FARMALL FIXER

Nashville Vacation

6 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

It has been quite awhile since the Wife and I have took a vacation so we are contemplating going to Nashville the first few weeks in September , how we managed to be able to both get the same time off from our jobs is a miracle .

We are avid Country and Western music fans so the Music City seems like a fitting choice .

Aside from the Grand Old Opery , anyother suggestions for things to see and do while we are there ?

Farmall Fixer.....had three weeks in Tennesse back in 2005.......included  the RPRU  that year......(Lebanon.....just out of Nashville..)...one of many highlights was the Grand ol'  Oprey.......Wife and I big on proper music  ...thus the night at the Oprey  was  just sublime...... Wife loved the tours of  Music  City....organised   by the RP Chapter to give the wives some relief from the tractors!!!.......

We had a well  used  "American   Lodge"   (as we called it ...)   ...cast iron fry pan, back home in NZ........Whilst in Tennessee...we looked up the Lodge  Retail   Outlet......and brought a bunch of beautiful   crafted cast iron   "cook ware " to take home to NZ.....probably  not high on your wish list  FF......(:mellow:)...but I love to have anything that I /we personally  use...tools/rifles /tractors / etc with  "Made In USA "  inscribed thereon...only way to go !!

Mike

• Like 2

Nobody has mentioned the Ryman, maybe you can't just walk in and look around anymore. I got to go there a couple times with mom & dad in the 60s, also remember sitting around the radio on Saturday night.  Went to one show at the opry land.  Last time at the Ryman just sit and reminisced, visualized the stars of the late 50s & 60s on the old stage, tried to remember where we sat, etc.   My mind went blank but what was the candy called ?  Moon pies ?  Goo Goo bars ?  Anybody remember ?  Sorry for the blabbering on, just memories.

24 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Nobody has mentioned the Ryman, maybe you can't just walk in and look around anymore. I got to go there a couple times with mom & dad in the 60s, also remember sitting around the radio on Saturday night.  Went to one show at the opry land.  Last time at the Ryman just sit and reminisced, visualized the stars of the late 50s & 60s on the old stage, tried to remember where we sat, etc.   My mind went blank but what was the candy called ?  Moon pies ?  Goo Goo bars ?  Anybody remember ?  Sorry for the blabbering on, just memories.

Is the Ryman theater where the Grand Old Opery got its roots ?That would be a good place to see too .

21 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Goo Goo  Clusters

Might have to find me some of them Goo Goo Clusters and give them a try .

22 minutes ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

Is the Ryman theater where the Grand Old Opery got its roots ?That would be a good place to see too .

I'd always thought that the Solumn Ole Judge had said Opry.

best, randy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Moe Bandy and Joe Stampley were a great combination, loved their music. I think Moe Bandy was a bull fighter before he got into music.

I think you're right on the bullfighter. His brother Mike(Banjo) made the NFR in the bull riding a couple times. **** of a bull rider. Today he'd be a millionaire.

• Like 1

The Ryman has tours.  You get to go backstage and see the dressing rooms.  The Hermitage is on the East end of town.  South of town near Franklin is the site of a Civil war battle and some of the plantation buildings give tours.  The old post office downtown is now an art gallery and very interesting.  There is a replica of the Greek Parthenon that is pretty neat.  We liked Martins barbecue that was near our hotel.  Nashville is really a neat place to visit.  Have a good trip!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, axial_al said:

The Ryman has tours.  You get to go backstage and see the dressing rooms.  The Hermitage is on the East end of town.  South of town near Franklin is the site of a Civil war battle and some of the plantation buildings give tours.  The old post office downtown is now an art gallery and very interesting.  There is a replica of the Greek Parthenon that is pretty neat.  We liked Martins barbecue that was near our hotel.  Nashville is really a neat place to visit.  Have a good 

I honestly never eben thought about the Civil War history there , that would be very interesting to see . 

Not in Nashville, but check out ruby falls if you have time.    It’s in Chattanooga 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nate said:

Not in Nashville, but check out ruby falls if you have time.    It’s in Chattanooga 

Great suggestion. Ruby falls is amazing. It's an under ground water fall. You take an elevator down into the earth to get there. On the way to Chattanooga on Interstate 24 is the Barrett factory store. I think it's at exit 89 on i24. Large retail gun store and yes you can buy a Barrett 50 cal there.

