IMG_20190816_122649010.thumb.jpg.2888829b53ba319d092d5160a4315fc3.jpg

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Saw these in Pratt Kansas, got a kick out of em😁

But why haven't they insulated the HOT?

Internal insulation......

"going solar" grant 💰 buys more than enough propane to keep it heated 😆🤔🧐😲

and how many jeenyisses believe it when they see it!!

My first thought was that the built a second for more capacity, when the town outgrew the first one. But they look the exact same, which leads me to believe they were built at the same time.... So why two water towers (other than "one for hot and one for cold, obviously)? Easier to build two smaller ones without special equipment, than one big one perhaps?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KWRB said:

and how many jeenyisses believe it when they see it!!

My first thought was that the built a second for more capacity, when the town outgrew the first one. But they look the exact same, which leads me to believe they were built at the same time.... So why two water towers (other than "one for hot and one for cold, obviously)? Easier to build two smaller ones without special equipment, than one big one perhaps?

The cold one looks bigger to me, but I've been known to be wrong once or thrice.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One could be for the towns water supply while the seemingly smaller one is fire protection for an in town industrial site  the labeling is likely photoshopped  

John 

4 minutes ago, Weapon said:

One could be for the towns water supply while the seemingly smaller one is fire protection for an in town industrial site  the labeling is likely photoshopped  

John 

He said he saw them. But......just in case I googled.....they’re real!  Labeling was put on in 1956. 😊

• Like 2

Cool hard to believe they’d have that much jocularity back in them days. 

John

• Haha 1

No system pressure gained between the two being combined.  Either one dedicated for fire protection and one for additional storage capacity for potable use (unlikely a small town would spend the $$ for two separate systems)?

My take is that is't a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weapon said:

John 

No that is the way they are.   Don't know if they still use them but they are labeled that way. Lots of towns added a second water tower as they grew or their wells gave them trouble 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

The cold one looks bigger to me, but I've been known to be wrong once or thrice.....

The one is bigger than the other

20 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Saw these in Pratt Kansas, got a kick out of em😁

Still like Wahoo Ne water tower the best. It is painted with an American Flag waving in the wind on it.  York Ne is second it is painted like a hot air balloon  

• Like 2

In Gatlinburg I worked on a foundation for a pedestal tank.   It was going to be painted to look like a bat and ball. 

• Like 1

Sorry  pigeon forge. Screenshot_20190817-084047_Maps.thumb.jpg.06531d415000aba19fbc160fe91ea44d.jpg

• Like 2

Saint Clair Missouri has a pair of water towers labeled 'hot & cold' but they serve the industrial park. I think they were built in the late 80's so they may have copied Pratt's design?

• Like 1

This one's just up the road from me.

Ketchup bottle water tower.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

This one's just up the road from me.

Ketchup bottle water tower.jpg

Been by that many times when I was a youngin,  isn't that in Edwardsville or Alton?

17 minutes ago, red211 said:

Been by that many times when I was a youngin,  isn't that in Edwardsville or Alton?

Collinsville.  You were real close.

In Hamburg, NY, there's a water tower that's indeed shaped liked a hamburger. There's been a grassroots movement for eons to paint it like a hamburger, but it hasn't happened. Shockingly, the group actually working on it is trying to pull it off without public money.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/24/mouth-watering-design-chosen-for-hamburg-water-tower/

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of North Dakota water towers. first one is our towns orange and black school colors. With panther mascot painted on. 2 original top on our water tower.3 garrison is on lake sakakawea and popular fishing. Others are towns around and the last ones are when they put new top on our water tower stem plus popular restaurant sign in townED2EB601-45A7-41EE-9CCC-65E094424499.thumb.png.16d79751bebc12967668c97442fa6725.png

1BE7B6DD-A114-42B7-9E98-2F69F0C25559.png

E3F3420D-CE5C-4763-8ACB-F2DB9E3E9C04.png

86FBEBA4-CF00-44B1-8DE4-E5B6B20D3A7B.png

AE01561D-FA6A-4A65-B733-FE343769952E.png

F376D409-05F0-4085-A5E7-E3B150AE524A.png

DFB94AC6-7A06-4111-883D-6B24F1AFB885.png

• Like 1