5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

What do you suppose the workmans comp schedule looks like for snake removers? Is it higher or lower than say...plumber?

Killing snakes...errr.....I mean “removing” snakes is the easy part, it’s VanDam you need to worry about. 

13435045-B00B-4BD2-B4D4-4C2D4F834FF0.gif

• Haha 3

Of the 8 Coyotes that have been killed on my place during hunting season the last 2 years, NONE were UNDER 50 lbs. Largest was 75. Before they arrived back in this area it was nothing to see 40-50 turkeys cross the upper pasture between the wood lines. Now, If I see 4 it's a big day. Also, no more ground hogs or stray cats. Black bears are a big problem here right now. They are not sure why, but the population has majorly increased over the last 5 years. And, don't get me started on the reintroduction of ELK. They are doing it in the SW part of VA along with red wolves. I'm sure they will end up here at some point.

As somebody said there is a reason we killed this stuff a 100 years ago....

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, Jacka said:

Yes but do they howl ? Dont know don't live out there.Just what I was told and read. 

I would say they howl , when you hear them from a long way off .When 3 or 4 are visiting 30 ft from your house at 2 in the morning it is definately not a howl.

12 minutes ago, IKS said:

I would say they howl , when you hear them from a long way off .When 3 or 4 are visiting 30 ft from your house at 2 in the morning it is definately not a howl.

Like I said I never heard the western coyotes nor have I ever heard a wolf howl in the wild.I heard wolves just on TV.Theses buggers make that crazy yipping noise,it gets real loud and frantic like,I guess that is a group chasing something down. But the howl sounds just like when you hear the wolf howl on TV or documentaries.That is bout as close as I can come to describing it.They get close here too,our dogs standing on our deck raising Cain,I spotted then 20 yards away at 2 am.I got up loaded shotgun,walked out side and the bugger just moseying out of range,shot at him made me feel better.I hope at least stung him enough not to come back

• Like 1

Wolf/coyote all the same to the city folk. A cute little furry animal. They have no idea nor will they care till one of them pack off one of their kids. Just a matter of time and the wolfs will kill in Western Washington. Wolfs are very active with breeding and multiplying in E Washington and killing cattle. Wolfs are already spotted on the west side in higher elevations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 806 man said:

Wolf/coyote all the same to the city folk. A cute little furry animal. They have no idea nor will they care till one of them pack off one of their kids. Just a matter of time and the wolfs will kill in Western Washington. Wolfs are very active with breeding and multiplying in E Washington and killing cattle. Wolfs are already spotted on the west side in higher elevations.

Coyotes can be a PIA but are mostly scavengers. Wolves are killing machines and anyone who thinks we need to have them around have never seen the devastation they can cause.

• Like 2

It make me sick if they got into my cows.There be **** to pay for them. Beef cows are can take care of their own most times but I imagine wouldn't have much chance against wolves.

ive heard tell of guys shooting a chipped animal and throwing it on a coal trail and never seeing it again!  not sure if it was true. but to my knowledge the chips would only track current location not record anything!

Reminded me of a story I read about a bad coyote predation problem in sheep country in Wyoming. Government experts came in and put on a slide presentation including pictures, statistics and graphs culminating in a comprehensive plan to capture and castrate all the male coyotes in the area. Expecting enthusiastic questions, the young wet behind the ears "expert" looked around the room to dead silence. Then a grizzled old rancher stood up an said "sonny, them coyotes ain't #&_*!?@ our sheep their eatin em!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/19/2019 at 7:20 PM, IKS said:

I've heard the coyotes howl at my place. Twice in ten years. Honestly, I love it. It is the clearest cleanest one note; it makes me smile and want to move even farther out. Made my hair stand up though. It was winter both times so the air was quite silent, which makes it that much cooler to hear.

For anyone within driving distance, there's a wolf sanctuary in New York, south of Syracuse, that is totally worth the trip. I've taken my family twice. http://www.thewolfmountainnaturecenter.org/. I found it to be very informative and since then I've actually come to the conclusion that I like my coyotes and the deer kill.

