Rick G.

Shopping For New Work Boots

I’m in the market for some new work boots and am thinking of trying something other than my usual “go to” Redwings. I am curious about this brand called Thorogood.

Is anyone here wearing this brand and have anything good or bad to say about them? The model I am interested in is called their 6” 1957 Series Moc-Toe, waterproof, “Maxwear 90.” I’ll post a pic: 

DCC4624C-EE7C-4D11-A979-0F5FEE1967AD.jpeg

I figure that lace-up farm boots shouldn't have much tread so they don't track much dirt and should be available in different widths, which narrows it down for me to Red Wing, B.A. Mason, maybe Carolina.

I was against redwings for a long time. Spent some good money on usa made thorogoods.  They didnt last a year on the construction site.  They broke in hard and then wore out in a way that my foot overhang the sole.  Hurt my foot.  

I finally caved to redwings and I will never go back. If you have a pair of boots that fit you good and you like just stick with em.  Imo

Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick G. said:

I’m in the market for some new work boots and am thinking of trying something other than my usual “go to” Redwings. I am curious about this brand called Thorogood.

Is anyone here wearing this brand and have anything good or bad to say about them? The model I am interested in is called their 6” 1957 Series Moc-Toe, waterproof, “Maxwear 90.” I’ll post a pic: 

DCC4624C-EE7C-4D11-A979-0F5FEE1967AD.jpeg

Got the 8” version of the boots pictured above back in April and so far love them. First pair of Thorogoods for me and so far I’m impressed. Wore Redwings for 20 years then Rockies for 10 years and had one pair of Carolina’s before these. I will say like Farmallman77 said “if you have a pair of boots that fit you good and you like just stick with em.”  Thorogoods are high quality in my book though. 

any American made work boot will be good. stay away from Chinese junk.

• Thanks 1

I have been very happy with my Thorogood boots. Comfy in the cow lot or on concrete all day. Never mind the color on the toe. It rained and I was outside in them until about 3 minutes ago. I have a hard time finding a safety toe boot that is comfortable and these are great.  They are also much lighter than the redwings they replaced.  

216EFAA0-DB2F-4D1A-A981-9BE5C040A8B9.jpeg

• Like 1

If you like red wings, try their boots with wire laces. I'm on my third pair and love them. The boots wear out before the lacing system. You can slip them on and go to the truck for something without tightening laces and without dragging standard laces in the dirt.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MarkG said:

If you like red wings, try their boots with wire laces. I'm on my third pair and love them. The boots wear out before the lacing system. You can slip them on and go to the truck for something without tightening laces and without dragging standard laces in the dirt.

Never seen those on work boots, only on wader boots for fishing like these. They also have interchangeable soles for different conditions. That would get off topic so I wont start on those. 

F4FAA084-793B-45A7-8654-A8BB7E19F04F.jpeg

I like my redwings but I walk so much at my job (22-25000 steps easy each day) that I can’t get a pair to last more than 6 months.   The laces have held up longer than any off brand I’ve had however.   

Ever sense red wings went to china the upper leather are great.

the sole on the boots are junk,,, if you get 6 months out of then your lucky

talked to the salesman and he said its my fault for working in bad conditions.:rolleyes:

Mike

• Like 2

americanmadeboots.com

I've bought from them with good results. Several pairs of Carolina boots which I really like. Not all Carolina boots are U.S. made, but all boots at this site are made in U.S.A. I have one pair of Justin Boots too, seem all right too. They sell several different brands. Never had to send any back but they advertise that you can return them.

DWF

Whites Boots has shop tread boots they are $$$ but worth every penny.

• Like 1

I have been using redwings. I have been using eurethane soles on any brand boots I have bought in the last 30 years. 30 years ago when I bought my first pair of Browning boots for hunting they were eurethane soles. The eurethane soles last VERY well for me even on concrete even though they start with less than 1/4" tread to begin with. I have always thought that with good quality boots that fit correctly are worth it and if you are wearing them out from being on concrete but your legs aren't hurting the boots are saving your legs from the strain

• Thanks 1

I've finally`

7 hours ago, farmallman77 said:

If you have a pair of boots that fit you good and you like just stick with em.  Imo

Chris

I've finally settled on Wolverine Tremors. Around $130 and I can get two years on a pair before relegating them to the almost wore-out beater boot collection.  I tried several different styles of Carhartt boots and they all started coming apart within a year.  Tried a pair of Georgia boots for a couple of days but they had a seam in a bad spot that my heels couldn't handle, so Rural King took 'em back.  The Wolverines are really comfortable on me, and the sole isn't too aggressive.  I'm in a lot of people's houses and tracking stuff in isn't cool.

https://www.ruralking.com/W04328

• Like 1

I'm also in the market. I hate wet feet and have found that Gortex is the way to go. I've also found that anyone who claims their waterproof bootie is just as good as Gortex is full of manure.

