10/29/20 

Lot of details being worked on .

Here is a up date in pictures of items being addressed .

decided to build AC vents into dash ,instead of hanging under , as in pic.

the polished radiator tank is original IH tank with black removed and polished .

Gauges will include a tack built in to dash these gauges look very close to original look . This is a layout of how gauges will go . Being this is a LP there was no fuel gauge so a clock will be put in its place . 
those are the alunimum pulleys which will be used . 
radiator core being painted black . 
Btw pic of new steering column.

tony

C85DCAAA-DA69-4399-BC35-FB8CB23F9D1D.jpeg

7874AF02-3667-44CD-B944-A19118639FAD.jpeg

18EB8F81-E50F-4191-885D-E3DAEEB221E2.jpeg

B7C3896C-8B5D-41D8-9F20-18F79E2ED4AD.jpeg

65581FEF-7450-4501-9DE3-EF4869ACECFA.jpeg

0F99ED3B-16E4-4563-882E-E66E4ED0F086.jpeg

D44D1E65-2A1C-47F7-B1C7-0A5B9A87E5D8.jpeg

9B9C903A-3B34-4469-9E0C-91E83BB53750.jpeg

93A2BB3E-2F46-481B-A3E5-EEB7549E7A8D.jpeg

ED45AC20-C411-488C-9BDB-17C3C84FABF1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4/2/21 Engine was balance and final assembly . working on doors , window regulators , latches etc , window wing frames were removed for polishing , getting cab ready for paint.  tony 

In 1966 starting my Farming career , I watched my local Blacksmith / family friend , purchase this truck new and build the bed for it.  I was 21 no money trying to farm with old IH equipment that

Guys have been working on bed , preparing for lites , etc  Received a few items that were sent out for polishing etc . tony 

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tony you could've put a % gauge instead.....?

Tank has a gauge that can be seen trough rear window. The factory model came with no hole on dash for fuel gauge . However, because I wanted a tach we are putting the clock to balance placement of gauges.

tony

• Like 1

That trucks never been in northeast Ohio 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

It’s was bought new here in Fresno and it spent its life being Herb’s daily driver and chase parts for his blacksmith business . Grandson drove it a few years in central calif .

yet , there was rust cancer on passenger floor , less on drivers side but still need attention . Dash had rust damage at corners’ and vent areas.
hood hinge mounts were rust damage beyond repair , had to buy another hood.

so even in this dry environment it still had considerable rust damage 

tony  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

It’s was bought new here in Fresno and it spent its life being Herb’s daily driver and chase parts for his blacksmith business . Grandson drove it a few years in central calif .

yet , there was rust cancer on passenger floor , less on drivers side but still need attention . Dash had rust damage at corners’ and vent areas.
hood hinge mounts were rust damage beyond repair , had to buy another hood.

so even in this dry environment it still had considerable rust damage 

tony  

I remember the Scouts and tavellalls that were sold at Jenks ih in West Springfield pa. They were very beautiful vehicles ,and  I did desire one ,but dare not spend the high cost for one ,my reward would be they were totally rusted  out in two years ! ?‍♂️Pitty ,always remember that !

only thing left was the frame and the roof in this climate.

shame , I don’t get it how they used inferior steel or skimped on the rust prevention for customers. Must have been a down fall for them . I sure stayed away .

my thoughts 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

I remember the Scouts and tavellalls that were sold at Jenks ih in West Springfield pa. They were very beautiful vehicles ,and  I did desire one ,but dare not spend the high cost for one ,my reward would be they were totally rusted  out in two years ! ?‍♂️Pitty ,always remember that !

only thing left was the frame and the roof in this climate.

shame , I don’t get it how they used inferior steel or skimped on the rust prevention for customers. Must have been a down fall for them . I sure stayed away .

my thoughts 

You know , I am amazed at what I see and hear as it pertains to rust repairs on these binders 

my Dad had his IH pick up 7 years and beat the **** out of it but don’t remember a hint of rust on any of his pickups , I realize we are in Cali . But fast forward in this case 55 years and my RedKid same age a native Arizona all of life and this current project Herbie ,Central Ca all of it life and yet both had severe enough rust on floor pans , passenger rocker panel , both lower corners of windshield , and dash vents 

pretty much same on both other then Herbie needed another hood because hinge pads were beyond repair from rust.

