The Other Greg

Cargostar 1850B

My search for a water/dump truck continues...we are literally running out of water as our well has failed and the water man is getting all of my money. Its very frustrating knowing I can drive a "big truck" CDL and can buy water for 3 bucks a thousand gallons in town but cannot afford a late model or find a decent older truck to buy or trade for.

I have narrowed my search down to a Cargostar 1850B. Reason being, they seem like the most versatile trucks. Originally I was a loadstar fan but have moved to the Cargostar series. I like the idea of a Perkins or IH DT series diesel paired with airbrakes and either an Allison auto or standard tranny. I think the best configuration for me now would be a dump body as I will use it for both a slide in poly water tank AND hauling dirt.

I have been trawling facebook marketplace, craigslist, and auction sites. I find pictures of trucks that have sold in 2012! This is not helpful. Not much out there...am I missing something? Id prefer a private sale and will travel to pickup.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Greg

Don't know where you are but California has to put particulate filters on anything before 2010 year truck engines or park them by Jan 2020. There are a lot people dreaming what they can sell 90's vintage truck for still but some bargains to if your taking them out of state.

But maybe not that many IH trucks. But hay what wrong with a Pete or KW if the price and specs are right for you.

They are tough to find... Not many are water trucks. Your best bet is to find a Grain truck and get a Water tank put inside of it, Most usually many of the cargostars are in the mid-west, Illinois and so on. 

Do U have vehicle to pull a tandem trailer with your poly tank on ?