74 1700 engine

Dad's 74 1700 truck engine blew up last fall. Pulling it now, but made a lot of noise and locked up, guessing dropped a valve or spun a bearing. How can I find out what engine it is? He has a 345 that he got a few years ago supposed to be freshly overhauled, pickup it was for burned in a garage fire. The original engine has a 4 bbl Holley and exhaust manifolds have 3 bolt flange for the pipe. Donor is 2 bbl and 2 bolt exhaust pipe flange manifolds. We will tear the 345 down and reseal and possibly rering since it's been setting for over 10 years. Will manifolds swap from one to the other? If this had a 392, will the 345 bolt in its place? Thanks, Robert 

You may find the engine model stamped in the block on the right side of the engine, front.  They machined a smooth area under the front of the right  head and stamped the engine size there.  Rub the grease and oil off, and can sometimes see it through the inner fender, above the front tire.

392 and 345 interchange.

Now- both 304 and 345 come with 2bbl's- so be careful. A 345 will take a 392-4bb intake. A 304 is strictly a 2bbl engine(save aftermarket).

I've seen 1600 and 1700 Loadstars swap out to Scout engines- 345 & 392. They lasted.

Took the donor apart, it was just a rering job, and looks like original cam, lifters are slightly cupped. Fuel pump eccentric wasn't installed properly and bolt was loose. Standard pistons with a little wear on front 2 cylinders. We'll have it checked at machine shop. Where is a good place to get parts? Dad and brother pulled truck engine, I'll look for number on block today. Pan had 3 gallons of antifreeze in it, guessing spun bearing, broken rod or dropped valve, check further today, thanks

Archived