dromunds

Loadstar 1600 fuel pump question

Fuel pump is leaking on my 1970 Loadstar 1600 with 345 engine, fuel pump has sediment bowl directly below.  Is there anywhere to order an original fuel pump with sediment bowl?  If not, is it better to go to electric fuel pump with in-line fuel filter or rebuild the old fuel pump ?   What is the best electric fuel pump if that's the way to do?   I was given the name of a place in MA to rebuild, not sure if there are others that are recommended.  Are there any aftermarket fuel pumps w/o sediment bowl that are advisable?  Any help would be appreciated.  I can't seem to find anything recent on this topic.  I also need the rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the hard fuel line.  Thanks again.   

I never owned an IH long enough for a fuel pump to have an issue. Did own a  1969 V304 powered 4X4 Travelal from 75 until 89.  So far as I know all the SV engines (v266, V304, V345, V392)  used the same FP but the light duty vehicles had a fuel pump without the sediment bowl.  I would just go to the local ORielly  or Autozone  for any fuel hoses possibly they also have the FP.  As for as electric FP I have run a Carter cheap Electric pump on a Mopar 440 install since 2000, not a single issue with the pump.  

It’s been a few years but I got one from case-IH dealer. 

18 hours ago, 65806 said:

It’s been a few years but I got one from case-IH dealer. 

Yeah, maybe if they were used on combines.

You can't easily get the ones with the sediment bowl any more, but any of the common auto parts stores can get the non sediment bowl fuel pumps for those IH engines.  There are several combinations of fittings but they all will fit on the engine correctly.  The NAPA B0150P is probably the one to get, it has pipe thread for both in and out, you can adapt that to about anything you need to.

A lot of times what is recommended on OldIHC is to have your original fuel pump rebuilt by these people: 

http://www.then-now-auto.com/ 

Although they sell rebuild kits, its usually best if they rebuild it.  They use newer types of materials compatible with today's gasoline additives and claim they have never had one come back.  I used them for my IHC fuel pump when I rebuilt my engine because I wanted to keep the filter / sediment bowl.  Their turn-around time was about three weeks, but  it was worth the wait for me.

I wanted to update this thread and also ask another question.  I sent the original fuel pump to THEN & NOW AUTOMOTIVE for a rebuild as recommended by odSteve. They rebuilt it the same day they received it and I had it back several days later.  It looked like a brand new pump.   The charge was very reasonable, not that much more than a kit.  The truck runs great and I was able to use the original fuel pump with the glass sediment bowl.  Now, I noticed the Holley carb accelerator pump is leaking and I've been told I need to get a diaphragm for the accelerator pump.  International says they can't get them.  Anybody know where to get a diaphragm for an accelerator pump for a Holley carb from a 1970 Loadstar 1600 with the 345 engine?  Thanks for your help. 

http://rockauto.com lists numerous carb kits for a 2300 Holley under model 1300/345

I see they mention the fuel pump sediment bowl in the owner's manual. Got a fuel filter under the hood too, though.

Be careful when you order a carb kit for your holley carb in the loadstar. If it has the governor there are special gaskets that may not be included in the kit. I just went through this on mine.Thx-Ace

Thanks acem, but I was able to order just the diaphragm for the accelerator pump.  Got it from Daytona Auto Parts.  Installed and good to go with no more leaks.  I realized my carb had the governor after some thought but the accelerator pump diaphragm is the 30cc one, so its all good.