Jump to content

1966 1200 Factory LP Flat bed.


Recommended Posts

4/2/21

Engine was balance and final assembly .

working on doors , window regulators , latches etc , window wing frames were removed for polishing , getting cab ready for paint. 

tony 

D9A1D56E-2CD7-457C-ACEF-BF3A991C58E4.jpeg

449538B1-43AF-4F5B-8075-D201C32C0DAC.jpeg

3CEE0534-296B-4968-9B20-E4D22C8CC7FA.jpeg

8A87B8B6-1779-4F13-B66B-68E088518F9E.jpeg

B7C06936-845B-4CB2-A418-B4F21D9E3427.jpeg

D0B11744-2320-4853-8CB9-E3C88F765E47.jpeg

489063D4-37CE-4F8C-ABFC-5F8D5682A80C.jpeg

FA5B0129-84A8-4287-86B5-AD04D7ED52C5.jpeg

DF19FD39-C111-4AFD-A94C-529C3F59BE81.jpeg

2EDAA02E-1B53-4051-9586-A357083E6F26.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW this a 392 engine but we are planning on leaving it on LP as truck has been it’s entire life , the original engine we replaced with this 392 was a 304 .

tony 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My plan is Red , red bed frame , new top metal bed to be coated with same black coating as on the GMC Denali bed, propane tank on bed red , boxes  under bed sides Stainless or chrome doors .

metal stakes red and one x six board boarder having polished 6” stainless outside, can’t see wood .

Not too imaginative on Red but in my mind’s eye , IH is red . Not trying to copy RedKid but don’t mine having bopsy twins . Lol 

rims not sure 

Tony

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure is a pretty looking engine. Fil has talked about a late 60s early 70s  IH with a 392 4bl and dual exhaust that belonged to local electrical contractor he worked for. Iirc there was something about a speeding ticket. I guess it ran pretty well.....?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Sure is a pretty looking engine. Fil has talked about a late 60s early 70s  IH with a 392 4bl and dual exhaust that belonged to local electrical contractor he worked for. Iirc there was something about a speeding ticket. I guess it ran pretty well.....?

Thanks gives me confidence on the old 392.

I would prefer a four barrel , however , we are trying to keep this on propane as original so it looks like May end up with two barrel .

tony 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

 

I would prefer a four barrel , however , we are trying to keep this on propane as original so it looks like May end up with two barrel .

tony 

Maybe you need an IH America aluminum 4 barrel intake?  hint hint

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, redturbo said:

Maybe you need an IH America aluminum 4 barrel intake?  hint hint

It’s not the manifold , it’s the LP equipment that will dictate.

tony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did they ever make a 4 barrel LP intake for anything?  I can’t imagine so but I’ve been wrong before (just ask my wife) ?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Did they ever make a 4 barrel LP intake for anything?  I can’t imagine so but I’ve been wrong before (just ask my wife) ?

Yes, both a square bore and a Quadrajet replacement.

Just order the adapter to fit your mixer and the way you go.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Yes, both a square bore and a Quadrajet replacement.

Just order the adapter to fit your mixer and the way you go.

 

I was thinking traditional intake manifold but that makes sense. You can adapt almost anything with enough $$ now-a-days. Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 5:30 AM, Sledgehammer said:

I was thinking traditional intake manifold but that makes sense. You can adapt almost anything with enough $$ now-a-days. Thanks 

When it comes time for LP equipment set up , we will make those decisions . 
if I was running gas deffinatly would want four barrel , but here want pulling power and reliability .

Good thing about LP is it does not go bad , no bio crap in it !lol 

tony 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know....its yours.

What about a 2 tone?  Red with the white to kinda honor Herb?  I dont know....something to mix it up a bit in the shop next to RedKid.  I like the bed plans and color schemes for sure!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ain’t a thing wrong with a two barrel, I could quote many examples but to keep it IH, the MV404 in my Dad’s 81 S1724 had no problem consuming tons of gasoline with only two barrels, when I ran derbies with a sbc a Rochester 2G was the cat’s meow, I’ve run into enough circle track motors of 80-2000 vintage that were regulated to 2 barrel, bottom line, I’m justifying that there is no problem with the 2 barrel as originally designed, it’s going to be awesome regardless, possibly the original propane system is one that you don’t update, it has better brakes, tires, paint, etc, than original but still runs as originally intended

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4/13/21

 A long term problem finally resolved , 

Found the needle in hay stack , a power steering gear box that will work a 100% .     It is a D series power steering gear box . Now we can proceed with brackets and making steering and disk brakes work and fit .