I follow these trucks on several IH truck blogs and they are severely plagued  by rust . Yet metal and frame are Heavy gauge . 
I H must of put no effort into rust protection thinking heavy metal was enough. 
of coarse at 55 years of age I think all makes are suffering rust and corrosion, although I might say my IH baler project is about same age and it’s very heavy metal yet the corrosion build up at any junction of two pieces touching is more then I have ever seen on other old equipment .

tony

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

You know , I am amazed at what I see and hear as it pertains to rust repairs on these binders 

my Dad had his IH pick up 7 years and beat the **** out of it but don’t remember a hint of rust on any of his pickups , I realize we are in Cali . But fast forward in this case 55 years and my RedKid same age a native Arizona all of life and this current project Herbie ,Central Ca all of it life and yet both had severe enough rust on floor pans , passenger rocker panel , both lower corners of windshield , and dash vents 

pretty much same on both other then Herbie needed another hood because hinge pads were beyond repair from rust.

I follow these trucks on several IH truck blogs and they are severely plagued  by rust . Yet metal and frame are Heavy gauge . 
I H must of put no effort into rust protection thinking heavy metal was enough. 
of coarse at 55 years of age I think all makes are suffering rust and corrosion, although I might say my IH baler project is about same age and it’s very heavy metal yet the corrosion build up at any junction of two pieces touching is more then I have ever seen on other old equipment .

tony

All the more important that your preservation continues . 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

There seems to be a few states where rust is not a serious problem with old IH's

I have had great luck with vehicles and parts from Montana and Texas .

I think where exactly the vehicle sat out it's dormancy weighs heavily on condition.

Tony , The gauges you chose are Fantastic looking , As always paper towel in hand wiping the drool from my keyboard ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/29/2020 at 9:43 PM, 560Dennis said:

Isnt that rhe truth. I looked for years. Short of getting one out of a firehouse that was surplused it was impossible. Even the 100 footers when you got close you could see all the rust around the edges andbin structural areas.

• Like 1

Well crap.  Here I've been saving little $ here n there for Carol`s sale after your funeral.  (Funeral at 10, auction at 2pm) I was hoping i could afford Herbie here.  For a memento of my nut farmer friend Tony.  But, Now you've got totally carried away an the ol boy will be out of my price range!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tony, yesterday l was flipping channels on the TV and stopped on one of those hot rod type shows that do the "Dupont restorations". One was a '74 Ford Bronco, another was a '56 Chevy PU and a '62 Ford PU.

Those shows do some of the sorriest so-called "restorations" l have ever saw.  "lf it runs slap some new mufflers on it to make it loud. lf it will start, put some chrome valve covers on it and put some pretty seat covers on it."

Just want to tell you that after seeing that kind of junk being done in the name of restoration, it is so neat to see someone like you that does a real and honest "from the ground up and every bolt and nut" type restoration. And it don't matter whether it's a Tractor, Pickup or a piece of hay equipment, you make it good as and most of the time better than new.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tony, yesterday l was flipping channels on the TV and stopped on one of those hot rod type shows that do the "Dupont restorations". One was a '74 Ford Bronco, another was a '56 Chevy PU and a '62 Ford PU.

Those shows do some of the sorriest so-called "restorations" l have ever saw.  "lf it runs slap some new mufflers on it to make it loud. lf it will start, put some chrome valve covers on it and put some pretty seat covers on it."

Just want to tell you that after seeing that kind of junk being done in the name of restoration, it is so neat to see someone like you that does a real and honest "from the ground up and every bolt and nut" type restoration. And it don't matter whether it's a Tractor, Pickup or a piece of hay equipment, you make it good as and most of the time better than new.

Thank you Sir ,

Sometimes I ask myself why so much time and work but really to get this old stuff up and going I know no other way . 
reason I restore a item is because it meant something big to me in my younger life and I try to get it back to how I saw it when new along with a few updates to make it relevant today.

I hope that when I am older or gone that  someone will appreciate the dedication to preserving as much of factory look as possible .

