Sign in to follow this  
ny bill o

git yer PSA checked!

I'm a couple weeks late reminding you guys about it this year, but...

in April 2004, I went in for a routine physical. 54 yrs old, felt great, just hadn't had a physical in many years. Dr didn't feel anything wrong with prostate, but PSA came back a little high. did another PSA 2 weeks later, higher yet. Dr sent me to a urologist in Albany that teaches course on prostate issues, did a biopsy, 2 of 14 (28%) came back cancer. had to wait 6 weeks (early August) for rectum to heal before operation to remove offending organ. by then it was over 40% cancerous, and right out to the sheath around the prostate. if I hadn't had operation, I would have been 6 feet under a long time ago. this was just before robotics, but the dr's skills kept "quality of life" issues good.

on a related note, Linda's farmer cousin, same age, was diagnosed same time I was. he had radioactive "seed" put in. died a painful death several yrs later. just saying. your results may vary.

anybody going thru issues now, feel free to PM me.

so get PSA done. I would have missed about 10 RPRUs, my kid's college graduations, my wife's company, etc etc, had I put it off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Had mine done this winter, 1.24 was number. Fella at work had his done, 6.0.

I did the Cologuard thing.Different cancer just as important.No risk factors except age.. No flags whatsoever. Sure beats," have you had your colonoscopy"?

38 minutes ago, exSW said:

I did the Cologuard thing.Different cancer just as important.No risk factors except age.. No flags whatsoever. Sure beats," have you had your colonoscopy"?

I had everything checked out back in January. All clear! Bill; my brother just went through the whole prostate thing and I can see it was no fun at all!  If you have no instances of colon cancer in your family then you are probably ok. But.... Cologuard is less than 50% effective in finding precancerous polyps and can give false positive readings. I've lost 3 family members to colon cancer, all were 25,30 years ago when screenings were not as complete as today. Anyone over 50 should have at least one full colonoscopy to know precisely what their condition is. After all it takes is a little more than one day out of your life where cancer may take all your days.

1 hour ago, TomH said:

I had everything checked out back in January. All clear! Bill; my brother just went through the whole prostate thing and I can see it was no fun at all!  If you have no instances of colon cancer in your family then you are probably ok. But.... Cologuard is less than 50% effective in finding precancerous polyps and can give false positive readings. I've lost 3 family members to colon cancer, all were 25,30 years ago when screenings were not as complete as today. Anyone over 50 should have at least one full colonoscopy to know precisely what their condition is. After all it takes is a little more than one day out of your life where cancer may take all your days.

Definitely if you have a history or family history that is an entirely different matter. The Cologaurd also does a genetic analysis for predisposition to colon cancer. So even if you have no history it will still catch the markers and refer you back to the Dr. It just tics me off that they push colonoscopy so hard to the exclusion of more imminent issues.Go into the Drs office with a serious existing medical condition(like I did) that requires immediate treatment and the first thing the Bimbos ask is "Have you had your colonoscopy?"

Little known is that after a male turns 70 docs don't care about PSA any longer!!  Strange but appears if you make it to 70 without issues you get a pass.

Don't want to cause some of you younger guys any problems bu it takes a long time for the symptoms of a prostate and bladder biopsy to go away, in my case over a year of related issues.

I'll share this with you all. My wife and I had our colonoscopies last winter. Hers showed a bulge in her large intestine and led to scans which showed a fairly large growth on her appendix. She had no discomfort prior to this.  Doc did a full incision as to not risk a rupture on the removal and the biopsy showed pre-cancerous cells. She will now have a yearly checkup and scan and the doc is confident all will be well since he caught it early. It could have been the other way...  So, if you are procrastinating about having the "real deal" procedure, do yourself and your loved-ones a favor, take the time and get it done. 

Bill, glad you are doing well!

I will add- all prostate cancer is not the same. mine was a very aggressive type. the Drs give it a Gleason score, with 7 as a total. a 3+4 is different aggressiveness than a 4+3 or a 2+5 or whatever. Dr said usually, a man will die with prostate cancer, but maybe not because of it. or not.

don't gamble.

• Like 1

Know of a guy whose PSA results were through the roof.  Concerned he followed up and luckily happen to get an appointment w/ one of the best......the Dr. that created the PSA test.......this guy knows his stuff.

Had a biopsy that showed no cancer......very unusual given the PSA result.  Friend undergoes routine testing to determine if things have changed.

Aside the situation above routine screening can save lives.......your own. 

