jmwi

1/2 drill corded recommendations

I agree with Seth, if you want something for under $100 it’s going to be garbage....

• Thanks 1

On the other side of the coin, the motor quit on my 18V Ingersol Rand D650 drill.

I easily found a new one for $30 shipped in. Fit perfect and back running.

I have a trigger switch bad on a Snap-On  CDR7850 drill driver.

Snap-On wants $120 to overhaul it.

Parts for this are virtually non-existant.

Anyone able to get parts for a Snap-On?

Parts and service are a big thing for me. Not furnishing parts is not a plus for Snap-On.

It will be Milwaukee or Dewalt next time.

3 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Do you have proof?

You want pictures or video?

i got more to do tomorrow 

4 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

I must concur! I have the 1/2" Fuel  hammer drill. It comes with a clamp on side handle. I first thought that's for whimps, but the first time I used a large hole saw it twisted my arm pretty good. More torque than most corded drills easily. The only thing that could keep up would be a hole hawg or a serious D handle. I'm pretty sure that it actually did break (fracture) something in my arm since it was quite sore for a month afterward. I use the handle now! You must "own" it or it will "own" you. 

We have a “super Hog” it doesn’t come out of the box all that often anymore since we went to the fuels. The Milwaukee cordless replaced a series of dewalt 18v cordless. I don’t have anything bad to say about the dewalt, they were good tools but the Milwaukee is 10 times the tool, like a super C vs a 1086

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bitty said:

I am through with the DeWalt ones that we have. It's not cheap but I think I want to get an Ingersoll 20V 1000' lb to 1500' lb breakout impact wrench and drill also. We have just started to get the harbor freight 20v drills 

I think Milwaukee just came out with an 18 volt to about match that IR, a 1” beast

Hard to beat a Milwaukee corded drills, it will last for awhile and you dint have to worry about the batteries being discontinued like Milwaukee had done a few times already 

I went nuts last year, threw my Craftsman stuff in the drawer and bought 7 of the Fuel pieces.  HolyPoop. The 1/2" impact is Rediculous, I ran a nut down to 700 ft.lbs with my torque wrench and the impact spun it loose without hammering, at all. Just Zip. Off.  The drill will twist you around. And the 1/4". (Yes 1/4") impact driver will take the wheel lugnuts on a superduty down to 140-144ft.lbs. (Yep), and remove/replace  30-40 tires before it needs a charge. I had to buy the matching Milwaukee 1/4" driver. Impact rated 1/2" adapter though, as the tiny tool shatterd my Dewalt and Bosch (good stuff) adapters.  It's my favorite piece. 1/4". Impact..tiny. 

Oooh, corded.  I have a  1/2" corded Milwaukee and a Bosch.  They were each $150 ish I think ten years ago.  I prefer the Bosch. 

i have a 1/2" Blue Point drill that i never seem to use anymore, if you want it i'd be willing to sell, only drawback is it's single speed , 600 rmp i think, with no reverse

the picture isnt mine but thats what it looks like

s-l1600.jpg

The Dewalt cordless I have are all 20 volt including the grease gun. Battery life has been excellent.

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

I think Milwaukee just came out with an 18 volt to about match that IR, a 1” beast

Hard to beat a Milwaukee corded drills, it will last for awhile and you dint have to worry about the batteries being discontinued like Milwaukee had done a few times already 

They all have discontinued their old platforms. Milwaukee is the only one pledging to stay with their current M18 platform. No 20/60 volt bs like DeWalt.

Milwaukee also is usually running a teade in promo. 100 dollars off if you bring in a competitors tool , that alone is HUGE incentive.

I had Dewalt 20v tools in my shop that was at the time unheated. The tools performed fine and the reason Milwaukee tools assumed there place was the batteries. If it was below 20* in my shop for any length of time they wouldn’t work at all. I had gotten a few of the tools from a freind that is the regional sales manager and he informed me that it was a normal protective thing for the batteries to not work if it was below a certain temperature. It was very irritating and I ended up sellering all of them and buying into the Milwaukee fuel line. There are a few tools which I think dewalt had over Milwaukee, one was the 1/2” impact. I’m not sure if it had quite the capacity, but was still an animal but in a slightly smaller lighter package. Milwaukee grease gun is hands down nicer and more powerful. Milwaukee batteries are way ahead of dewalt in about every way. Don’t heat up as fast and run longer for equal amp hours. Dewalt rep says they fixed temperature thing in there new batteries. I haven’t tried them and probably won’t, he wasn’t very happy when I got rid of all of them, but oh well...