Again thank you for your sentiments

Twostepn2001

tony 

• Like 4

More progress !  11/3/20
more mock ups

Gauge lay out , decided to build ac vents into dash,

bed back from blaster , now to start on it.

few pic 

Tony

4F7495FF-AF25-42AE-883B-C6B2A455910B.jpeg

91BD5BD3-308F-4A7D-A7C8-0BDDFA67CF84.jpeg

E6638AB1-EB61-4EDD-BCF8-310B20B711F6.jpeg

F5FA60F0-45FF-4931-9858-707A0CE0A408.jpeg

16A5363B-9B63-4E2F-ABE7-3215902FE9C2.jpeg

BC6EF491-B0A3-4BF2-A697-1D3E17CCF3B2.jpeg

7D0D08A0-DCBB-494F-86DB-270D96D89CA8.jpeg

CB18C271-E664-4123-9AAE-5B705DB94E1F.jpeg

• Like 6

11/10/20 

more progress,  fitting continues ,

pictures of wood  under bed for attachment , will use what was there just spruce it up for the original look.

planning to install a B&w gooseneck hitch .

also planning on tool box each side of under bed behind cab in front of rear tire.

tony

A482208A-E629-4931-8464-4AB5454FE6D9.jpeg

3BB276CE-3AEB-4CEA-87BF-91AF3A579205.jpeg

160E93B9-2A3C-43D8-8F99-323BB6ABF6ED.jpeg

2713C20D-50B4-4BF0-AA68-9EEDEA1F85D6.jpeg

6368094B-FC51-4D0C-9CCD-2AA651A121F2.jpeg

238725AB-FDBA-46A4-983B-8D4EE20F5025.jpeg

• Like 6

I really would love to see this truck hooked to your gooseneck trailer hauling a tractor when everything is complete Tony.  That 392 would probably pass anything but a gas station ?

• Like 1

Hey Guys , I wracked my brain looking for a rim that would compliment this build. 
I hated the IH snap ring wheels it had in front.

most of the modern truck rims are either to  goddy or to modern looking for off road .

this truck is not being built for car shows or a rock climber but for frequent driver and compatibility with my tractor collection and tractor shows and preserving the integrity of the local blacksmith truck . 
I came up with old school Indy’s 18x10 paired with Michelin  LT truck road tires. 
I am asking for your opinions , Good , Bad or indifferent and if you have thoughts or pictures of what you think would enhance this 66 3/4 flat bed binder ?

tony  

97B2894D-9252-4104-881B-CE4571EFEA75.jpeg

731EDE35-E525-47E1-97ED-A713645E4F37.jpeg

• Like 6

Tony, those wheels look good. But please don't put any kind of those "low profile" tires on them. They look good on the Red Kid, but on this "work truck", standard height tires would look lots better in my opinion.

2 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tony, those wheels look good. But please don't put any kind of those "low profile" tires on them. They look good on the Red Kid, but on this "work truck", standard height tires would look lots better in my opinion.

I can assure you , no low rider look to this truck . 
matter of fact as I stated above , I am wanting a Michelin LT truck road tire .

tony 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Hey Tony,  just saw this and thought you might want something to think about when it comes time for upholstery.....?  Of course different color.....

truck seat.jpg

I would but may get me arrested here in land of fruits and nuts! Lol

think I’ll stick to conceal carry. Lol

tony

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

Hey Guys , I wracked my brain looking for a rim that would compliment this build. 
I hated the IH snap ring wheels it had in front.

most of the modern truck rims are either to  goddy or to modern looking for off road .

this truck is not being built for car shows or a rock climber but for frequent driver and compatibility with my tractor collection and tractor shows and preserving the integrity of the local blacksmith truck . 
I came up with old school Indy’s 18x10 paired with Michelin  LT truck road tires. 
I am asking for your opinions , Good , Bad or indifferent and if you have thoughts or pictures of what you think would enhance this 66 3/4 flat bed binder ?

tony  

97B2894D-9252-4104-881B-CE4571EFEA75.jpeg

731EDE35-E525-47E1-97ED-A713645E4F37.jpeg

Love that style. Back in the '80's those were the ones. A step up from white spokes. But unless the metalurgy has improved I wouldn't use them on a work/towing truck. A set of deep dish steelies that would take the IH dog dish hub caps would be my vote. Stockton wheel still around?