Had my psa check 👍

Our county runs psa on all of us over 40 that volunteer with fire dept at our annual stress test and physical. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, exSW said:

I had a colonoscopy at 33 (34?), because of an issue I saw. I don't exactly love the thought, but I like the peace of mind it brought!

Strange my Dr didnt push for psa test...in fact said there were instances of false pos or what ever and didnt act like it was necessary. That was last physical or the one a few years before it. He did however try to schedule a colonoscopy...so far i have drug me feet. Just turned 54 last month....

15 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Strange my Dr didnt push for psa test...in fact said there were instances of false pos or what ever and didnt act like it was necessary. That was last physical or the one a few years before it. He did however try to schedule a colonoscopy...so far i have drug me feet. Just turned 54 last month....

several years ago, a Dr's group (AMA?) said PSA test wasn't necessary, for reasons like false positives. I beg to differ. I had no overt symptoms, but I know what Dr Fisher found only 4 months after the start of the medical process (first PSA). if the cancer had escaped the sheath, there are lymph nodes right there, with connections all over the body. it would have been the start of my Goodbye Tour, and I wouldn't have even known it.

fwiw, prepping for the colonoscopy is annoying, but take a couple issues of Red Power Mag to the throne with you, and some hard candies to suck on in between swigs. the evening will go by. the colonoscopy itself - you're asleep, so.... you will provide some entertainment to your spouse and the nurses when you wake up in recovery. don't sign anything, for example. lol

Lol ok bill. Sounds like in your case it for sure was a good deal to get it done. I will strongly consider asking for it next physical. I know i should do the colonoscopy too and will....kinda bad deal this uear tho all my vac time is already spoken for....i may have to move some stuff around and do it anyway....or take a sick day...or maybe do the cologuard thing for now and real thing when vac renews.....🤔

Just had mine done last week: 0.48.  Whew, glad of that!  My Dad died from cancer that started as prostate but metastasized to bone cancer.  He fought it for 8 years and died at 76.  I am 57.

12 hours ago, highcotton said:

Our county runs psa on all of us over 40 that volunteer with fire dept at our annual stress test and physical. 

Wow that is good, I am career firefighter and all we get is pulmonary function test , hearing checked and take our blood pressure every 2 years. 

Have had 3 colonoscopies so far, get one every 5 years. I have IBS and father died of prostate cancer and mother of colo rectal cancer so high risk

PSA is used as a trend reference. FIL was running around 4.5, had a biopsy that showed nothing. Continued to monitor and a couple of years later spiked to 9. New biopsy found aggressive cancer so he got directional radiation treatments, not seeds. Got it in time due to monitoring!

Get PSA and colonoscopy, PSA is just a blood sample and colonoscopy is just unpleasant preparation. Anesthesia seems tough on me. After I wake up I go home and sleep for the rest of the day.  

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

You're going to love it! The actual procedure isn't so bad, the 'prep' the day before SUCKS! I had a can of broth to eat that day. You really don't want a lot more after you drink that stuff. Seems like you are never going to stop 'going'. I was about half scared to go to sleep for fear of waking up to an accident. Didn't happen but was still nervous.

Started my colonoscopy prep at 6 pm on a Sunday doctor just gave me list for all over the counter stuff, by 1 am all was done coming out.procedure at 11 am Monday in recovery by 1130 and did endoscopy as well. I basically fasted all day Sunday so prep wasn’t much.  I guess you could always go to Taco Bell for a fast clean Out!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

You're going to love it! The actual procedure isn't so bad, the 'prep' the day before SUCKS! I had a can of broth to eat that day. You really don't want a lot more after you drink that stuff. Seems like you are never going to stop 'going'. I was about half scared to go to sleep for fear of waking up to an accident. Didn't happen but was still nervous.

My doc had me drink a 10 ounce bottle of magnesium citrate take two ducolal tablets then mix a bottle of miralax with 32 ounces of Gatorade and that was it. Was completely clean he said. Found 5 polyps all benign.

5 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Wow that is good, I am career firefighter and all we get is pulmonary function test , hearing checked and take our blood pressure every 2 years. 

Have had 3 colonoscopies so far, get one every 5 years. I have IBS and father died of prostate cancer and mother of colo rectal cancer so high risk

We go every October and have a treadmill stress test, flexibility tests, strength tests, hearing, sight etc. Run resting ekg and full blood panel. I asked the fire board if they could include psa if we were over 40 and they said it cost an extra $25. I reminded them that I go into burning houses and run car wrecks at 3 am for free and that I didn’t think it was too much to ask- county council agreed. 

• Like 1

If anyone is uncertain about the preparation procedure for the colonoscopy you want to listen to this to understand what NOT to do

• Haha 1