A/C flush solvent

Not happy with the stuff I get at local parts stores. Stuff is thick like oil. Just dont feel like it works as good as the old R-11. Whats everyone else using? Had a guy at the local shop tell me he uses brake kleen. Guy at parts store told me that will void the warranty on compressors. Surely somene makes something similar to the old R-11?

We get it at Fleetpride.  The brand is Johnson’s.  Might be off on the spelling.  

So did my BIL. He's still alive, somehow.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

TCM used to use gasoline......

You don't get to legendary status doing things the correct way......................:lol:

• Haha 2

Dan, this is the stuff we have used for years. Think we just get it from NAPA. Looks to be readily available from Amazon and other places. More or less acts like brake cleaner as far as evaporating quickly, but supposed to be used for a/c systems. 

2A2E9E81-4437-4E22-A275-4E9826E53D7C.jpeg

On regular residential hvac systems we use rx11, would t see why it wouldn’t work here. Name of the game is to get the oil out from what I was told

Just so happens that I have a 32 oz metal container of supercool professional air conditioning flush sold in a compressor replacement kit from rock auto.  it appears to be  heptane cas 142-82-5 isopropyl alcohol cas 67-63-0  chemical is by tsi supercool lake worth fl 33461.  pn 22762.  I have not used it because I am waiting for the weather to cool off to work on the AC again. Don't know where the receipt is but believe it cost over $10. for 1 qt.

I used a gallon of ac flush in my 96 f350.

Just the condenser.  Everything else was new. Then I used at least 4 cans of brake clean before it looked clean. If I had it to do again I would replace the condenser too. It would've been cheaper.

Mechanic told me to replace condenser prior. If I didnt to flush it with brake clean. I thought I would save money. I shouldve listened.

I have a new condenser, compressor and RD and misc, this is after replacing the evap in the previous repair cycle  on our 93 K2500.  

32 minutes ago, oleman said:

Just so happens that I have a 32 oz metal container of supercool professional air conditioning flush sold in a compressor replacement kit from rock auto.  it appears to be  heptane cas 142-82-5 isopropyl alcohol cas 67-63-0  chemical is by tsi supercool lake worth fl 33461.  pn 22762.  I have not used it because I am waiting for the weather to cool off to work on the AC again. Don't know where the receipt is but believe it cost over $10. for 1 qt.

A local AC shop told me they use gas line anti freeze. I have been too. 

Rx11 flush gets my vote

We use some gawd-awfull smelling flush that comes from Napa, I'll have to look at the brand, works well enough. 

Wanted to chime in on some of the alternatives listed and heed a warning. We used to have a parts cleaner similar to brake cleaner that comes in 55 gallon drums called AG101. Absolutely great stuff, it gets in and cleans out the most porous casting finishes.

One thing that people didn't think much about though, AG101 doesn't get along with aluminium.... So, we had a pusher RV come in that had suffered an AC compressor failure. The tech on the job, to his credit, was trying to save some money, and didn't want the RV to smell like that terrible cleaning agent. He took several gallons of AG101 and filled the system near full, then left it sit overnight. Blew it out and vacuumed it for a good hour the next day... but that didn't get the AG out, and you can imagine the mess made when you have an agent that doesn't like aluminum trapped in there. Needless to say, it came back, AC not working again... EVERY component of that system, including the 80+ ft of lines had to be replaced. And typical with a RV, eveything is hard to source and 4x the money, not to mention near impossible to access, it was anything but a cheap rework!

So use non-approved chemicals as AC flush with caution, the wallet you save may be your own.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1