Not  necessarily split the track, take out the two bolts and see if you can screw it out all the way. If not you'll atleast have to slip the track off the front idler so you got more room to thread the tightener out. I just replaced mine but I changed everything and I dont recall how far out that comes

Local fellow here would give all his machines his personal treatment and he had many over the years. He would convert them to hydraulic machining a housing attaching to mid housing and ram to the idler mount, quite compact but effective, think he would just cut out the old in place and with new arrangement dry he could install and grease to expand.

i should have taken some pics :(

Yes, it does rotate, you take out the two small bolts behind the idler wheel, loosen the big lock nut at the back and then turn the threaded shaft with the big hex near the two smaller bolts.

George

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Dennis Geisler said:

Couldn't adjust the track tightener after welding so took out two bolts connecting it to front idler, used a small hydraulic jack to move idler ahead and installed a 3/8'' shim wi109083683_TD6.thumb.jpg.bc3a613402f7e67b624f95f2a5ce085a.jpgth longer bolts to bring track to right tension. Adjusted other side the same all is well!

That’s certainly one solution that many have used... your threaded rod looks to be in pretty decent condition.. and the lock nut would have kept a lot of moisture/crud from entering the inside threads ... I’m sure if you decide to adjust it in the future you could break the seized rod loose with some penetrating fluid, some applied heat, and some good torque....