Cat 3208 into Farmall 706

crowley

Hi All,

Ive got a Farmall 706 with a D282 that is stuffed. Id like to swap in a Cat 3208 for something different, as i have one available.

I have a few questions regarding the swap, if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

1. Will the shorter chassis rails fit the 3208?

2. What type of adaptor plate is required to mate the engine to the transmission? Will it be custom machined?

3. Does the radiator from a D282 have an inlet and outlet that suits the 3208?

4. I have a NA 3208, somewhere around 210HP i think, can the rear end of the 706 handle slow speed tractor pulling once per year?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have- i realise it may be frowned upon to put a Cat engine in an IH machine, but they look awesome and turn heads!

Cheers

Crowley

2 hours ago, crowley said:

Hi All,

Ive got a Farmall 706 with a D282 that is stuffed. Id like to swap in a Cat 3208 for something different, as i have one available.

I have a few questions regarding the swap, if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

2. What type of adaptor plate is required to mate the engine to the transmission? Will it be custom machined?

4. I have a NA 3208, somewhere around 210HP i think, can the rear end of the 706 handle slow speed tractor pulling once per year?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have- i realise it may be frowned upon to put a Cat engine in an IH machine, but they look awesome and turn heads!

Cheers

Crowley

1.) I'd be a lot more worried about width.  You'll likely have to make frame rails.

2.) Custom

3.) Not likely.  But if you're tractor pulling what difference does it make?  It isn't going to need much if any radiator cooling in 300'. 

4.) Sure.  It will run until it breaks.  Eventually, it will.  That's tractor pulling.

My thoughts on projects like this are: the guys who have the knowledge and ability to do it, don't ask questions on a forum before starting.  They post pictures after its done. 

I have a friend of mine 5 min from my house that has a perfectly restored 706 with a 3208 Cat in it . If you want I can get you in contact with him just send me a pm .

Danny 

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I have a friend of mine 5 min from my house that has a perfectly restored 706 with a 3208 Cat in it . If you want I can get you in contact with him just send me a pm .

Danny 

If it's not too much trouble get us some photos of this beast.

17 hours ago, crowley said:

Hi All,

1. The rails width is going to be a concern, not so much the length. Depending on how you have to mount it to the rails and keep it straight, you may have issues with it breaking out. Hopefully this is an equipment 3208, as otherwise, even on a 706- you're going to need to do pump work, re-cam for a torque/industrial setup,

2. You will need a 1/2", but prefererably 3/4" adapter plate. Verify that you will not have starter placement issues. Make your template, take to a small shop with an EDM, and have them cut your adapter. You're also going to have to deal with the input shaft which is now 1/2"-3/4" back farther than it should be. These are not small or cheap considerations sir.

3. It's more the cooling you need to worry about, does the D-282 radiator have enough cooling fins and thickness to cool your application ? How about your fan shroud ? Do you still have it ? If not- can you work aluminum flashing or light gauge aluminum such that you can have a shroud that will work in tandem with your fan. Otherwise, you need to consider a 3208 radiator out of a manual truck that uses no cooler, do measurements on that- see if it will fit. In my TD-340 I have an aluminum radiator meant for flathead Ford application per Ebay, the shroud is worked from 4 pieces of aluminum riveted together. I'm going to guess you will need  a 3208 radiator or an aftermarket aluminum radiator that will fit in the 706 radiator cradle. Best I remember a 3208 is around 600 ci- like 566ci. That's significantly larger than 282 cubic inches of straight six, more water jacket to cover. I've done a lot of Skunk Works swaps, but when you get this buckwild, time to be thinking ahead.  Shoe-horning is not for the feint of heart.

4. The rear end should handle the 175-200hp that engine will make, but the transmission is the issue immediately. I think if you use this as a regular use tractor, you're asking for trouble, and yes, the rear will eventually give under the duress this engine's HP and Torque and Weight will produce. You might think of camming it down to produce a similar amount of HP to the 282 or a bit more- maybe 125hp. Extra 45hp to compensate for the weight. I recommend talking to Bullet cams, have your 706's 282 available, mic the lobes to see what kind of lift it was producing, maybe send it to Bullet and let them design a cam for your engine at something like 125hp.

If you have a manual shop make your adapter, you're looking at $300-$400 minimum for the adapter and that is if you get a break on the cost of a sheet of 1/2" -3/4".

27 minutes ago, Geardoc said:

1. The rails width is going to be a concern, not so much the length. Depending on how you have to mount it to the rails and keep it straight, you may have issues with it breaking out. Hopefully this is an equipment 3208, as otherwise, even on a 706- you're going to need to do pump work, re-cam for a torque/industrial setup,

2. You will need a 1/2", but prefererably 3/4" adapter plate. Verify that you will not have starter placement issues. Make your template, take to a small shop with an EDM, and have them cut your adapter. You're also going to have to deal with the input shaft which is now 1/2"-3/4" back farther than it should be. These are not small or cheap considerations sir.

