Sign in to follow this  
IH766

Calling all Cattlemen

Alright I'm looking for wisdom. Due to a drought and the resulting feed shortage, I've had to buy in feed. I bought some greenfeed oat bales and am gonna feed that with some dry hay. The problem I'm having is how to feed a mixed ration? I'd like to feed a mixture all at once to reduce sorting, but I don't have a TMR or silage wagon. Any tips/tricks/ideas? Appreciate any feedback or wisdom

I just feed in fence line or bale feeders I have been in your shoes I used a liquid feed product and poured on cornstalk bales made pretty good feed had cornstalk bales so it was cheap at the time 

I Got a hay grinder in your area who could grind in bulk? You would have to mix your bales as you load the grinder...

You could then feed with a grapple. Or bucket into bunks it would be slow but doable....

Bale spreader ? We used to spread dry bales (or wet bales) on top of the corn silage before we had a mixer that could handle it all 

We fed out Greenfeed oat bales last year with dry hay. We went from 3 bales of 1st cut hay a day to 1 hay and 1 greenfeed. We just spread the bales on the field for the cows. No mixing feed or shredding bales. Just spread it our with the prongs or grapple. Oh and were putting up more greenfeed now too to get through the winter. It sure saved us last year, hope it pulls us through this winter again

My area got hit bad with drought the last couple years and hay yields were terrible. Gonna be a pile of straw fed out with molasses this winter

Unroll is gonna be your cheapest easiest thing if your on pasture. Get a bale spinner or just a 3 point set. 

• Like 1

DB 1486 are you in the southern part of MB? We're on our second year here to. Dugouts are drying up like you wouldn't believe. We'll definitley be putting in something for silage or greenfeed next year, hay just isn't gonna cut it.

16 hours ago, db1486 said:

We fed out Greenfeed oat bales last year with dry hay. We went from 3 bales of 1st cut hay a day to 1 hay and 1 greenfeed. We just spread the bales on the field for the cows. No mixing feed or shredding bales. Just spread it our with the prongs or grapple. Oh and were putting up more greenfeed now too to get through the winter. It sure saved us last year, hope it pulls us through this winter again

My area got hit bad with drought the last couple years and hay yields were terrible. Gonna be a pile of straw fed out with molasses this winter

On 8/21/2019 at 3:45 PM, IH766 said:

DB 1486 are you in the southern part of MB? We're on our second year here to. Dugouts are drying up like you wouldn't believe. We'll definitley be putting in something for silage or greenfeed next year, hay just isn't gonna cut it.

Kind of southwestern. An hour north of Brandon. Tucked away near the park lol. 45 miles west has been getting rains all year. They got 6+ inches this weekend whereas we only got 2.4". But 6 miles north of home didn't even get 2". Which is probably more than we've had all year. If it dont rain again in the next day or so the fields will be bone dry again and you wont even tell it rained. Overall every where is dry, just some pockets are getting the rains, and some aren't. 

We rarely put up greenfeed but the last couple years we did and probably will keep doing it. The newer hay fields should be running 4 or 5 bales an acre, and the last couple years were barely hitting 2. I have a pretty good feeling were in a drought for a little while now