Trailer tire failures

Do you guys see more front or rear trailer axle tire failures?

And to follow up, do you see more failures on left or right side?

One customer has a flat and dump trailer.

His failures are mostly front axle and drivers side. Mostly, not always.

Ditch side for me.  Had one blow out last year.  First real "Blow Out".  It went off like a gun loud enough that it scared me an the people in the car that were passing the trailer!😨  Blew all the way across the tread!

We had a round with blue star 14 ply on the tri axle, chased it all around, was averaging 500 miles per tire. That scuffed front tires the worst. 

Pulled lots of overloaded goosenecks behind pickup. First thing a triple axle with leaf  springs will be super hard on tires . That middle axle usually is just flopping around. The shackles just don’t hold them straight. If your trailer tongue is level your weight should be even on a tandem. But most single tire trailers have bent axles from tight turns. My concrete buddy went to 17.5 tires on his skid steer and other trailers said the heavy axles and rims helped a lot. Surprising how heavy a real 20,000 lb axle is and the abuse they can take

1 minute ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I hear scuffed tires.

How many trailers have been aligned?

How many trailers lend themselves to alignment? Aside from physically bending stuff, how you gonna align one? I’ve had one with a bent stub axle tweaked, it made a difference. 

Drivers side rear axle on my car trailer is flat every time i go to use it🤔🤔...seeing a pattern there....maybe i should fix it....

Seriously...most of mine are rear axle flats. Front axle kicks something up and gets stuck in the rear tires. Car trailer, cattle trailer, and gooseneck all the same way.

We have pulled a 48 foot step-deck trailer well over 1,000,000 miles, in the rear are 8 ea 12R22.5 14 ply.

When you get over 40,000# on the trailer is when the tires old tires start failing.

We always remember the inners failing mostly on the rear axle.

Only have had one blow-out on a pick-up style trailer.  It was a front drivers side tire.  D rated  14" Goodyear.  Well overloaded for over 1500 miles. on I20 at 65 MPH.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

We have pulled a 48 foot step-deck trailer well over 1,000,000 miles, in the rear are 8 ea 12R22.5 14 ply.

When you get over 40,000# on the trailer is when the tires old tires start failing.

We always remember the inners failing mostly on the rear axle.

Only have had one blow-out on a pick-up style trailer.  It was a front drivers side tire.  D rated  14" Goodyear.  Well overloaded for over 1500 miles. on I20 at 65 MPH.

I could blow a tire in less than 100 miles. Than again the trailer wasn’t made for the loads that were on it. 🤬 

Usually the small excavator was the culprit. 

I look after a fleet. Then brush chippers, 4400 lbs on a 5200 lb Torflex axle. After 8 to 10 years they have excessive camber and are probably toe out. Scrubs off a tire in three months. Most of the shredded tires are from low pressure. Dumb drivers can't/won't check them pre-trip.

Rear tires on everything here. I always figure the first tire kicks up nails/screws/debris just in time for the rear to pick it up.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, MTO said:

Do you guys see more front or rear trailer axle tire failures?

And to follow up, do you see more failures on left or right side?

One customer has a flat and dump trailer.

His failures are mostly front axle and drivers side. Mostly, not always.

I had a new H&H gooseneck with 7k axles and i started loosing the tire in the same spot. every time i fill up with fuel i walk around and check hubs. That particular one was always alot hotter then the others. I ran the bearing tight, ran it loose, re packed it and it was always hot. After the 3rd tire i took it to allied tire in Des Moines to have them check alignment. When the trailer was empty the camber/caster was within spec. Once we put 4 bulk totes of oil on the trailer running it inside and out a couple times that particular wheel deflected almost 6 degrees! come to find out the spindle wasnt heat treated enough and would flex under load. Warranty put a new axle under the trailer

The one that hits the curb first going around corners 

• Haha 1