Ive been trying to work on killing some johnson grass on some rented ground for a year now. So far ive did 2 burn downs with roundup, and it keeps coming back with vengance. Tonight i am attacking it with roundup and outrider. This stuff is expensive but supposed to work good. We will see. Meanwhile ive got about 10 acres i cant do anything with. Anyhow since ive grown to hate the stuff i have noticed the last few years it just keeps getting worse and worse in my area. Its all over in river bottoms and road ditches and now taking flight in hay fields all over. The state wont do anything to suppress the situation in ditches. So meanwhile it blows onto fields and keeps growing. Are other states doing anything about the stuff? Does anyone care? Until you have been plaiged by its invasive presence you wouldnt understand the urgency of the situation. 

We have been fighting it for years in the crop fields, and now like you said, it is covering our hay and pasture fields. We tried a rope wick several years ago, it thinned it out some but now it is thicker than ever . I heard that hogs would root it out and get rid of it, but i'm not that desperate yet.

My farmer buddy share crops his fields to a cattle guy who fertilizes the Johnson grass and bales it for his beef.  The word is out that the hay is fine if it is cut early prior to higher nitrogen build up.   Farmer decided after fighting the Johnson for years he would live with it!!  Mowing it actually makes it grow and spread faster.   I wanted to try deep turn over with a heavy breaking plow but farmer did not want to pay for the cost/fuel to do all 85 acres. He wanted tp plant soybeans  but there is just no CHEAP way to control the Johnson. Another import from the middle east!!! 

Fought it as well. Just got through baling some last week. Haven't heard any results on outsider. Sprayed some with roundup. I think all that done was killed everything else which made it even worse. Turned it brown but didn't kill it.  

If you can cut it early it makes good hay. Problem is, it grows so darn fast and then it gets tough and maybe sour, and they won't eat it. It grows here alone the creek bottoms. It doesn't like tillage or dry soil I don't think. It likes the wetter ground. At least here.

When I had the cows I had a small area of it on some rented pasture. I was rotational grazing so I would overload that patch with cows as soon as it got a foot  tall and they would eat it to the ground.

As long as the BIL was growing corn/soybeans it wasn't an issue, but as soon as he quit, it took off along the creeks. 

Maybe try discing the heck out of it in the spring and then spray it with (????)

I have heard out rider will kill it. If you continually graze it for a couple months cows will kill it. They wI'll keep it grazed off until the roots die. I love johnson grass and crab grass in my pastures. I rotational graze and it works out well. Thx-Ace

13 minutes ago, acem said:

I have heard out rider will kill it. If you continually graze it for a couple months cows will kill it. They wI'll keep it grazed off until the roots die. I love johnson grass and crab grass in my pastures. I rotational graze and it works out well. Thx-Ace

Ive heard the cows will kill it but havent ever actually proved it. You do have to still watch prussic acid poisoning im told. The thing that bothers me about baling it is that then they haul it spreading seed along the road ditches and cause anyone buying it to feed spreading the seed. Seems like someone should step in and try to erradicate it. Once it shows up it takes over. 

No Johnson grass in my area that I know of,Shattercane used to be a problem but round up took care of that I believe.We have Poison Hemlock now ,real bad stuff kill humans and cows,potent up to 2 years in baled hay I read. Giant Hogweed  and Marestail (which is everywhere) and it laughs at round up.Russin Olive and Alanthia which takes over meadows and woods.The state here does nothing other then tell you to look out for it and kill it.They autta help pay to kill this crap

I know how to kill it.