As far as a drill, I own a Milwaukee hole hog that never gets used. The Milwaukee fuel 1/2” hammer drill will hurt you if you’re not careful. That would be my choice and they are warrantied for 5 years. If you use them every day that’s hard to beat in its self. 

9 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

i have a 1/2" Blue Point drill that i never seem to use anymore, if you want it i'd be willing to sell, only drawback is it's single speed , 600 rmp i think, with no reverse

That is a Black and Decker isn't is..................the original B&D that were beasts, not this dollar store junk now.  

I have an old Porter Cable 1/2" drill that is like that B\D.  It has a 1 1/2" pipe handle on top but has a forward and reverse rocker switch type trigger.  It can be dangerous to use if you aren't careful.  No clutch  and if it grabs it just winds you up!  But it is low RPM and NOTHING STOPS IT.

8 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I have an old Porter Cable 1/2" drill that is like that BC\D.  It has a 1 1/2" pipe handle on top but has a forward and reverse rocker switch type trigger.  It can be dangerous to use if you aren't careful.  No clutch  and if it grabs it just winds you up!  But it is low RPM and NOTHING STOPS IT.

I had one of those. Heavy as an anvil. It went up in smoke one day (shocked the crap out of me when it did) and I was amazed at how much lighter the new drills are with what seems like the same power. They may not last as long as the old PC but so far, so good. Double insulated as well, a very good thing. I was glad I wasn't standing in a puddle when the old drill let go.

The old one was probably talking/warning me as it was loosing power just before the sparks flew.

Yeah, and I bought it from an dock builder!  Maybe that was why he was getting rid of it!  LOL!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

s-l1600.jpg

Reminds me of the old Thor we used to have. 

I had a couple of old Thor 1/4" drills I got from my granddad!

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That is a Black and Decker isn't is..................the original B&D that were beasts, not this dollar store junk now.  

That’s what I thought too when I saw it. Have one in the shop that looks identical but it never gets used any more. 

16 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Do you have proof?

Mostly we use this hole saw on Sheetrock, so it is kinda dull

1ACCC6FE-7755-456F-8261-FFBD4410584D.png

We use a Milwaukee Hole Hawg Drill, cat # 1675-1, 300/1200 RPM, yes it runs from 115VAC  900W and is our go-to drill when using a hole saws or silver and deeming bits and the going gets rough. 2 speed gear box with reverse. To make it complete I would like a Morse taper chuck!  Big and heavy, warning sign " brace against a solid object in low speed". Made prior to Milwaukee becoming another Chinese import. A small drill that has served us well for 52 years is a Craftsman 3/8 small frame, aluminum cased  variable speed drill.  Still running on the same brushes!  Variable speed now is off and on. I USED it on 19AUG19 driving a counter-sink. Wonder how many expensive batteries it would have consumed in 52 years?? Our local local machine shop has a Milwaukee Mag drill, (labeled as a broach)  perfect machine for drilling into a vehicle frame to install a flat bed.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Mostly we use this hole saw on Sheetrock, so it is kinda dull

1ACCC6FE-7755-456F-8261-FFBD4410584D.png

I was talking about Home Depot Milwaukee tools being different.

1 hour ago, Dave Shepard said:

I was talking about Home Depot Milwaukee tools being different.

They had a demo set up at the local lumber yard, had one of their 18v nicad batteries set up, some one was challenging the price difference, they went to their truck and got one of the Hd batteries that was labeled the same. The one from HD had 3 cells less than the one from the lumber yard. 

Thats just a battery, I’ll put my cordless tools up against HD tools any day and I’ll bet all my tools that they will be a better made tool. The big box store has the buying power to make their own specs. Try to warranty a HD tool at 4.5 years. I’m guessing they won’t 

6 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

That’s what I thought too when I saw it. Have one in the shop that looks identical but it never gets used any more. 

6 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Blue P:oint was/is owned by Snapon

2 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

Blue P:oint was/is owned by Snapon

Yes I’m aware of that, We have a 3/4” blue point impact gun that has served us well but seldom gets used now except for the real stubborn fasteners.  Everyone once in a while I’ll have to bring it out to get a nut loose that my 1/2” Milwaukee won’t quite budge.