acem

1000 shaft, too short, solutions?

I have a couple tractors with the short 1000 shaft. They will not latch up to a mower I use. I need to modify either the shafts or coupler. At this point I am planning to modify the one coupler.

I searched the forum and found others with the same problem.

What solution did yall come up with and how did it work out?

Thx-Ace

The correct way to fix it is to replace the shaft in the tractor with a new one. New 1000 shafts are the correct length.

Travis

the incorrect method did I use years ago on our 1586 was I held a small angle grinder at the Thousand RPM share and I ground another locking groove on it. it served its purpose until eventually the shaft broke off due to other problems then it was replaced with a newer correct length shaft

SIL had one on his 1486 i am sure it was put in from a older tractor but he ground the front of the yoke he had to put on until it fit. ground about 1/8 of a inch off

wow never had that issue

3 hours ago, hagan said:

SIL had one on his 1486 i am sure it was put in from a older tractor but he ground the front of the yoke he had to put on until it fit. ground about 1/8 of a inch off

That's what I did, couple minutes with grinder.  My 806 is only one I got with the short shaft, also one of the few 1000's here not snapped off yet

06’s were the most common to have the shorter 1000 shaft.

my 806 Wheatland has the short shaft. Knight manure spreader PTO wouldn't latch, until I ground a little off the end of the universal.

My 1256 has the short shaft... grinder makes a quick fix

766 had two hole under the tractor in the drawbar. You slid it forward for the short pto.

Edited by VacDaddyt
Wrong letter in word

14 minutes ago, VacDaddyt said:

766 had two hole under the tractor in the drawbar. You slid it forward for the short pto.

No the shaft itself was too short and close to the case so coupler wouldn’t slide on far enough to lock.

9 hours ago, jass1660 said:

No the shaft itself was too short and close to the case so coupler wouldn’t slide on far enough to lock.

Yep.  Had a 1466 with a short shaft.  Found out that the FP240 chopper would not latch on.  We just switched to another tractor then and double checked the latch anytime we hooked a 1000 shaft to the 1466

I discovered this attempting to hook a grain vac to the 706 back in high school.  The 856 custom was the only tractor we had new enough to work at the time.  Dealer explanation at the time was the shaft change prevented  tractors without enough horsepower from operating large equipment.   I never believed that.

Had the PTO rebuilt a couple years ago, installed the later shaft then.  

Well my solution for is to cut hay with my hydro 186  (ac is nice) and bale with my 1486 4 post (open station is hot and dusty). Not my preferred situation but it works for now... Thx-Ace