560Dennis

Going to look 👀 at a 674 ,❓What to look for

Help me with what to look for 🚜 674 model 

It along the road I have not stop to cause it would be for my sons farm of 60 acres till. He had to gave  me ok to stop , don’t want to waste the guys time . 

It got descent tires from road and has a brush 3 pt brush cutter , appeared to be clean or power washed clean can’t tell. I don’t know if gas or diesel cause it was partial tarp, did see alternator. 

Those things have always been extremely popular around here. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Check the brakes, one at a time and both together also check with engine off, press and hold one at a time to see if they bleed down.
Check parking brake but probably doesn't hold as almost all the 54/74/84 tractors have been driven by someone that forgot to take the parking brake OFF and have stripped the parking brake band in the range transmission.  On the 95 series CIH put a flashing warning light for the parking brake that was more noticeable. 

Our 674 has been great. Our steering linkages have all worn, but just due to normal use I'd say. Ours is diesel and has been a good utility tractor.  Love the wood grain dashes on these tractors.

1 hour ago, jimb2 said:

Check the brakes, one at a time and both together also check with engine off, press and hold one at a time to see if they bleed down.
Check parking brake but probably doesn't hold as almost all the 54/74/84 tractors have been driven by someone that forgot to take the parking brake OFF and have stripped the parking brake band in the range transmission.  On the 95 series CIH put a flashing warning light for the parking brake that was more noticeable. 

My hydro 84 has a parking brake  warning light on the dash also

17 hours ago, IH Blood 1206 said:

Our 674 has been great. Our steering linkages have all worn, but just due to normal use I'd say. Ours is diesel and has been a good utility tractor.  Love the wood grain dashes on these tractors.

Would love to find a good woodgrain dash. They are NLA

I did notice looking at tractor 🚜 data the diesel has a 5 inches stroke , wow 😮 that a torquer 👀👍🏿

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

My hydro 84 has a parking brake  warning light on the dash also

As does my 684, a warning light you can’t see in daylight and an alarm you can’t hear with the engine running.😔

2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

I did notice looking at tractor 🚜 data the diesel has a 5 inches stroke , wow 😮 that a torquer 👀👍🏿

They do seem to have more grunt than their hp rating would suggest. 

‘If it’s a diesel, starting it with the “stop,start,run” lever in start it should fire right up. That position allows extra fuel to be injected, you will most likely get a bit of blue smoke but it should clear up as the engine warms.

Gentlemen bought new in 1973 , got 2750 hrs . Come with two mowers . 

Store inside . Mowed 100 acre gun range. 

Only that concerns me is the oil leak coming from the head gasket area cylinder one  ,see photo 

8BBC14B4-2C96-4140-9316-503939EF87A2.jpeg

7E6D182B-5FCB-46E8-BE87-947C03F6DE06.jpeg

0E3E0B39-99E8-4A7A-BCBE-763252969CF4.jpeg

890FD0AC-2F96-4DE3-A2C9-BBF332E69FE1.jpeg

B3F7AE2A-84DF-4AF0-BE71-EAAB069002EC.jpeg

4ADAECE9-DA62-492D-B9C3-5CEB0BB6C43B.jpeg

1C9EDC32-4D7E-4BAC-A9E5-C0F5BE392F42.jpeg

35AE8DD7-C7DC-40F5-8A9C-FFE002E3E8C4.jpeg

DA810382-75C2-4DBF-B32E-E8192F83EBD3.jpeg

5971A02E-82F6-4CE3-8611-5789DD31FF3F.jpeg

42AF76DB-5D23-43E8-B205-CDFA219053DE.jpeg

F1DC5AC0-D5AF-44E6-A7EF-0FB888819547.jpeg

7A2280D1-CB57-44B9-9585-D31FDA69C3FF.jpeg

Hi that 674 looks in real good shape, also looks like a late model just before 684.
We had an early model 674 that still had generator then traded for 684 with T/A.
The hour meter was difficult to read so how many hours?
That "oil" maybe Diesel slobber leaking from exhaust manifold, my brother's 684 has same "oil' marks.
Those German Diesel do not like puttering around they like to work and work hard.
The puttering around causes the Diesel slobbering.

The other thing I forget to tell you to check is pull the crankcase dipstick and smell the oil for Diesel fuel smell as the front drive shaft seal on those Bosch fuel pumps can leak because of todays low sulphur Diesel fuel dose not have the same lubricity as the Diesel fuel when this tractor was designed. Add some 2 cycle engine oil to fuel tank every time you fill up.

21 minutes ago, jimb2 said:

Hi that 674 looks in real good shape, also looks like a late model just before 684.
We had an early model 674 that still had generator then traded for 684 with T/A.
That "oil" maybe Diesel slobber leaking from exhaust manifold, my brother's 684 has same "oil' marks.
Those German Diesel do not like puttering around they like to work and work hard.

The other thing I forget to tell you to check is pull the crankcase dipstick and smell the oil for Diesel fuel smell as the front drive shaft seal on those Bosch fuel pumps can leak because of todays low sulphur Diesel fuel dose not have the same lubricity as the Diesel fuel when this tractor was designed. Add some 2 cycle engine oil to fuel tank every time you fill up.

2750 hours , I never believed it , but in this case the old gentlemen bought it new and I know the dealer he got it from so! 2750 is right I think

I seem to remember an oil passage in head gasket at that corner that could be a problem. That do look like exhaust though.

Looks good, how much, where are you and  I will come buy it,had 574D,loved it, pulled like no tommorrow

2 hours ago, snoshoe said:

I seem to remember an oil passage in head gasket at that corner that could be a problem. That do look like exhaust though.

The German engines have a habit of "wet stacking" unburnt diesel mixing with exhaust soot making it look like oil. Run that thing like a rented mule for a couple hours and it will clear up. putt around doing light work an it will be back.

To help this run a hotter thermostat to keep cylinder temperatures higher along with making sure your injectors are good maybe even set open pressure a couple % over spec for better fuel air mixture. 

That looks really good to me, those brake pedals don't look like they were used much.  Is the clutch pedal as nice?

The guy wants 10 5 for tractor and two mowers this behemoth fmc brush mower and a grass mower , 

20AA1C81-9B9C-47F9-9626-39FDEA009644.jpeg

10C8E1A7-9154-460A-86AF-64D18401C6D0.jpeg

16 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That looks really good to me, those brake pedals don't look like they were used much.  Is the clutch pedal as nice?

That an excellent tip about the pedals ,thanks all the evidence that the hour meter is right , good eye tp 

the right pedal goes down about an inch further than the left so he was mowing the 100 acre with a right turn all these years .

On 8/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, jimb2 said:

I was thinking it was an older model because of hydro lever , mine comes up a lot farther. Nothing wrong with it either way don’t tell it it’s a little tractor they are very strong for there size.

Complete with snort gas and a differential lock! Brake pedal height is probably adjustable.

Ya looks like exhaust slobber to me as well. Nice lookin tractor!