redpower123

1680 combine 1020 grain table jumping up and down

When in auto mode I sit the head down and it starts going up and down it stays on the ground but it never stops working. I have turned the sensitivity knob doesn’t make any difference.wondering if anyone has any idea 

Is there an accumulator in the system? If so, try closing the valve on it.

the accumulator gas charge may be gone the accumulator smooths out the auto header height movement

I would check all of the adjustments per the header operators manual first, including the feeler pads under the head.  Lube all of the shaft pivots under the head.   If you still have the cable operated potentiometer, there is a solid linkage upgrade that is worth the investment imo.  If this is the first time you are using this head with this combine, it is possible you have a wrong potentiometer on the head for the 1600 series.  How is the air pressure in the main tires?  The 1640 I had was pretty jumpy and I found I could turn the sensitivity up as the hopper filled.  Onetime I made a potentiometer lever that was a little longer to make the header control less sensitive.  Good luck.

Your cable is most likely sticky on the potentiometer,  mine did that to me last year, lubed up cable and good to go. 

It's a bad design,  the cable points up and we all know not everyone of these heads gets put inside.

I've been to lazy to fix something that's not broke, but everyone tells me the solid rod setup is far superior to the cable. 

10 minutes ago, axial_al said:

was

You all gave me a lot of good ideas to check out I’ll see what I can come up with thanks 

my 1620 and 1020 use to jump like a bucking bronco.  upgraded to the

rod linkage.  also installed a resistor to allow for more sensitivity through

the control knob.  here are some links to more discussions on this problem.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=815838

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=803233

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=732209

good luck!

Duane

Good advice listed above.

I have had 4 maybe 5 situations (all 16xx series) where I have checked all the things mentioned and did not find the problem. What I have done is run new wires from control box on side of cab to the plug on the feeder and have solved the problem. If I remember correctly, there is a multi pin plug at the left rear of the feeder that is hard to access. Either the wires went bad or was a bad connection in the multi pin plug.

You need the resistor pack.  This is a normal result of putting a 1020 on a 14xx-16xx combine. Here is why:   The combine AHC uses a 8V reference to the header, and expects a 3V-5V return signal from the header pot (the old "Clear" pot on the 800 platforms).   The 21-25xx combines and the 1020 heads still used the 8V reference, but the pot on the header has more swing---a typical head outputs 2V to 6V.

SO a 820 platform has ~2V of swing.   A 1020 platform has ~4V of swing---this makes it 2x as sensitive when hooked to a 14-16xx combine!  And thus the jump.   

We get this question all the time at Headsight...and have a part to fix it.   Order HP1-IH14-RED.  Its a resistor pack that plugs in-line at the 3 pin round header connection, and cuts the voltage swing down to the 3-5V your combine wants.   CIH also may sell one---you can check.

BTW---it also reverses the polarity of the swing, which somebody must have already done on your header---as a 1020 head should be "backwards" from a 820 normally.  SO you will have to switch A & C back at the header plug for the above harness to work.

Most of the above comments are also relevant---a properly charged accumulator can affect this.  Slowing the drop rate will also help.  A sticky cable can cause hop--but that is usually more erratic---the head will come up a random distance and then suddenly lower again.  However, since your combine is working (goes up and down) but just is bouncy--that is the classic symptom of needing the resistor pack.  I've even had a few combines where we had to stack 2!

CaseIH offers a harness similar to what Jeff is describing. 

E12272EA-B6D7-402C-B5BB-6DCC7432770B.jpeg