Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, exSW said:

Love that style. Back in the '80's those were the ones. A step up from white spokes. But unless the metalurgy has improved I wouldn't use them on a work/towing truck. A set of deep dish steelies that would take the IH dog dish hub caps would be my vote. Stockton wheel still around?

I was thinking along the same lines. I think there are some stock looking steel wheels for some companies that are just a larger diameter to accommodate more modern tire sizes. The addition of a factory style hub cap would be pretty cool on an 18-20” factory looking steel wheel. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4/2/21 Engine was balance and final assembly . working on doors , window regulators , latches etc , window wing frames were removed for polishing , getting cab ready for paint.  tony 

In 1966 starting my Farming career , I watched my local Blacksmith / family friend , purchase this truck new and build the bed for it.  I was 21 no money trying to farm with old IH equipment that

Guys have been working on bed , preparing for lites , etc  Received a few items that were sent out for polishing etc . tony 

Posted Images

On 11/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, exSW said:

Love that style. Back in the '80's those were the ones. A step up from white spokes. But unless the metalurgy has improved I wouldn't use them on a work/towing truck. A set of deep dish steelies that would take the IH dog dish hub caps would be my vote. Stockton wheel still around?

As far as I know Stockton has merged with some big supplier that no longer makes custom wheels ! 
tried to have deep dish steelies made 

the shop tried finding a source also .

the good thing about these is they are very reasonable so if I find something I really want I can get another set .

as oppose to the RedKid those wheels were custom made for it ! No changing unless I want to spend big money and I am loosing my appetite for that lol .

tony

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2020 at 10:37 AM, Sledgehammer said:

I was thinking along the same lines. I think there are some stock looking steel wheels for some companies that are just a larger diameter to accommodate more modern tire sizes. The addition of a factory style hub cap would be pretty cool on an 18-20” factory looking steel wheel. 

I am looking ! But to keep moving on we are starting out with the indys , hopefully there will be something that melts my butter come along.

if you look at the original before pic , I believe Herb made those rear wheels himself , I like them but cannot use hub cap , even the front ones don’t take period correct hub cap .

Tony 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic 5 spoke will look great on that old work truck.  I see your engine has nice IH America aluminum valve covers,  are they getting polished?  The radiator looks awesome all polished up,  how long does that shine stay?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

As far as I know Stockton has merged with some big supplier that no longer makes custom wheels ! 
tried to have deep dish steelies made 

the shop tried finding a source also .

the good thing about these is they are very reasonable so if I find something I really want I can get another set .

as oppose to the RedKid those wheels were custom made for it ! No changing unless I want to spend big money and I am loosing my appetite for that lol .

tony

There was a factory GM deep dish but the center hole was to small to fit over a nonGM hub(at least Ford and Dodge).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, redturbo said:

Classic 5 spoke will look great on that old work truck.  I see your engine has nice IH America aluminum valve covers,  are they getting polished?  The radiator looks awesome all polished up,  how long does that shine stay?

I will look into it , thanks .

yes I plan to polish them when we begin final assembly. 
I have polished tanks on my other pick up and so far it’s been polished several years just need little TLC once twice a year .

I learned about that brass under paint that older IH’s had from my LP equipment on the SMTA & 806 LP under all that red paint was beautiful metals that could be polished .Not to mention the hydraulic pumps on the 400,300u ,SMTA they buff out great , then clear coat and they look new for long time .

both my truck’s tanks were painted black I happen to scratch one on other truck and walla beautiful brass under that ugly black . On both trucks I had old tanks polished and made sure buffer left the IH parts tag on them , they both have original buffed tanks top and bottom with new cores .If we seal it with clear coat it holds the shine much longer , I have not done it on the trucks but I now do it on all my LP buffed equipment including new Havac lines used , I have them lightly blasted then powder coat a clear and they remain looking new .Come to think of it , I am  Not sure if we clear coated the tanks on the RedKid .

tony

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alum slots imo are period correct and just look right on most vehicles from the 60s and 70s. I do like and was going to suggest stock steel wheels and hubcaps for this project too. Maybe a lil wider than original, at least on back?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Alum slots imo are period correct and just look right on most vehicles from the 60s and 70s. I do like and was going to suggest stock steel wheels and hubcaps for this project too. Maybe a lil wider than original, at least on back?