3. It's more the cooling you need to worry about, does the D-282 radiator have enough cooling fins and thickness to cool your application ? How about your fan shroud ? Do you still have it ? If not- can you work aluminum flashing or light gauge aluminum such that you can have a shroud that will work in tandem with your fan. Otherwise, you need to consider a 3208 radiator out of a manual truck that uses no cooler, do measurements on that- see if it will fit. In my TD-340 I have an aluminum radiator meant for flathead Ford application per Ebay, the shroud is worked from 4 pieces of aluminum riveted together. I'm going to guess you will need  a 3208 radiator or an aftermarket aluminum radiator that will fit in the 706 radiator cradle. Best I remember a 3208 is around 600 ci- like 566ci. That's significantly larger than 282 cubic inches of straight six, more water jacket to cover. I've done a lot of Skunk Works swaps, but when you get this buckwild, time to be thinking ahead.  Shoe-horning is not for the feint of heart.

4. The rear end should handle the 175-200hp that engine will make, but the transmission is the issue immediately. I think if you use this as a regular use tractor, you're asking for trouble, and yes, the rear will eventually give under the duress this engine's HP and Torque and Weight will produce. You might think of camming it down to produce a similar amount of HP to the 282 or a bit more- maybe 125hp. Extra 45hp to compensate for the weight. I recommend talking to Bullet cams, have your 706's 282 available, mic the lobes to see what kind of lift it was producing, maybe send it to Bullet and let them design a cam for your engine at something like 125hp.

If you have a manual shop make your adapter, you're looking at $300-$400 minimum for the adapter and that is if you get a break on the cost of a sheet of 1/2" -3/4".

Sounds like way more trouble than its worth only to get done and then probably tear up what good parts are left of the tractor.......?

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sounds like way more trouble than its worth only to get done and then probably tear up what good parts are left of the tractor.......?

That's about it.  A lot of the time when you go this radical, it boils down to Do I really wanna ? Do I have the bread ($$$) ? Do I have the time ? Can I deal with the potential blow back from the swap ? If the answers are all yes, you go ahead.

I've made 2wd tractors 4wd tractors using military and other tractor pieces.

I've made the steel "condoms" that extent the input shaft, you have to setup a dividing head with bar stock that is already tapered and then you have to do it with a shaper(my preferred method) or a slotting head on a bridgeport, then you have to cut the splines and taper them because they have to fit inside the throw-out bearing push out against the crankshaft.

There is an International 886 in Commerce with a DT-466 sans the turbo. He got the engine out of a manure spreader truck. Too eat up to fix. I did the swap for him, held his hand, Crane was still in business in FL back then and would do custom cams.

It is a Factory 4x4 tractor, he takes immaculate care of the drive line, but we modified so much, it wasn't worth it. I tried to convince him to find a 358 IH and be done. Nope. 466 or to the scrap yard and it was a beauty of a tractor.

There is a picture of one-might be the one Danny is referring to on the on one of the Facebook groups

706 cat 3208.jpg

Here is the one my friend owns , he bought the tractor with the conversation done and he did the painting , it's really nice . Kristin Gall on here has his 1208 and that has a 9.0 liter IH motor in that , very nicely done conversion too .

Danny

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 9/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, DirtBoyz07 said:

Here is the one my friend owns , he bought the tractor with the conversation done and he did the painting , it's really nice . Kristin Gall on here has his 1208 and that has a 9.0 liter IH motor in that , very nicely done conversion too .

Danny

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The second picture looks like it was taken in Des Moines, Iowa during the roundup in 2017? I personally like the black exhaust, nice touch with a yellow engine. I also like the exhaust more towards the front. Thanks for sharing. Tell your buddy I said nice tractor!?

Very interesting project!  If you need accurate hole locations for the 706 bell housing I have a dxf for it. If you need the info on me and I can email the file. I made an adapter to put a cummins 6ctam into an 806. Conversion is 80 percent complete. Will post pics of it all when finished. Always plan on spending a lot more than you first thought! And also taking a lot more time. 

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

These are from Red Power 2016 in Union Grove.  

85573C17-BDE8-4E37-8241-5F894D06D35F.png

DE422162-69B0-479C-B7AC-6DEC9F5E12C1.png

RPRU 2017 

3CC3C598-4339-40D3-A044-64850AAEC92A.png

The unpainted one is my uncle's. I dont think he had to widen the frame rails at all. He had to move the oil filters to the outside of the frame rails otherwise I think he said fit nice.

Archived