ray54

Fence stories Funny or Sad

The other thread about people running through fences is all to close to home today, as I had another case of hit and run fence damage today. 

I would guess less than 10% of the time do find out who ran through the fences here. My son tends fences on a 7000 ac ranch that has 4 to 5 miles of road frontage. The owners want it all looked at daily. Do there best to have Highway Patrol call if they get called out for accidents,but that only happens 50% of the time. 

About 10 years ago found a car off the road stuck sitting in the middle of the fence. With cows coming to investigate, and no one around. Called HP they had to come look before calling a tow truck. Finally get a tow truck hocking up, as step dad to kid who went off road showed up. Still no cell severus so how kid got mom I don't know,but she took him to school and then called step dad to go get truck. Step dad insisted kid needs to fix fence to remember to be more careful. So I just propped it up and Saturday the kid dug 3 post holes and set 3 posts. 

Another time a older women was hard against the barbwire with a drop off right below the fence. She was ready to pay me big money because my fence saved her from going over. As the wire didn't break I think $20 satisfy everyone. I don't think there is a barbwire fence made that could stop a car, without using some crazy number of wires.

But the ones that really tick me off are where they make one whole coming in and manage to make another to get back on the road. Had one of those a few years ago and I guess I was the lucky one as down the road 3 or 4 miles he was stuck and his truck started a grass fire.

• Like 1

Worked at a small elevator 30 some years ago. One family always put up 48'x all no9 wire fence for their cattle. Talk about a heavy roll of RedBrand

My most memorable fence story is when I was about 9 or 10 .

Dad sent me out to cut weeds from under the electric fence that surrounded a corn field . If I remember  correctly the fencer was called a 909  and had a lightning bolt pictured on it , it was supposed to be able to burn off a weed . 

This was after harvest and we had cows and horses turned out in it. 

When I was done and was at the far end of the line I had the crazy idea to just hop on one of the horses and ride it back home. 

Heck the Indians do it all the time on TV so I ran up behind one of our mares Lone Ranger style  from behind , slid into place, grabbed her by the main and she took off like a race horse leaving the starting gate . She ran a couple circles at full speed and then headed directly to the fence, planted both front feet into a skid and threw me off the front right down her neck , over her ears and past her head directly onto the electric fence wire . 

I must have got shocked a couple dozen times while scrambling to get up off that dam thing. Then when I finally got off and away from the fence she was just standing there looking at me flipping her tail back and forth with her ears straight up as if to say  well, did you learn anything?  

I have never tried to ride bare back and without a bridle ever again to this day and won’t anytime soon. 

• Haha 7

Here is picture of where we rent some pasture a mile from home. It is on a 55 mph curve and as you can guess we have had many cars go through fence . Usually in wintertime though once a guy on motorcycle went through cut his arm pretty bad. I bet 20 times fence has been hit. We live off the east curve but there isn’t as many accidents as the south bound curve. Our curve in wintertime snow blows off lake in northwest winds on warmer day sticking to curve on hiway then you have a lot of vehicles 🚗 n ditch.

7739F7C5-15DD-46F1-A2BC-A9C120BF4580.jpeg

One time a neighbor hit a couple of our T-posts with an implement and he brought over a couple of old T-posts that didn't even have plates on them to fix it with. Well, at least he reported it.

Funny thing you posted this a dodge diesel 1/2 ton just wiped out power pole and railroad tie on corner of pasture above. Hit with front left side tire pickup is bad.

C01D8E25-FDD4-4C03-93DE-5D311D46E62A.jpeg

DFCA51E2-1695-4BF4-918C-1296A06F33C5.jpeg

2E4314B0-228C-40EB-83AD-6A6C86EA25E9.jpeg

40D3A34B-6EBD-4FC0-B74C-755C8D63283E.jpeg

2F5E16CE-5862-4AE7-A837-77093748F571.jpeg

FD09E0B1-40DF-4263-9F52-01707B73B44B.jpeg

134EDFEB-7F0D-49B1-90C0-1492401AD18C.jpeg

33CADA51-47CB-4BF5-B4C7-0A3BE6DEF05F.jpeg

E6E6DE80-F11B-4B0C-A159-95AD16E17E15.jpeg

Neighbor and his son stopped in early one morning. Seems the kid took out a 100 feet of fence at dad's place.  Said he swerved to miss a deer. I think there were some beverages involved prior to missing the deer. Neighbor is 2 years younger than me. We knew each other  all during school. He just grinned and said we were young once too.  The kid bought brand new steel posts, stretched the wire banjo tight. Repaired it himself. He was brought up right.

• Like 1

Not a fence but , a Hwy. guard rail between 2 bridges on US 12/14 got nailed pretty good. During  R & R found licence plate wedged in one of the rails. Vehicle hightailed  from the  site without that  one licence plate which I turned in for insurance claim and officer asking driver for an explanation...

• Like 1

when I was in college I told mom I was taking a fencing class.

she told dad and he said.....

he'd be damn if I was going to come home and show him

how to build a fence.  she eventually told him it wasn't that

kind of fencing class.  we always get a chuckle out of this story.

Duane

• Like 1