MTO

Shingles vs steel

I was quoted for a 40'x70' metal roof $3500.00  delivered with screws etc..   You would still need 1x4" lumber and felt roofing material plus labor to install.  I got a quote from Mueller Roofing Inc.  (505) 832-5074   https://www.muellerinc.com/roofing.  I am done with shingles blowing off..

One bad hailstorm and asphalt shingles are junk, especially if they were elcheapo. 

I prefer shingles. 

Built a new house two years ago and installed standing rib steel. Wife and I both agreed on steel she picked the color. Was more money than shingles but longevity was primary goal. Should last 40-50 years or longer but will more interested how much it fade. Had two bids same brand material but $6500. difference in quotes. Amish bid was highest.  Guy that installed it did a excellent job. 

20190815_162352.jpg

• Like 10

Just now, larv71 said:

Built a new house two years ago and installed standing rib steel. Wife and I both agreed on steel she picked the color. Was more money than shingles but longevity was primary goal. Should last 40-50 years or longer but will more interested how much it fade. Had two bids same brand material but $6500. difference in quotes. Amish bid was highest.  Guy that installed it did a excellent job. 

20190815_162352.jpg

That is beautiful.

• Like 2

Put standing seam no exposed fasteners metal roof on my house 7 years ago. Was half again more than asphalt shingles. Also twice the life expectancy. IMHO was best money spent on house. Last longer than me I hope. Not noisy either because it’s on plywood sheathing 

Most of my roofs are now approaching 25 years. The shingles are,,,,,25 year shingles! Still a few years left but not many. Had the house stripped and done; barn went over 2 layers so has way too much weight on it. Barn will have to be stripped next time; can go over house.

I priced standing seam with a strip on the barn and was floored by the price so it's probably getting asphalt again. 25 years will be more than enough.

Shop is the same brand but only about 10 years old. I've lost some in storms and learned to glue the replacements down as they won't tack down on their own in the winter.

I do like the look of a standing seam roof over shingles.

Pole barn or shed roof material with exposed screws doesn't belong on a house.

2 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Most of my roofs are now approaching 25 years. The shingles are,,,,,25 year shingles! Still a few years left but not many. Had the house stripped and done; barn went over 2 layers so has way too much weight on it. Barn will have to be stripped next time; can go over house.

I priced standing seam with a strip on the barn and was floored by the price so it's probably getting asphalt again. 25 years will be more than enough.

Shop is the same brand but only about 10 years old. I've lost some in storms and learned to glue the replacements down as they won't tack down on their own in the winter.

I do like the look of a standing seam roof over shingles.

Pole barn or shed roof material with exposed screws doesn't belong on a house.

The truss glue only lasts 25 years on a 40 year roof truss also. So everything is relative.

The problem with steel will dent in a light hailstorm where better shingles will take some abuse. Dented tin still works but it always happens where the dents are most noticeable 

25 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The truss glue only lasts

All 19th century stuff here so no worries😉

Just now, New Englander said:

All 19th century stuff here so no worries😉

Dad has 2 pole buildings he built here in 1975 76. Great Plains was a coop lumber store chain and they built their own trusses. He has trusses in both buildings that have failed at the joint but they are 40 some years old now and company has been gone for 20 years

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

built here in 1975 76

Bummer about the glue. Do they fail catastrophically? What's the fix?

Post and beam in the 1800s, heck, lots of trunells  or tree nails. Roof rafters are 24', which is what most sawmill carriages could run. Exception is some beams that are 30'. When I did some rebuilding a couple of hears ago I got a guy to run a 30' 6X8 so that I could duplicate the original. He somehow does it with a Wood-mizer. The hard part is getting someone to bring in a 30' log! Handling that thing while still wet was tough.

I love the rough cut he does with the band saw mill. His 1X12s are so true that when I find one that's clear or nearly so I run it through the planner and get almost 5/4 finish lumber. Close enough that you can't tell.

30' on a Woodmizer isn't hard. Here's a 52' 12x12:

IMG_20151028_095845439.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Bummer about the glue. Do they fail catastrophically? What's the fix?

Post and beam in the 1800s, heck, lots of trunells  or tree nails. Roof rafters are 24', which is what most sawmill carriages could run. Exception is some beams that are 30'. When I did some rebuilding a couple of hears ago I got a guy to run a 30' 6X8 so that I could duplicate the original. He somehow does it with a Wood-mizer. The hard part is getting someone to bring in a 30' log! Handling that thing while still wet was tough.

I love the rough cut he does with the band saw mill. His 1X12s are so true that when I find one that's clear or nearly so I run it through the planner and get almost 5/4 finish lumber. Close enough that you can't tell.

We caught them in time. From moisture and snow load the bottom chords pull apart after glue loosens. We screwed 2x8 over the joints. 

