TripleFangus

1066 Hydro

I will add I don't use it much. Occasionally I will use it for stopping but I have never used it to get moving. It has no feathering to engage the movement gently like a conventional clutch

1 hour ago, TripleFangus said:

Here you go Mark.  If you figure it out by looking at the pic you’ll be my hero!

444090A2-89D3-43CF-B755-6AFCC021E279.jpeg

A07AE610-0CF6-4A83-A35B-453A764713DA.jpeg

That is a beautiful tractor!

45 minutes ago, bitty said:

I will add I don't use it much. Occasionally I will use it for stopping but I have never used it to get moving. It has no feathering to engage the movement gently like a conventional clutch

I tend to agree.If that pedal never existed on both my row crops ,I would never miss it.I maybe over the years intentionaly used it,I know people think I am exaggerating,a dozen times if that.I couple times climbing on and off gear drives when I had a senior moment,have hit it and hated when I did.I don't like the feel of it and the sort of herky jerky of it. Maybe my two are different then others  but they both feel the same to me.The lever to me is so much smoother for everything from backing in to tight spaces,starting under load,etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TripleFangus said:

Here you go Mark.  If you figure it out by looking at the pic you’ll be my hero!

That sure is a beauty,too nice to lend out,at least in my area of hedge row trees just waiting to scratch it.

Thanks guys.  I was just trying to help a good friend out. He was getting ready to mow a 25ac pasture with a skid steer mounted 5’ bush hog, I felt bad so offered my tractor with a 10’.  His field is wide open and flat, figured what could he do to it.  Such is life.  He feels horrible but I told him something was on the trigger of breaking anyway if holding the brakes was all it took.  Out of town now for work till next weekend.  I’ll get around to checking it out when I get back. 

I noticed the newer combines don’t have a foot an inch pedal any more.

2 hours ago, TripleFangus said:

I have just been able to successfully diagnose the problem from the photograph.

It is plainly obvious that your beautiful 1066 Hydro wants and needs to come to my farm.

Send me your address and I will head out in the morning to pick it up!!

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I have just been able to successfully diagnose the problem from the photograph.

It is plainly obvious that your beautiful 1066 Hydro wants and needs to come to my farm.

Send me your address and I will head out in the morning to pick it up!!

Haha!!  Funny enough I was just contemplating selling the old gal the other day as I’m winding out of haymaking.  Perhaps this is its way of telling me it doesn’t want to leave.  I’ve got a new canopy for it that I haven’t got a chance to put on yet.  To me that will really set it off.  

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

I noticed the newer combines don’t have a foot an inch pedal any more.

I hate the jd 8820 without it. Shifting is a pain in the but. The hydros do last longer on them though. Our bidi is all lever also.

3 hours ago, TripleFangus said:

Very Nice tractor and worth it to fix it.

Our Massey 9870? windrower doesn't have a break pedal even. Only the hand hydro control it it 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Our Massey 9870? windrower doesn't have a break pedal even. Only the hand hydro control it it 

The versatile 400s didn’t either just the o crap handle. 

I can diagnose tractor also by picture obviously you need to rid yourself of such a problem I will be second in line to take 

• Haha 1

Did you find the problem?

If not I recommend you put a pressure guage in the foot and inch valve line and check the pressures. I have had two problems with my hydro 186. Once a relief valve hung open and a steel line to a relief valve cracked the other time.

Thx-Ace

7 hours ago, dale560 said:

The versatile 400s didn’t either just the o crap handle. 

The older 4000 IH's didnt either. Only the later style had a brake pedal, which I don't think has ever been used on ours

The hydro 100 is the only hydrostatic on the farm here with a foot n inch pedal

12 hours ago, TripleFangus said:

Agree completely.  I use the foot and inch for that same purpose when need be.  I also use it round baling with the 3488.  When I need to stop fairly quickly from 8ish mph to wrap the bale, I can’t believe pulling the speed control back to stop it is better for it than pushing in the pedal and using the brake, especially when there’s a 2000lbs silage bale in there and I’m going down hill.  Been running them that way for awhile.  Normally though yes, I just use the lever.  If the pedal was called the starting and emergency use only valve and the books directed it to be used as such I’d feel differently about it. 

I never touch the foot n inch pedal when I'm baling. Not saying it's right or wrong, just have never felt the need too. And I go 8 mph as well, but I dont slam the lever back to neutral. Although I dont know if that would hurt it. Look at other equipment with hydro drives. Skid steers for one are slammed between forward and reverse all day and seem to last alright. Even swathing or combining, cruising along then plug or hit a pile. I know I pull the lever back pretty quick lol

The pulling the lever back reminds me of when dad bought the CIH 4494. The guys at the local dealer said whatever you do, do NOT step on the clutch if you're in 2nd or 3rd power shift. Always pull the lever back to first then step on the clutch. According to them, you wont hurt anything other than your head on the window if you pull the lever back from 3rd to 1st really quick. But stepping on the clutch can cause damage, even though the lever gets pulled back by the clutch. And you'll almost go through the front window instead of hitting your head. I know, whole different tractor, but it just reminded me of it lol

7 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

nice coupe

Thank you.  Was my dads in the 60’s, sold it in early 70’s.  Found it torn apart in literally every piece it could be in about 15 years ago.  After taking me 10yrs to build it, his second first drive in it was to my wedding not long before he passed.  It’s all original ‘32 Ford steel, even the wood in it is original.  

• Like 2

Man, that’s a decent looking 10

I should have said my relief  valve line cracked, not the relief valve.

Did you get it fixed?

Thx-Ace

Not yet Ace.  I only had enough time to get it pulled in the shop before going out of town for work.  I get home this weekend.  My plan of attack is check pressures (been wanting to check them anyway), isolate the foot and inch, then open it to check the relief valves if I need to go that far.  

Thanks 

I'm sure you know but I have to ask. You did put the high\low gear selector in neutral before pulling it right? Major damage can occur if pulled while in gear. Not to worry though, if you did damage it severely there is a line of people on here that would still like to buy it from you. My self included.