Rick G.

Shopping For New Work Boots

I have worn B.A. Mason shoes since high school.   Usually get 2 years out of a pair.  Wear them everywhere. 

6 hours ago, KWRB said:

I had three sets of the same Red Wings. I love the heck out of them. They discontinued them and now every time I try to go shopping for new boots, I get discouraged that nothing is close to "my" style, and so I give up and don't buy anything. I've been limping my old ones along at least three years longer than I should have...

Same here sort of.  I wore the same number Red Wings for 40+ years.  They quit making them and so far I have not found any of theirs that I like.  I only buy the US made RedWings.

Ron

• Like 1

I am glad some of you include photos.  What you call work boots, I have always called "work shoes".  No laces on my Boots.😀

Keep the replies coming.  I am in the market for boots.  I can't find my Red Wing Work Shoes.  I think the wife threw them away as I seldom ever wore them.  She says she did not.  So be it.  They were not worn out.  I just got too fat to bend over and lace them up comfortably.    I am currently wearing a pair of Ariat Sierra H2O that I picked up a couple Sundays ago at Fleet Farm due to a footwear emergency.   Probably ok for something made in Vietnam, but not something I like.

Ron

17 hours ago, mader656 said:

Whites Boots has shop tread boots they are $$$ but worth every penny.

soon as I get rich  farming :lol: ill place an order

Mike

1 hour ago, Ron Cook said:

I am glad some of you include photos.  What you call work boots, I have always called "work shoes".  No laces on my Boots.

I agree. Im surprised how many of you wear lace ups. Must be im out of style as i still wear western style slip ons. Its nice not to have to lace up in the middle of the night when i leave the house to check the grain dryer and bins during harvest. 

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I agree. Im surprised how many of you wear lace ups. Must be im out of style as i still wear western style slip ons. Its nice not to have to lace up in the middle of the night when i leave the house to check the grain dryer and bins during harvest. 

Ankle support...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Ankle support...

I must not have ankle problems. Left foot is my problem child. I broke it bad 2 years ago. Ankles are fine. What pain i have is on my actual feet 

5 hours ago, Mike H said:

soon as I get rich  farming :lol: ill place an order

Mike

For me they are the lowest cost over the life of the boot option as they last much longer.

6 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Used to wear nothing but pull on work/cowboy boots but about 20 years ago something changed in my feet and couldn’t take the 14 hours in them any longer and had to go to lace ups.

• Thanks 1

Danner USA models and Blue color super feet.  Only way for me.  Water proof..oil good...them Superfeet are $35 and worth 100.  Make a pair of barn boots into Runners work so well.  My brother gets new Superfeet every 9 10 months and says make huge dif on knees at end of day.

7 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Alot of buddies wear Romeos (heck the girls wear em to church round here) in the barn.  Makes no sense since they are so low.  But i got a pair for going to town and quick going out etc.  Last pretty good...also have superfeet!

5 hours ago, mader656 said:

Ankle support...

X2. I worked in both lace-ups and Redwing Pecos pull-ons back in the day.  Started wearing hiking boots to work in, but my ankles aren't very strong and I'm not very graceful, so as a precaution I started wearing 8" lace-ups 10 - 12 years ago.  They've saved me from many a turned ankle.  Took a little getting used to, but I'd hate to go without them now.

• Like 1

I used Red Wing   lace up boots......as long as they had the notation...."Made in The US  " on.......they  came via a Brother in Canada ........ We used to have really well made boots here in New Zealand...no longer......made in Asia....sigh

Some of them were so bad......I wrote to the management of a major Farming retail out fit.......suggesting those  Chinese   boots be sold in pairs.......and they should affix    some eyelets  and laces on the box the boots are sold in ........that way we could get a few miles out of the box's as well...........For reasons known only to themselves, the company found no humour in that response ...to basically ...selling crap.....and expensive crap at that.....

Mike

A lot of work boots here in Oz are now lace-up to adjust to your feet and side zipper for quick entry and exit.  My first pair is more comfortable than the Red Wings I used to use.

Similar to Mike Newman's story - co-worker at smoko unpacking a new pair of government issue boots.  Consensus was to throw the boots away and wear the box, as it would be more comfortable and last longer.

13 hours ago, mader656 said:

Ankle support...

X2.  Would like to wear pull ons, but when I try it, I inevitably roll an ankle in a few days or weeks.  Weak ankles, got em from Dad.  8" lace ups here, USA Red Wings, Chippewas, Rocky, or Georgia.  Used to have good luck out of Red Wings, now its a year whether I get made in USA RWs or China Rockys.

12 hours ago, mader656 said:

For me they are the lowest cost over the life of the boot option as they last much longer.

Agreed ,,,

money is tight right now till we get the operation rolling

Mike

I used to wear Red Wing Pecos pull-ons quite a bit and went to lace-ups and tried Pecos again and they felt way too sloppy. I wear dairy boot pull-ons quite a bit for quick pull-ons, especially in winter and wet conditions. Those side-zipper lace-up boot are called jump boots in the surplus stores here.

Family Farm and home has work boots 20 %off of you got one of them near ya! Got and e-mail from them this weekend only check them out. 

Check out Zappo's.com , I bought a pair of wolverine work boots for $89 shipped to my door in four days. I had never heard of them before but could not find  an 11 1/2 EE in any store in any style, an older lady who works at  a local Bomgaars farm store told me about the web site so I checked it out, they have literally hundreds of different work shoes listed.

I have some thoroughgoods too. They have been good. Got tired of junk wolverines.