Coyotes deer and turkey are tripping over each other here nowadays they are getting real comfy around humans only real treat to the yotes n deer are gm Toyota Ford etc,also starting to see more black bear and bobcat. Something that's been hard on the livestock here is the black headed vulture they will pick the eyes out of a calf quick. I heard a few years ago that they released rattle snakes here to control the turkey IMHO I'd deal with a turkey any day than rather a rattler

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

WHAT? Of all the idiotic lame brained need your head examined things to do. Why on God's green earth would you introduce rattle snakes into an area that was lucky enough to not have them in the first place. I understand the dumba$$ed reasoning behind some of the other things DNR does but rattlesnakes? Maybe I should reintroduce pack rats into their homes!

Nebraska had a bounty on wolves early 1900's and eliminated them for a reason. 

Yup, I’ve heard the story also but it was a DNR pickup that dumped them out. Some hunters saw it and took care of the problem supposedly. Never heard where, when, or how many so it could be made up for all I know. They will control the turkeys you know......(silly). There haven’t been rattlesnakes around here since the late 1800’s. We have a bluff along the river called rattlesnake bluff where they allegedly found a den back in those days, filled it with dynamite and blew it up. Probably lots of stories like that also from different places. 

Black headed vultures aren’t good. There used to be a couple around here but I heard they “got the point” that they weren’t wanted and abruptly fell off the food chain....

• Like 1

Full metal jacket through its guts usually works. Goes straight through no evidence left behind.

• Like 3

My mother in law just eliminated a rattler the other day. They were in the house and heard the rattlesnake rattle on the sidewalk while the dog barked at it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nelson jr said:

There are coyotes living in most, maybe all, major city's.   They live there full time, don't leave, don't want to leave apparently.  Guy from Ohio state university did a study on the Chicago coyotes.  I talked to him about the results, was really surprised that they would tolerate being around humans that much but they do.  He weighed all of his, no 80 or 90 pound coyotes in Chicago either.

Coyotes are scavengers and won't hunt if there is something dead to eat. Think of all the trash/dumpsters in the city. Heaven to a coyote. A dead cow don't last long out here. Coyotes will reduce it to bones in no time at all. Buzzards do their share too. 

I saw a chopper tossing out bags of Rattlers here, but what really shook me was Bigfoot was flying the helicopter.  Later I heard bigfoots wife has a deal with the gov to sell them Rattlers.

• Thanks 1

Coyotes are very common in the cities in this area of Texas, My previous house was backed up on a golf course,  idiot neighbors were feeding a coyote because it was tame enough to almost eat out of their hands and attempted to pet it.  A course of rabies shots later was their reward.  Another time a neighbor had her lap dog on a leash going for a walk, yote ran up grabbed the dog and ran off with it leash and all. After those  incidents, FaG trapped 20 yotes from our housing area and golf course. 

On 8/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, Sledgehammer said:

It was like that with the reintroduction of bobcats here. (Lesser predator I know). If they technically don’t exist they aren’t illegal to shoot in Illinois. As in, if I see an elephant walk by I can shoot it because technically they don’t exist here. Once the DNR admits they are around things get touchy. I wouldn’t keep the remains around if one was to wander into the path of something between 80 and 180grains.  Dump it in the river since, after all, it is “the river corridor” and whoops.....darn thing must have drown.....

Over here they’ve been letting timber rattlers loose to mitigate the turkey population...seems there’s a better way than rattlesnakes 

22 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Over here they’ve been letting timber rattlers loose to mitigate the turkey population...seems there’s a better way than rattlesnakes 

What I don't understand what is the big deal about controlling the turkey population,in PA they seem to control themselves.Do they really  do much damage to their soundings to warrant something other then hunting.I can't see how they be a big threat to vehicles. That was the big thing here,deer were tearing up cars getting hit,insurance companies put the hurting on the state ,gave them some kind of ultimatum.In with the coyotes.They brought Fishers in to control porcupines,(which I see more of them now then ever) but they are a real killing machine.If ole porky is not around they are still hungry and kill whatever they can find.I don't know if it is Bobcats,occasional  Eastern Mountain lion ,Fishers or coyotes but the turkey broods are very small in my area.We also don't have near the red and grey foxes like we used to.