Idk if your talking about 5 rib screw down type steel or standing seam. I LOVE standing seam, If you look at a shingle roof and you look at a standing seam roof the places for a leak are exponentially less on a standing seam roof. If you think about it even soggy snow the majority of the moisture will be below the seams if the snow backs up, which is unlikely it has nowhere to go but into the low point in the pans which have no fasteners penetrating them. So you’re roof penetrations are limited to vent stacks , chimneys etc. not 10,000 screws or 10,000 nails and your not dealing with the inherent issues of shingles which have no choice but to leak if you get an ice dam. The other benefit is that it’s nearly a lifetime roof, I understand that means more to some than others, but for me, a 30 year roof means I’m looking at doing it again at an age I’d rather not be doing one but am too young to say I’m too old. 

Thats my .02

4 hours ago, larv71 said:

20190815_162352.jpg

I've got that exact steel on my roof color and all. Shingle roof got hailed out and I was able to replace the roof with steel and pocketed a few dollars to boot doing the work myself.

Shingles are nice, but they drive you crazy in this region.

The top 5 windiest states are: Nebraska (1), Kansas (2), South Dakota (3), North Dakota (4), and Iowa (5). 

......well, I am certainly over   shingles......no, they didn't last long either,  but certainly made their presence  felt.......couldn't  sit in the excavator seat even.....!!

On a more serious  note.....we have just reroofed  the 114 year old   house on our place........with colour   steel.....Most all rural buildings in New Zealand would be roofed with corrugated iron, traditionally.......The colour steel roof is more expensive than the plain ..."zincalume ''....

As a matter of interest, the original , British  made roofing iron on the old house......still held it's original finish...in places......but 100 plus years of five feet plus of rain a year..plus the other vagaries of mother nature.......it had started to leak in places....

Mike

received_10156090090357448.jpeg

1 minute ago, mike_newman said:

......well, I am certainly over   shingles......no, they didn't last long either,  but certainly made their presence  felt.......couldn't  sit in the excavator seat even.....!!

On a more serious  note.....we have just reroofed  the 114 year old   house on our place........with colour   steel.....Most all rural buildings in New Zealand would be roofed with corrugated iron, traditionally.......The colour steel roof is more expensive than the plain ..."zincalume ''....

As a matter of interest, the original , British  made roofing iron on the old house......still held it's original finish...in places......but 100 plus years of five feet plus of rain a year..plus the other vagaries of mother nature.......it had started to leak in places....

Mike

received_10156090090357448.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your troubles...Down Under...

sorry, I couldn’t resist. 

I had a mild case a couple years ago, my wife spotted it immediately and I was treated the day after it appeared, I was lucky. Good luck with that, mine was down the side of my hip and leg. 

Worth noting:

Steel roofing comes in different gauge thickness and rib configurations.  Pay close attention to both gauge and rib design when getting quotes.

DD

We had to out new roof on in 1995 because of hail, bought the best 3n1 lock asphalt shingles available,  35 yr guarantee. Had to have the roof redone in 2000 because of hail, went with the same shingles with 35 yr guarantee.  In 2015 developed several bad leaks, ruined a couple ceilings. Company that made the shingles was out of business so warranty wasn't any better than toilet paper. I wanted to go steel, wife said fine but didn't want a " barn roof ". We found a company that made custom steel roofing in various styles. Our house was built in 1904 & originally had a shake roof. Company made roof panels that simulated  shake roofing so that's what we went with. House is 1 1/2 story, bedrooms are upstairs, so ceilings are on underside of the rafters. They put down a heavy covering over original roof, screwed wx2s to roof, then screwed the roof panels , 2'x4' to the w ws. Screws are hidden. I'm a light sleeper, takes a pretty hard rain to know it's raining. 

I have no idea how the price compared to regular shingles, had my fill with asphalt shingles so didn't bother to price. Have had a couple hail storm & wind storms since putting on the steel roof . On storm tore up the asphalt shingles on one of the garages but we couldn't find any damage on the steel roofing.  Have had several people stop and inquire where we purchased  our roof. Local church used the same company & same style of roofing after looking at ours. They had been pricing  a"barn style" steel roof but had several older members against it , but liked our roof. 

Sorry, don't  have any pics in my tablet,  maybe will upload some tomorrow . Momma's happy so that's the main thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MTO said:

Duh! The granule side goes up Pete...

Just shingles or does that apply to everything?

On 8/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, larv71 said:

20190815_162352.jpg

Didn't get any snow guards and soon regretted it. The contractor didn't promote them as necessary, but anyone who has seen enough steel roofs knows there's a reason for them.

Anyone who hasn't, get the vaccination; free for me under my insurance just like the flu shot.