Sign in to follow this  
Allredallday

C.H. Wendel Passing

Mr. Wendell passed away on Monday, August 12 2019 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at age 80. He was the author of so many books on farm equipment manufacturers and other vintage industrial equipment such as steam locomotives, and sawmills.

www.chwendel.com

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Sad  news for sure, but I can't honestly say that I knew he was still with us. He compiled an amazing amount of data in his books. They are a great resource for the collector. Sorry to hear of his passing. 

• Sad 1

Sad day, Rip

• Sad 1

So much knowledge. I learned a lot from his books. Still use them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've got a few of his books.  I've enjoyed them.  Sad to hear.  RIP.

Chuck was my Facebook friend and always enjoyed his intimate knowledge of farm equipment. I have several of his books and use them for reference frequently. It's always sad when an old timer passes away. It can be just like a library burning to the ground. Rest in Peace, Sir.

• Like 1

"Just like a library burning to the ground".... what an eloquent way to state what is such a truth in life. No matter how much we try to soak in from those older and wiser than us, there is still so much lost when they pass. I have several books by Mr. Wendel, as well, I can only imagine how many hundreds of times I leafed through the pages of "150 Years of International Harvester" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I figured he was dead years ago until Dr Evil on here mentioned he wasn't as old as I thought he was and was still alive..................I still marvel that he was only 80.  

I have a few of his books, can't begin to count how many times I've looked at "150 years of IH".

I would have thought he was older than 80, like maybe 120... His books have been around a long time!   RIP.

Love his books, at least that walking library wrote his info down, I sure wish a lot of the old boys that I have known would have wrote down what they knew,  mostly because I can't remember everything they told me!

• Like 1

I went to Amazon to look up Wendel's work.  Wow!  What a legacy left behind in print alone.

• Like 1

Very sad indeed!  I have many of his books and am just as amazed as the rest how much knowledge he had on the old equipment manufacturers.

He was probably one of the best farm equipment authors in terms of having access to data and compiling it.   One entire shelf on my bookshelf is dedicated to the big hardback books he published .  Met him a few times over the years at Old Threshers when I was a teenager.  Very interesting to talk to, and he was more than willing to share his knowledge with a young guy.