acem

When pappy willed me this outfit

I always like cow pokes cartoons.  Usually hit close to the mark.  This one hit dead on here. 

It is a little faded but I think you can make it out.

Thx-Ace

PappyWilledMeThisPlaceCowPokes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Troof

Have copied and am sending to my son.

I can identify with that------got a feeling my son will enjoy also.

Reminds me of way back in my farming days--------at supper one night my wife made the  comment:  "it seems like to me we are land poor"!!!!

But it wouldn't be much fun taking the Easy Road anyway!!!😳🤣

DD

• Like 1

I read something similar once

There was one of a farmer and his son looking over the farmstead. The barn needed a roof, a broke down tractor and pickup were sitting in front of a small shop. The fences needed mending a other things like that. The farmer looks at his son and say "Someday this will all be yours."

• Haha 2

I happen to have 2 of those COWPOKE cartoon books. Bought them years ago while traveling through Texas. Like to get them out once in awhile and go through them. Good Clean cartoons.

Those used to be in one of the farm magazines. Can’t remember which one it was but I always enjoyed them. A whole book of them would be great. 

8 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Have copied and am sending to my son.

I can identify with that------got a feeling my son will enjoy also.

Reminds me of way back in my farming days--------at supper one night my wife made the  comment:  "it seems like to me we are land poor"!!!!

But it wouldn't be much fun taking the Easy Road anyway!!!😳🤣

DD

And the snobs in the burbs are McMansion-poor and don't even have land to enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You know I never really thought of it that way.  I have described it sometimes as an obligation rather than an inheritance. :)

4 hours ago, KWRB said:

And the snobs in the burbs are McMansion-poor and don't even have land to enjoy.

But want to hunt, dump garbage and ride their 4 wheelers and ATVs across our "spread".

I just encountered a "McMansion snob" a few days ago--------can't understand why I would object to him riding through the farm;  but would not want me to ride my tractor through his yard????😳

I like the term "McMansion snob"-------just added it to my limited vocabulary.👍

(that is much nicer than how I was referring to them)

DD

20 minutes ago, B.B. said:

You know I never really thought of it that way.  I have described it sometimes as an obligation rather than an inheritance. :)

It might be a corny reference, but I really like the show Downton Abbey and Lord Grantham referred to himself as the steward or custodian of Downton Abbey (which the legal structure was such that he didn't own it). I think of even "my" land as that. God knows it hasn't always been mine, and it won't always be mine. While it's most certainly "mine" for now, someday I'll leave it to someone else and I should leave it in good shape. The same goes for my non-real-property portion of whatever estate I have at the time, and my family name.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KWRB said:

It might be a corny reference, but I really like the show Downton Abbey and Lord Grantham referred to himself as the steward or custodian of Downton Abbey (which the legal structure was such that he didn't own it). I think of even "my" land as that. God knows it hasn't always been mine, and it won't always be mine. While it's most certainly "mine" for now, someday I'll leave it to someone else and I should leave it in good shape. The same goes for my non-real-property portion of whatever estate I have at the time, and my family name.

Agreed.  I've often said I was just the next caretaker in line.  One of these day's it will go to the next caretaker in line. 

I only have one sibling (a sister) and she was really upset that I got the farm and she didn't get half.  That was my father's wishes and my mother honored that.  He knew I was the kid who would never sell it and would keep it in the family as he had.  

A couple years ago I/we built a shooting range on the property.  My sister and her husband now come over more often to shoot as they both enjoy that.  I also let them do whatever they want as the way I see it, it's still as much her property as it is mine to use and enjoy.  If they wanted to ride the 4wheeler, or hunt, or whatever it's all fine by me.  She grew up there and knows to respect the land. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I've spent most of my life hanging on to this chunk of dirt. Now I'm trying to figure out how and when to drop the keys in his hand and say,"Have at it Whizbang she's all yours".

28 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

"next caretaker"  is an  excellent description

Concur!

best, randy

Screw you guys, I am building a box big enough to put it all in:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 3

And if you own a big enough chunk of dirt, you probably deal with a banker😋

banker.jpg.fc2d4ae25aaac707cb3377084a9eedb9.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

Screw you guys, I am building a box big enough to put it all in:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm building a box. For me. Plant my carcass in the middle of it.

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

And if you own a big enough chunk of dirt, you probably deal with a banker😋

banker.jpg.fc2d4ae25aaac707cb3377084a9eedb9.jpg

Hilarious,I just got off the phone with Farm Credit!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, exSW said:

I'm building a box. For me. Plant my carcass in the middle of it.

I will never forget a guy who is no longer with us, who my old man asked what he was going to do when he was gone, because everyone including him I believe knew his kids didn't amount to more than a pint of cold p*ss...................He looked at my dad and flat out told him, "I am going to build a box big enough to put it all in!"  Naturally nobody was expecting that, and it got alot of laughter.  

I remember a story.

A group of 4 friends had a agreement that when they died the surviving friends would pitch $10,000 in the casket. 

The first friend died so at the funeral the 3 friends were there. 1st friend walks up and throws a bundle of $10,000 dollars in cash in the casket. The 2nd friend does the same thing. The 3rd friend walks up, grabs the 2 bundles of cash and throws a check for $30,000 dollars in the casket. The other 2 look astonished and he replies " The check is good and covers everything. He just has to cash the check.😎

• Haha 3