I've been looking at a pair of Danner online. No stores near me that carry the full line. I need both a low-cut for the fall and a high for the winter. It will be a Gortex boot no matter what.

5 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I've been looking at a pair of Danner online. No stores near me that carry the full line. I need both a low-cut for the fall and a high for the winter. It will be a Gortex boot no matter what.

Danner makes an excellent boot. Pay for the USA made versions. They cost more but are better boots. I’ve had several pairs of hiking/hunting style boots from them. Lacrosse owns them. Call the company in Oregon I believe. Outstanding customer service. I order direct from company and they have free shipping and returns. Run a good sale around Farhers Day every year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Danner makes an excellent boot.

I used to get them when the company I was working for had regular flights to Portland and I could visit the company store. I'd kind of forgotten about them until I started searching Gortex lined boots.

I wear the 804-4367 thorogoods, wide toe steel toe.  They have changed model numbers and features on the boots over the last twenty years, but I've bought the same general boot for twenty years.  US made Carolina's for four years before that.  I really like wide toe boots, thorogood and Carolina both make them in a steel toe or metatarsal.  Both high quality leather and soles.  My thorogoods have a sole that seems to self clean well.  

Last two pairs I ordered from the union boot pro website, got a discount for being union member and couple pair of free socks which were well made us made socks.

Last redwings I owned had urethane soles, they were absolutely horrible on wet steel.  I farm and run heavy equipment which both require walking on wet steel on occassions.  They would slide off like they were greased, never seen anything like it, never wanted another pair.  Fell off a bunch of things wearing them.

15 hours ago, farmallman77 said:

I was against redwings for a long time. Spent some good money on usa made thorogoods.  They didnt last a year on the construction site.  They broke in hard and then wore out in a way that my foot overhang the sole.  Hurt my foot.  

I finally caved to redwings and I will never go back. If you have a pair of boots that fit you good and you like just stick with em.  Imo

Chris

I had three sets of the same Red Wings. I love the heck out of them. They discontinued them and now every time I try to go shopping for new boots, I get discouraged that nothing is close to "my" style, and so I give up and don't buy anything. I've been limping my old ones along at least three years longer than I should have...

Thourogood is the best american made boot ive ever owned. I gave up on red wings years ago. Ive used chippewas for years as well with good luck. This pair is shot as ive had them well over 2 years  For me that is unheard of. The leather is next to none. It is a very soft leather that responds to oil well. Know that it will stretch some so make sure your foot fits fairly firm when new. When your original laces wear through the eyelets you know you have a winner. 

20190821_073314.jpg

20190821_072846.jpg

• Like 1

I was a die hard Red wings customer...  last two pairs the footbed didn't last, they still looked great but my feet HURT after wearing them a while.  I've been pleased with Keen boots, they are made here too.

My dad bought a pair of HYTest boots, they look like the first ones on this page, back in the late 50's to hunt in, and said he wore them out and gave to me back in 1970. I wore them to work and used them for motorcycle boots, etc. etc.. Finally  the sole wore out but the leather was still good. I didn't try and get them re-soled so threw them away. I think about any of the boots that your interested in are a good buy.

3 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

footbed didn't last

I toss the insole on every shoe I wear and install Powerstep ProTech full length orthotics. Podiatrist turned me onto them when treating plantar fasciitis. $50. online at Suprememed.com; cheapest I've found them.

I buy US-made boots.  My favorites are the Red Wing Heritage Iron Rangers.  I first had the smoother sole model 8014 and that is now changed to model 8084 with small lugs.  My first soles are nearly worn out and the uppers look like they will last through several more soles.  My first pair has now been moved to daily wear once I got the second pair which are for evenings and weekends.

I've had US-made Chippewas which were OK...not Red Wing Heritage quality.  I had a pair of US-made Carolina's that seemed to be well made, but pinched my feet once they were broken in...donated to Community Aid.  I never had to do that with a pair of boots before.

My shoes all get SuperFeet green insoles to help curb plantar fasciitis issues.  They wear like iron!