I am looking and when I find something better I will jump .

tony

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Ford steel wheels should fit through to 98, Dodge should fit until 94, I believe bolt pattern is 8x6.5, center hole of Chevy is too small, not sure you will find a 10” rim though and can’t say if hub caps will fit if you go that route, might be more choices now than years ago

Recall looking at a Chevy truck in the 80’s that had wide rally wheels, never offered by GM, widest factory was 8”, he had the tools and skills to cut and extend them out to 10” with another set of sacrificial rims, you can just buy them aftermarket and wider now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Work has slowed lately!   12/22/20

working on bed , mostly now fitting new lites going to fit a B&w gooseneck hitch , and fitting tool boxes in front of rear wheels along frame.

Tony 

D195FFA9-C359-40ED-AAB3-968F2B9536C8.jpeg

E84DC061-C1EF-4B22-A557-2C80CEC810EE.jpeg

9C9036E4-4933-4878-9FC1-8B2E334D8091.jpeg

3E7D62F3-875D-4CD1-B073-DA237C8D790A.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2020 at 1:09 PM, exSW said:

Ok,I missed something. When did it get rear disks? And is that a Dana rear end or IH?

It’s a Gm rear end . 
tony 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Not much going on 

 they are working on odds and ends and dealing with covid problems at the shop.

tony

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, Tonyinca said:

Not much going on 

 they are working on odds and ends and dealing with covid problems at the shop.

tony

 

Fwiw..... I am confident them Indy rims will be just fine under 99.9% of conditions.  The aluminum wheels today are as strong as steel.  Or better possibly.   I swore she was a dually but didnt look back at pictures to refresh.....?  I love going up to a 18".  Better ride/handling and more common today.  Touch of modern and still style of 70s.  Good move.  Also... Wheel Vintiques may be able to get/make you a 18" steel patterned after the OEM.  The cool kids are running 20 to 22" steel rims nowdays.  Look that up.  Some look like oem raylle rims etc with correct period caps but big sizes. 

Looking too good to work.. ?

What would Herb say?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, TroyDairy said:

Fwiw..... I am confident them Indy rims will be just fine under 99.9% of conditions.  The aluminum wheels today are as strong as steel.  Or better possibly.   I swore she was a dually but didnt look back at pictures to refresh.....?  I love going up to a 18".  Better ride/handling and more common today.  Touch of modern and still style of 70s.  Good move.  Also... Wheel Vintiques may be able to get/make you a 18" steel patterned after the OEM.  The cool kids are running 20 to 22" steel rims nowdays.  Look that up.  Some look like oem raylle rims etc with correct period caps but big sizes. 

Looking too good to work.. ?

What would Herb say?

Troy , 

I think Herb would say “ Crazy Portugee” 

with a big approving smile on His face !

He was Danish and pretty conservative !

tony 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2/4/21

update ; 

Dash attachments are all in and set.

engine is in and all mocked up

lights are in and being fitted in new positions on rear .

new steering box that may work 

Clarence lights positions over hitch area center bed

tony 

few pic’s 

9E2AAC25-0148-44F8-A5BD-8526368660A2.jpeg

27144E6B-D4B6-45C9-B64E-332F2AB9151D.jpeg

45C3489E-7B6B-4804-BB2B-F962C5909871.jpeg

1FFF4114-9BD4-4735-AA60-977C58502FE9.jpeg

F6ED33B2-C104-4718-A758-9CFAFB097CF3.jpeg

EDBC854B-A3C5-4E94-89E9-7EEDE2BDC9A5.jpeg

B14DA09D-4E96-4797-8EB4-1D0B6F17BCA6.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Little more progress ! 
painting intake , remember this will be running on propane . Engine has been taken for balancing 

rear lights are being repositioned and will have back up lights . 
we received the tool boxes and they are being fitted . If you notice on third pic the B&W hitch is also being fitted .
tony 

51212002-F57F-4EFE-A37B-2EA829A5631B.jpeg

380DC813-9C6C-4877-847D-2EBDB1098711.jpeg

0D4F6A70-7DAC-43C5-8E94-91BC69C1E9AA.jpeg

5CF1CB5A-66BC-4CAA-B418-299BA3A867B8.jpeg

FBED9EEB-219B-44DF-A91C-8C1C82A24247.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

Going to be too nice to use, Tony. I would be afraid of scratching it or a dent!! 

Going to try to be careful . 
Hoping to use it in conjunction with the tractor collection , either service truck or have Gooseneck and tractor paired with it at tractor shows .

yes , after all the time and money spent it gets a little fun /nerve racking using it .

tony 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

2/23/21

lights placed on bed and wired .

there will be two more clearance lights on side rails of bed 

tool boxes placed 

Tony 

8BBD97CA-552A-4AC9-9CD5-811754EDE9A7.jpeg

0FFE7D4B-41FB-4A43-9409-86B7673588AC.jpeg

039CA48C-7625-45F0-A1F9-7B80F011F5E2.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...