As I mentioned before, all states except Hawaii, have coyotes.  If every surrounding state to pa has coyotes, the rumor that ours had to be imported from Wisconsin makes no sense does it?

I have seen more turkeys around here this year than in recent history. I have yet to encounter any damage they’ve done. Walk through my corn and I’ll show you damage......wasn’t turkeys 🦃. We saw a coyote walk, er...saunter across the back yard a month or so ago and also lost a bunch of chickens a month before that. Fox population seems to have disappeared and we hear the coyotes yipping at night. No doubt they’re  on the rise.

Coyotes kill foxes. We used to call coyotes in with coyote/fox fight tapes years ago.  

Turkeys can do damage for sure if there are enough of them (like anything else).  I have seen 300 in one field in MO before.   Fox populations rise and fall as they get distemper and other diseases just like almost everything else (humans included). When man starts introducing things to “help” things generally swing wildly one direction or the other.

Seems to me that we need to leave things alone and let God upstairs take care of things but what do I know

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TomH said:

I have seen more turkeys around here this year than in recent history. I have yet to encounter any damage they’ve done. Walk through my corn and I’ll show you damage......wasn’t turkeys 🦃. We saw a coyote walk, er...saunter across the back yard a month or so ago and also lost a bunch of chickens a month before that. Fox population seems to have disappeared and we hear the coyotes yipping at night. No doubt they’re  on the rise.

once in a while we hear coyotes just after sunset and they sound very  close. maybe not the best thing to do but theres nothing behind us to the south for at least 2 miles so I just let one shot off in the air with my 12 gauge and we don't hear a peep for about 3 weeks, they say the have a territory that they travel so I figure they return in that time frame

a few years ago the wife saw 2 coyotes about 300 ft away at dusk to the south in December while we were feeding the cows . I went in to get a gun and they were gone so we leaned on the fence looking to the west for a few minutes and turned to go in the house and 2 coyotes were sitting 3 feet part about 150 feet from us just watching. it was too dark to shoot but it was creapy

21 minutes ago, nelson jr said:

As I mentioned before, all states except Hawaii, have coyotes.  If every surrounding state to pa has coyotes, the rumor that ours had to be imported from Wisconsin makes no sense does it?

not if pa's were imported before md jersey etc.whos to say the the surrounding states weren't all brought in also.There were never any coyotes back in the 70s 80s. Where did they all come from all of a sudden.You don't have to believe me but when that DCNR guy told me that the game commission was trading turkeys for coyotes and had turkey traps set up kinda put icing on the cake.

Why do you discount multiple reports from people all over the country about the underhanded doings of the game commissions,you work for them?

• Like 1

I did some checking on rattle snakes in Minn.  There is a small population of them in south eastern part of the state.  It is illegal to kill a rattler in Minn.  I have never seen one (don't live in that part of the state) but I think that would be one law I would not have a problem with breaking.   They have designated rescuers to come and save them (the snake that is)  if someone discovers one in their area and wants it out of there.  OH BOY.  

As has been said: NO ONE is releasing coyotes. They're smart animals that are just migrating looking for a place to live. They will scavenge first and take pets but I've never heard of them attacking a human. That said they could certainly take a toddler but no toddler should be unattended.

Coyotes love suburbia. Plenty of garbage, rabbits, and cats. They also love cities. plenty of garbage and pets and the occasional rat.  I've seen them in the field, once with a woodchuck (YAY!!) Unlike the tiny, fox-sized western coyote, eastern are certainly in the 50lb range. I've never been in a position to hear a western one howl but they do in all the old western movies. The eastern ones certainly do make a racket at my place sometimes.

I see no point in killing them unless you're loosing chickens but there's plenty of other things after them so better to secure the birds.

Here in Kansas coyotes are not that big of a threat to livestock other than poultry, they are opportunists and will eat a still born calf, lamb, etc. but live mostly on rats, mice, rabbits, turkey eggs & chicks, etc. Pic of four crossing my soybean field & one that made a nice mount in my "man cave". I do taxidermy when not farming.