Decided to place battery in one of tool boxes to clean up engine bay .

tony

0472CFDF-8D7F-4F9D-A7A7-DB5186050371.jpeg

83493C25-6CCA-4D25-968D-B74555BF1DFF.jpeg

9F45D0E3-BF8D-49AA-81FB-3D199E966F92.jpeg

7EEBBE49-92F7-4B23-A356-C38F5CC15C3F.jpeg

2012F1D2-BF6F-48AD-A94A-543D83AED242.jpeg

B4D955BD-38A5-4B7D-B8F5-9BB7A0999996.jpeg

1C96F684-D2DA-4B7F-BD1D-000CCA0D8821.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's looking great, Tony! I haven't seen but one LP IH truck in my life. Is there any loss of power running that fuel vs gasoline? Don't really know too much about running an engine on LP, propane, etc., except for the fact that the burn really clean.

I'd like to cast my one vote to keep the truck white. It looks sharp in your first pics in this post & looked great on the trailer behind your Chebby. I'm also curious what the line ticket says about the original color. Was it white from the factory? Either/or, it's your canvas.... paint it however you wish. It is part of what makes a restoration enjoyable, after all.

Looking forward to the outcome of this & your beautiful yellow baler.

 

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

That's looking great, Tony! I haven't seen but one LP IH truck in my life. Is there any loss of power running that fuel vs gasoline? Don't really know too much about running an engine on LP, propane, etc., except for the fact that the burn really clean.

I'd like to cast my one vote to keep the truck white. It looks sharp in your first pics in this post & looked great on the trailer behind your Chebby. I'm also curious what the line ticket says about the original color. Was it white from the factory? Either/or, it's your canvas.... paint it however you wish. It is part of what makes a restoration enjoyable, after all.

Looking forward to the outcome of this & your beautiful yellow baler.

 

Mike

Thank you for comments and thoughts.

As for power loss on L.P., If its set up properly it should be very close. I had many farmers in my life growing up that ran L.P. on their pickups and I never heard them say one way or other.

 As for Color, He bought this as a 3/4 pickup with factory propane , It was two tone white and brownish green. When He finished bed He then painted it all white.

At this point I am planning on Red, only because I am really a I.H. tractor guy and of course all my IH's are red including the 1/2 ton pickup I have, I think I would like to follow through with the I.H. theme of red on this one also.

My vision is all red top of bed black spray on liner like on new GMC's the one by six board border would like to outline with stainless steel sheeting and painted red stakes against the stainless . 

 Tony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

Thank you for comments and thoughts.

As for power loss on L.P., If its set up properly it should be very close. I had many farmers in my life growing up that ran L.P. on their pickups and I never heard them say one way or other.

 As for Color, He bought this as a 3/4 pickup with factory propane , It was two tone white and brownish green. When He finished bed He then painted it all white.

At this point I am planning on Red, only because I am really a I.H. tractor guy and of course all my IH's are red including the 1/2 ton pickup I have, I think I would like to follow through with the I.H. theme of red on this one also.

My vision is all red top of bed black spray on liner like on new GMC's the one by six board border would like to outline with stainless steel sheeting and painted red stakes against the stainless . 

 Tony

Makes sense about the red paint. Anything sounds better than the original white & brown.? My parents had a brown '74 Maverick & I have been biased against that color on a vehicle, tractor, et al, since. Your idea for the bed sounds great. Can't wait to see it done.

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

At this point I am planning on Red, only because I am really a I.H. tractor guy and of course all my IH's are red including the 1/2 ton pickup I have, I think I would like to follow through with the I.H. theme of red on this one also.

l was gonna say paint it yeller like the baler but l know you would dis-own me as a friend if l did.....?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red has always been one of my favorite colors, however I can't help but think it would be a neat photo op of 1 ih red truck and one ih 901( or any other number) ih white? In any case it will be sharp when your done with it Tony.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You Guys are making me think this over! 
I still have a few weeks to decide!

also my vision is a very well sanded and painted propane tank same place as original

and have our local pinstripe  guy do the shop logo on tank facing back , with IH 905 type color . 
Here was Herb’s logo , I would like to have our Easton community pinstriper Jerry Egorian do that logo on propane tank with same colors or fashion he does the weights on my tractors . White on weights is IH .

  Logo  on back center of the tank . also I plan to leave the electric lift he built on there just clean it up to look nice . It works , Painted red also , we are planning a plate on bottom  so I can remove it if I want to show or use with gooseneck attached.

BTW logo is Herb’s father and Herb’s time owning and operating shop . AFter 96 Herb became  ill and his Son & Grandson took it to early 2000’s when Don the son sold out , I purchased the truck from Herb’s grandson Brian who had secured a job in LA and could not take the old binder 

Tony 

tony 

80903CC3-0F61-4FAA-98F6-6CDFFEAE192A.jpeg

308609D3-2171-495C-8519-82F4CDA19F01.jpeg

69BCE97C-0BA3-4E9A-BCA8-4C24F5F86334.jpeg

FB446F6D-4417-43E5-828E-130E73773A7D.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...