were getting stabbed while driving a cab in Boston, and giving me my nickname that has stuck since in ALL companies, it’s remarkable really. 

2 hours ago, Eric V Bielke said:

Like this

DSCN6126.JPG

DSCN6045.JPG

Children's Jeep dealership in Lawrenceville, lived right down the road from there in the 80's.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

My favorite science teacher, had sheep which he butchered but could not kill, (had to have his wife do that) drove an 87’ Flintstone edition ford ranger 2wd and was OBSESSED with Springsteen. He also had an UBER hot daughter, who did not attend my school but we all had met her, he tried to deflect the conversation every time it steered towards her. 

Of his most noteworthy accomplishments were getting stabbed while driving a cab in Boston, and giving me my nickname that has stuck since in ALL companies, it’s remarkable really. 

I had a biology teacher who would teach us an impromptu lesson on reproduction when he hit ones of his chickens on the way to work with his F150! We would dissect the chicken and identity all of the systems. Best teacher I had!

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Wow!

Coming from you Seth that says a lot!

(Now do not tell everyone how much more it would say if I said that!!)

8 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

Old neighbor lady we rented a farm from had a 1968 rambler  american 220 2 dr sedan . She alway said her husband Chalmer bought a race car with a big engine. It was a 6cyl 3sp. Only reason they got it was barn burnt the model A ford was  in 68.

That would be quite a noticeable change, going from a Model A Ford to 1968 Rambler!!

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would rather hear (and see!) more about the science teacher’s daughter if she is UBER hot.  In the conventional sense.  If she has a skidder, chews tobacco, and generally resembles the gals that you used to chase in Tupper then I will pass.

I do find it peculiar that the science teacher’s stabbing earned YOU a nickname.  Please do not tell us that your nickname was Hannibal, Charles, or some other obscure reference to the stabbing!

Rambler station wagon front seats folded flat to make a bed! Much easier than to try to convince your date to move to the back seat.

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Wow!

Coming from you Seth that says a lot!

(Now do not tell everyone how much more it would say if I said that!!)

That would be quite a noticeable change, going from a Model A Ford to 1968 Rambler!!

I would rather hear (and see!) more about the science teacher’s daughter if she is UBER hot.  In the conventional sense.  If she has a skidder, chews tobacco, and generally resembles the gals that you used to chase in Tupper then I will pass.

I do find it peculiar that the science teacher’s stabbing earned YOU a nickname.  Please do not tell us that your nickname was Hannibal, Charles, or some other obscure reference to the stabbing!

Haven't seen her since high school

Yup, I have a 1966 Rambler American. 290 v8 4spd. Hope to one day have it drivable. 😕

My dad used to work at the local Rambler dealer as a mechanic.