4 winter coyotes.jpg

coyote with cottontail rabbit.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pete23 said:

I did some checking on rattle snakes in Minn.  There is a small population of them in south eastern part of the state.  It is illegal to kill a rattler in Minn.  I have never seen one (don't live in that part of the state) but I think that would be one law I would not have a problem with breaking.   They have designated rescuers to come and save them (the snake that is)  if someone discovers one in their area and wants it out of there.  OH BOY.  

Here at the natural gas exploration well sites they have a snake handler to remove the Rattlers. At my in-laws hunting club there was more than 100 removed one of the days I was told. I was told that it could have been multiple times with some of the snakes. I said that if I had to do it none of the removed ones would be able to make it back. 

Here’s some local talent around my place. Complete with rabbit decimation kit already installed....

CE6639AC-FECC-4060-BD0B-642C31754A35.jpeg

But WAIT!  If you order in the next 5 minutes we will send you not one, but TWO bobcats. 

Just pay separate shipping and handling charges. Not available in all areas. Some side effects may include no rabbits, no quail, no squirrels, constipation, diarrhea, insomnia, stinky gas, increased appetite, decreased appetite, or having naked babies...

F71EB59E-F6D2-4D80-A0ED-FBD8B7712904.jpeg

• Haha 4

The coyotes here howl, not as much as they yip but some nights you would say all howling. Since I can put my foot in the Pacific Ocean in a hour I think I am in the west. 

The first 1/2 of my life never heard or saw a coyote. The ground squirrels were controlled with 1080 poison bait. Took care of all stray dogs and coyotes. About 1980  the  save the planet from man crowd started getting power. Before 1990 no more 1080 no good control of ground squirrels. I have a pair of coyotes take a fawn down less than 200 yds from my front door.

I firmly believe with lots of easy to get food in 4 or 5 generations of coyotes would get larger. Another proven to a degree fact is the farther north animals live they tend to get bigger because the larger body mass takes longer to cool in the center and there is more muscle to consume when they cannot hunt so larger animal has little better chance. The same as desert animals will be smaller than the average of their kind after a few generations. 

Hay Sandhiller I have had one of those times as well. Gathering cows at first light in a brush country.Riding a ranch road that was powdered leaving nice clean hoof prints. Took most a hour to get to end of the country and come back with no cows. Very clear  cat tracks coming off the bank walking in the horse tracks 20 yards and going off the lower side.

Why do I discount multiple reports?  Because they're bull crap, that's  why.  Spread by guys who don't understand what they are talking about.

Have a good day, goodbye.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Coyotes kill foxes. We used to call coyotes in with coyote/fox fight tapes years ago.  

Turkeys can do damage for sure if there are enough of them (like anything else).  I have seen 300 in one field in MO before.   Fox populations rise and fall as they get distemper and other diseases just like almost everything else (humans included). When man starts introducing things to “help” things generally swing wildly one direction or the other.

Seems to me that we need to leave things alone and let God upstairs take care of things but what do I know

Whack a mole.jpg

• Haha 2

Funny story, I went out to check fall cows this morning. Seen this track by my school section gate. Been a little jumpy any way since the wolves were spotted. I called home and asked darling wife if she let my grey dog out at this gate while I was gone looking at goofy water towers in Kansas😄. She said yea Gus got out to go pee since she was taking too long getting the gate open. Whew, now this was fairly hard ground and if the same soft ground as in the pic of the wolf track, Gus's would have spread out to twice this size. All good, no word since so hopefully wolves moved on and I can quit being jumpy at my own dogs tracks😂🤣 Now common sense says this is not a wolf track but is sure as heck bigger than a coyote by a long ways😄

743056353_Gustrack.jpg.d2d4a36bb4ab087e3e4d3e970a61aae5.jpg

3 hours ago, bitty said:

Here at the natural gas exploration well sites they have a snake handler to remove the Rattlers. At my in-laws hunting club there was more than 100 removed one of the days I was told. I was told that it could have been multiple times with some of the snakes. I said that if I had to do it none of the removed ones would be able to make it back. 

Yes an if you kill one an they find out you’re done, you an your company will be kicked off. 

3 hours ago, bitty said:

What do you suppose the workmans comp schedule looks like for snake removers? Is it higher or lower than say...plumber?