Red Collector

Char-Lynn steering pump rebuild question

I took apart the char-lynn motor used in the power steering system on my M-TA, and evidently didn't pay enough attention during disassembly...I'm just a little stumped by this little "drive shaft" that is pictured. One end engages the star inside the motor, and the other side engages the stub shaft that connects to the steering shaft. The "gear ends" are the same size in that it would fit either way around, but the thickness of the "gears" is different. Trying to recall, I kind of want to say that the thicker side goes toward the output shaft, but I'm not sure. Would anyone out there know which way around this goes, or if it really matters much? Thanks.

20190821_200707.jpg

27 minutes ago, Red Collector said:

I took apart the char-lynn motor used in the power steering system on my M-TA, and evidently didn't pay enough attention during disassembly...I'm just a little stumped by this little "drive shaft" that is pictured. One end engages the star inside the motor, and the other side engages the stub shaft that connects to the steering shaft. The "gear ends" are the same size in that it would fit either way around, but the thickness of the "gears" is different. Trying to recall, I kind of want to say that the thicker side goes toward the output shaft, but I'm not sure. Would anyone out there know which way around this goes, or if it really matters much? Thanks.

20190821_200707.jpg

I'm sure it matters or it wouldn't be different I would think its a clearance issue sometimes you can see wear marks to see which side was mating with the other wished i was more helpful with a pic or Illustration view maybe someone else on here would be able to help more 

• Thanks 1

NOTE: This is not correct! I'll leave it unchanged so it will relate to Jeff311's post below.

The thicker (and tapered) end goes in the rotor (star). The rotor has a "wobble" to it as it travels around the matching housing.

Edited by mdntspec
incorrect info

Make sure you time it. Or the steering wheel will spin and try and tear your hand off. I only had one apart off an old M. 25 plus years ago. Scared the snot out of me. An old mechanic in the shop laughed and then helped me time it. I couldn't tell you how though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Make sure you time it. Or the steering wheel will spin and try and tear your hand off. I only had one apart off an old M. 25 plus years ago. Scared the snot out of me. An old mechanic in the shop laughed and then helped me time it. I couldn't tell you how though. 

X2

There should be 2 shafts in the assembly - the one with the slot on one end and gear on the other is the critical one for timing. Line up the slot with the "valley" on the rotor (star wheel). There is no timing on the other shaft.

charlyn-3.jpg

char-5.jpg

The above information is INCORRECT. The wider tooth end goes in the power end drive and not the gerotor star. I've had many of these apart. 

Put the narrower teeth end of the double tooth shaft into the gerotor star.

I make the single gear end drive shaft for these units. 

IMG_2902.JPG

• Like 2

Jeff311 - thanks for catching my error - you are correct. The movement of the rotor creates a wobble effect that the shaft has to allow for - but it's done at the inside

top of the shaft, using the round pin/slot on one shaft, and the tapered gear on the other - not at the rotor. Thanks again.

( I probably rebuilt more than 100 Char-Lynn steering orbitals and hydraulic motors during my working years - that was 25+ years ago and quite a few brain cells have gone away since then. But I do remember the "excitement" when the timing was wrong. ) :D

Mdntspec, - No worries man. We are all ion this together. THANKS for posting the timing photos. I was in that mode at the same time you where but my photos would not upload. Just as well it came from you.  This info will help a lot of guys with Char Lynn timing. My biggest frustration is always marking the case so they go back together with the mounting holes in the right spot and the lines all fit in the same spot. I always get in a hurry and forget to mark the housing before I pop it open.