Between the wolf sanctuary and the Forest Owners' lectures at the New York Farm Show, I've learned quite a bit. I'm something of an amateur expert. I know just enough to be annoying about it on a web forum! 😀

Not to get all Lion King here, but it's all connected in a big circle, and when the circle is broken, that's when one critter becomes a "nuisance". For me it starts with my woods. I have learned an awful lot about forests since buying my property. Just about 100 years ago, New York State was something like 85% deforested farmland. Then (relatively) all at once much of that farmland was abandoned. There were a lot of contributing factors, but the result was that all at once fields and pastures were abandoned and trees started growing all the same time. Northeasterners have seen this -rock walls all through the woods. We also know that certain trees, if germinated at the same time as others, will out compete the rest. As a result, even though they look lush and green, there are a lot of monoculture forests in New York. Not only are they one species, but they're all the same age, and they're all going to die fairly close together, meaning crappy quality woods. In my case (and that of many others) beech dominates the others. There are three reasons for this. One, beech will shoot suckers off the roots of an injured tree, meaning cutting one down has limited effect on the dominance of beech in an area unless you use *gasp* glyphosate on the stump. Two, they are very shade tolerant, meaning a beech sapling will thrive in the shade in a forest, ready to shoot right up as soon as something dies and the canopy space opens up. The saplings have a head start over the cherry and oaks, etc. Third, beech are very browse resistant. Deer will eat most things before they eat a beech bud. So if there are deer, and beech, it's hard to establish anything else in the woods. I planted a few oaks and they've stripped them right down and nearly killed them. I fenced them after the fact.

So, this is a long winded way of saying, there are lots of deer in New York and I won't let anyone kill coyotes here, because I want the deer population down in my woods, so I can have something other then beech in my woods. Over course more beech means more turkeys, which means even more coyotes and might eventually mean no deer, and I'll want the deer back... circle of life.

Hakuna Matata, people!

Another wolf sighting yesterday. A neighbors son saw one but couldn't get his phone out in time before he ran into a cornfield. About 2 miles east of first sighting. Took his dad out and they got these pics of the tracks. Part of the pair that was here or a new one? Hope this doesn't become the norm. So far no damage, hope it stays that way. Hate to get complacent.

383361211_wolftrack0905192.jpg.484b25e2ba66639f48c99f6256a9bb14.jpg

520529378_wolftrack090519.jpg.c9ca872d4f17e755497d81c06127eb39.jpg

Better put the 3 little pigs in a brick house.

25 minutes ago, MTO said:

Better put the 3 little pigs in a brick house.

Well, I guess these girls learned to deal with it...............................................

826272936_girlswolfpack.thumb.jpg.4ad8169828d3915332d9f8f9f82414e9.jpg

On 8/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, ihfarmer1586 said:

That's a big print!  Wouldn't a powerful magnet disable a tracking chip?  I hope they keep on moving away from your place.  

Needs to be a big magnet, skin him and run the magnet over, my experience is in redwolves and red-wolf hybrid. You want anything that can disable an RMS chip.

A lot of the universities and USFS are going to using a collar implant that is gps. It can be disabled with strong magnet as well sir. Like at the junkyard magnet.

Best thing to skin it, run magnet over the pelt and the neck, rear thighs, if you don't find something that sets off your magnet or has a draw- just save yourself the trouble and break out the sawzall and take him apart, dump the pieces in seperate places, don't leave bags, get rid of the sawzall blades.

Don't ever use a power saw to dismember anything- it chips up the formerly living just like wet dull saw dust with even a sharp chain and you need a stout saw besides. You'll get blood and viscera all over your saw besides, ain't worth it.

Best bet, shot, sawzall, silence. Our fathers used to do shoot, shovel, silence, but not no more.

There is a device you can get used off Ebay- it plays their call. There is a call available for coyote that works for them and coy-dogs, and there is one that works with our red wolves we have out here- Forest Service released d@mned red wolves on us two decades ago. That was part of us getting out of the cattle business in '99. That and NAFTA where the Mexicans were bootlegging Argintinean beef into the USA as Mexican beef. But those wolves they let loose had a license to kill our cattle and USFS did nothing. Anyway, a good deal of people have bought those call devices used off Ebay, there are call files available on the Internet. The old ones aren't expandable like the newer models, that are digital.