Td 6 trouble starting on gas

I just acquired a 1948 td6. Got it running and it purrs and fires awesome. Got it moved into the open changed the rails,sprockets, idlers, rollers, tracks everything on the undercarriage from a 55 td6. It looks good. Problem, went to start it after sitting for a couple weeks it goes but it's like it wont idle up and purr. Maybe starving for gas alittle or not enough air. I'm stumped and grandpa wants this baby in the fair show in two days any ideas on what to look for? 

Check the gas flow into the bowl from the tank. Pull the drain plug and turn on the gas at the sediment strainer. Should be a steady flow. Catch the gas in a clean bucket and look for water or rust in the gas. clean out tank if necessary. There is also a screen in the inlet on the carb. clean this also.

Check the intake butterfly lever on inside of the manifold to make sure it is in the up position. this is where it needs to be to start on gasoline.

check the spark plugs for fire and clean up  plugs if necessary. 

drop the oil cup on bottom of air; filter . clean and refill with clean motor oil. 

good luck, Jim.

42 minutes ago, crawlernut said:

drop the oil cup on bottom of air; filter . clean and refill with clean motor oil. 

This won't have happened sitting for a couple of weeks but you need to make sure the gauze element section isn't plugged with dust when you do the cleaning  of the air cleaner as well as the oil bowl.

2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

This won't have happened sitting for a couple of weeks but you need to make sure the gauze element section isn't plugged with dust when you do the cleaning  of the air cleaner as well as the oil bowl.

clean points /cap ,good !! copper wires  correct long plugs not fouled, S valves not sticking and of course flipper free and fully flipped 

Filter cleaned and new oil, new plugs, pulled the intake and carb off, cleaned carb. The intake valves seemed to be working right and were in the right position. Linkage all seems to move and be free. I noticed if you tighten the sediment bowl tight it only drops fuel in the bowl from the tank. Is there a way to check the s valves?

It just low idles and sputters and smokes.  It sputtered long enough earlier today and did switch to diesel and it purred then shut off the diesel and flipped back to gas and it ran fine on gas. Some reason it wont run full on gas like it should at first when trying to start 

Thanks for all the replies 

Dome.us,

Welcome!

Well it sounds like you have done many of the right things to be assured that you have gas flow. You have done way more work on yours than I have, and sounds like your not afraid to take things apart. I assume you checked the filter in the gas inlet line next to the carb? Someone mentioned that and I do believe mine was plugged. Still sounds like gas flow problem to me. When you did get it over to diesel it may have had time to fill the carb and then ran ok on gas when you shut it down??

We nee some pictures too!

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

I'm not afraid to tear in alittle here and there my 85 year old grandpa sitting there watching and waiting to hear that thing purr again is pushing me to get it done. We had it, let it set for two weeks while I did the undercarriage and now nothing. 

Fuel filter was plugged, carb was extremely dirty, cleaned it all everytime the sediment bowl get some crap from the tank I clean it out. I'm wondering if the steel line has a pin hole and or kink and isnt allowing enough fuel when it's trying to run. I'm bypassing the bowl today after work and running a hose around the grill to the carb to see if that helps.

The once a day if your lucky and it goes on gas it sounds good, diesel side sounds great too. I've been trying for two years to get grandpa to put one of his many in the local fair show and a month ago he said let's do it. Guess we should of started way earlier

20190821_064508.jpg

20190814_183023.jpg

20190807_202727.jpg

20190729_184134.jpg

Nice collection. Try removing the gas cap when starting  and seeing if that was creating a vacuum. With mine I had to ensure that the intake manifold was on tight (not too tight that you break an ear off though...) to enable the engine to draw in gas and not air. Check that you have good spark, timing, flipper valves closing, not grounding out mag, etc etc 

If it sputters and smokes on gas cycle, assuming no choke, it could be your bowl float is leaking and not shutting gas off at correct bowl level. Did you check the bowl float when you cleaned the carb? check and clean the needle valve and seat. also there is a little cam that shuts the needle valve off controlled by a little arm off the compression linkage. Make sure that is connected and working. Lube and manually operate the intake butterfly valve shafts as they get sticky and wont close fully. The V shaped flipper needs to be in the up position to start.

It sounds like it is getting too much gas on startup. Jim.

So took apart the mag check the points and cleaned out it back together  and bam purrrrrrred! Ran it shut it off, put away some of the various tools and such. Tryed it again back to sputtering [dang it] so I took my little brass hammer tapped on the mag and it purrrred again yes ! Did that 3 times. After that now a little tap on the mag and we loose spark and dies...something loose in the mag or bad mag?

Dome.us,

Very nice collection of IH equipment! I like your shop very open and airy! Sounds like you have maybe hit on the cause of the sputtering! (some pun intended)! It looks good on the trailer. Have fun at the fair!

That diagonal brace sticking up in the air, in the first picture, is what did my back in 2 years ago, about this time! Be careful! You have a good supply of parts to put at least one more together too? Do the nuts and bolts come apart good? Mine would need a cutting torch to get the under carriage apart!

Regards,

Chris

My crawler was used in a silage pit and corrals pushing crap, then went to a excavation company. I also know the family that bought it new and the next guy it went to so I have a little history on it.  It's been used hard and alot of the bolts were rounded and rusted but pounding a metric socket on them did wonders and heat! My parts tractor was just a ag tractor and was in better shape the bolts were still square and came apart great! We re used them. Undercarriage swap wasnt bad did alot by myself also could get the master pins out of the tracks so removed 4 tracks without splitting them and installed new ones without being split.

That's my grandpas back yard, it's also so dusty! he has been a different guy the last year or so before it was dont even look back there at what I got. He has come to realize he wont be around to do anything with them all like he planned  and he is afraid it will all go to scrap. 

He has 4 more td6 complete,  1 he has never got running its clutch is stuck. The other two have ran and one still will he claims. He has one with a blade that needs steering work, radiator, water pump. 

He has 5 td9 and only one of them looking like it will run, it has a new motor and never been fired that he knows of. He also has a td9 that has been in our family since brand new, it was the first one after world war 2 in our county. Its green has belly guard/grill and lights guards. He put a new motor in it years and years ago borrowed it to his in laws to push silage pit and the motor was stuck. 

There is also a 14a sitting in the side yard. He has a definitely neat collection and I'd love to get all if the running.

Thanks