• Like 1

Just got back from Nashville, just north of the new Opry is a place on McGlavic Pike called The Nashville Night Life theater. Smorgasboard and excellent music. Jack Daniels  is a short distant south east.

• Like 1

Any Cracker Barrel Restaurant carries the GOO GOO Candies and if you want the real deal, the Goo Goo Shop is 116 3rd Ave. South, of Broadway. Opens at 10a.m. closes by 7p.m. many people eat at Jacks BBQ but are pricey. My preferred BBQ restaurant is Famous Daves in Hermitage, just east of Nashville about 12 miles, 1 mile south of Lebanon Road on Old Hickory Blvd. I might add that many of the younger folks like to visit The Gulch area for their eating pleasures. It starts at 12th Ave. South off Broadway. Many folks like Martins BBQ but I have not had the pleasure, because I don't like the long wait in lines.

General Jackson Riverboat ( Paddle Wheeler ) has a good Dinner Cruise and Show. It is located at 2812 Opryland Drive and take you down the Cumberland River to Downtown Nashville and back.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

That would be just cool , to have beer with someone like Mel Tillis . Must be a pretty common ordinary guy in person . I enjoy that old country music , KDLO 96.9 radio station plays the old country music here on Sunday mornings until noon .

That's what I listen to.   Best station. at work it comes and goes.  In one spot it's pop,another it Spanish, the most spots it good old country 

Had to look it up. My station is wklo 96.9.  Just seen the LO 96.9.   

• Like 1

Take the old time trolley ride! if you love history there’s two  historical parks centennial and bicentennial parks,the Ryman Auditorium is awesome  The grand old Opry The trolley tour you learn a lot of the history of Nashville there’s also marathon motor works and all the music  don’t forget Hattie B’s chicken

Been there twice and want to go again!

9F8CA8B8-EBE4-4A28-8A1E-24237D7F3FD6.jpeg

6D026D4D-281B-4352-B180-C9E21ECF4B19.jpeg

8746DF63-4C5C-493B-BDC6-A9FD218554B3.jpeg

796D76EF-632E-4126-B77E-FE6FE605F76F.jpeg

699A0B4F-DF28-4F33-90F0-F8968F362DB8.jpeg

• Like 2

Anther couple places are the Johnny Cash museum.   And the Marathon village where it is the old marathon sumo bile factory with all different old machines in there   Antique archeology “American pickers” is around there also  

• Like 1

Glad I asked for suggestions I have gotten some excellent ones and am looking forward to this trip . Finding things to do doesnt appear like it is going to be a problem .

They also have some Redneck trolley Tours and Fun time Trolley Tours. If you want a very nice dinner, then Jimmy Kelly's is in an old Antebellum home near Centennial Park on 217 Louise Ave. 615-329-4349....BE Warned that in old homes the rooms are small.

The sky is the limit in Nashville.

• Like 1

The customers power it by pedaling. The bar tender stears it. At the red light the bar tender locks the brakes and serves drinks. Good times!!! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think anyone has mentioned  opryland hotel and convention center , it is a beautiful indoor garden & riverside park.  Dosen't cost anything to walk through it. Also earnest tubbs record shop is very historic to the area .All the other things mentioned are great .  Nighttime (if you can handle crowds)  on lower Broadway is really exciting  with all the honky tonks lights & music.  If you don't like crowds  I'd suggest  afternoon bar hopping. 

Have fun !

• Like 1

I dont think anyone has mentioned  opryland hotel and convention center , it is a beautiful indoor garden & riverside park.  Dosen't cost anything to walk through it. Also earnest tubbs record shop is very historic to the area .All the other things mentioned are great .  Nighttime (if you can handle crowds)  on lower Broadway is really exciting  with all the honky tonks lights & music.  If you don't like crowds  I'd suggest  afternoon bar hopping. 

Have fun !

Have fun !

Have fun !

Is this Pete and Repeat?