MTO

Shingles vs steel

I like the look of shingles on a house hands down.

I think shingles give a better finished product.

I`m sure steel is quicker/cheaper/less labor but to me, steel on a house looks tacky.

Seems everyone here is going to steel on a re-roof.

But I see not ONE new house with steel. 

That in itself says something for shingles.

Church beside my shop re-roofed a few years back.

They used sky blue steel. YUK!

But I guess it`s all about cheap...

I put a steel shingle on my house after 3 wind problems in 5 years.  Decra shingles is what I used and you have to really look to tell the difference.

I priced both when we had our house redone......may 8 or 10 years ago. Im thinking at that time steel was several thousand more....

Asphalt is far cheaper than steel.

Steel is usually put on high hail or wind areas where people get tires of re-shingling.

I looked into it, and was not ready to pay the price for the steel.

7 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Steel is usually put on high hail or wind areas where people get tires of re-shingling.

Also in areas with risk of wild fires

When we built our house contractor used menards shingles to match pre existing garage. Was not impressed with their life span so was thinking about steel, hoping for longer life. Ended up going better quality shingle and was still cheaper than steel at that time.

Go w/ slate.  It will last you 100+ years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

LOT OF WEIGHT..MAKE SURE RAFTERS AND ETC IS IN GOOD SHAPE AND BUILT TO HOLD EXTRA WEIGHT..

We redid the church roof 15 years ago with steel. Extremely steep, HIGH wind area, it is what was suggested by most contractors. Shingles in this area from previous years are all locking ones that (try to) resist blowing off 

Architectural steel shingles are hard to tell from regular ones. More pricey but will last 50 years with the quality steel ones. MTO you are probably talking about people roofing with pole shed steel that is definitely tacky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exposed fasteners are ugly and holds the snow on the roof

the hidden fasteners are much better and clears snow in the winter time so Mike doesn't have to get up there and shovel .

Mike 

• Like 1

We have gone steel on everything. Houses, barns. Everything. Its quicker laying. 

Another thing at least around here. Nobody can make shingles last worth a damn anymore. With our weather if you can make a shingle roof last 10 years, consider yourself lucky. You probably won't make 12. We got tired of playing the little Dutch Boy trying to keep shingles on everything. And we have a bunch of buildings. We have steel roofs on stuff that already outlived the longest shingle. The only things left on all the farmsteads that still have a shingle roof is my Grandparents house which is empty, the old dairy barn. And a old milkhouse at my place. Im going to put steel on the milkhouse later this month. The shingles were damaged by hail in June. The other 2 buildings are on borrowed time so we aren't bothering with them.  

Another thing we like is the steel sheds the snow with the slightest warmup. It will all slide off.

As far as beauty. I don't care what it looks like as long as it stays dry. If it lasts longer than these damn shingles anymore. Im good. I hate stripping shingles and my foot injury a couple years ago has made trying to stick to steep pict roofs unpleasant for me. I can climb silos, bins, ladders fine as long as i have a rung under that foot. Inclines on a roof are difficult for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Architectural steel shingles are hard to tell from regular ones. More pricey but will last 50 years with the quality steel ones. MTO you are probably talking about people roofing with pole shed steel that is definitely tacky.

Yep. Everyone brings in the dutchies and they slap down the pole bldg steel. 

We`re having our church re-shingled next week.

Only one roofing contractor replied to give us an estimate out of 4 called.

He talked us OUT of putting steel on.

Good quality shingles are available (30 yr) but they aren`t cheap.

Shingles are on new houses for one reason. Cheap. Last new one I built got steel. I build myself a new house its getting steel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exSW said:

Shingles are on new houses for one reason. Cheap. Last new one I built got steel. I build myself a new house its getting steel.

Neighbor of shop bought a new house with steel.

Only new house I`ve ever seen. Built by a local contractor.

2 yrs later, he had it taken off and shingled.

Said he hated the looks and the noise.

To each his own.

Dunno what grade of shingle he used but it made a huge improvement in the looks imo.

5 minutes ago, exSW said:

You have plenty of other things to get done first.

Get movin...

7 hours ago, MTO said:

Neighbor of shop bought a new house with steel.

Only new house I`ve ever seen. Built by a local contractor.

2 yrs later, he had it taken off and shingled.

Said he hated the looks and the noise.

To each his own.

Dunno what grade of shingle he used but it made a huge improvement in the looks imo.

I grew up in a house w/ a steel roof.  LOVED the noise sound of the falling rain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atilathehun99 said:

I grew up in a house w/ a steel roof.  LOVED the noise of the falling rain.

yeah... and we see what those noises did to you Tila....:ph34r:

I tried the best 30 year shingle I could get when I built my house and they wouldn't last.  I have up and love my steel shingles.  I smiled the first windstorm we had and nothing moved, had a hail storm that ruined dad's roof and the adjuster crawled up on mine and couldn't find a dent, I replaced allot of siding.

2 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I tried the best 30 year shingle I could get when I built my house and they wouldn't last.  I have up and love my steel shingles.  I smiled the first windstorm we had and nothing moved, had a hail storm that ruined dad's roof and the adjuster crawled up on mine and couldn't find a dent, I replaced allot of siding.

Duh! The granule side goes up Pete...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MTO said:

yeah... and we see what those noises did to you Tila....:ph34r:

No it wasn't the raindrops that made me half deef.  It was the pile hammer, D-6, Cat 235, jackhammer, shotgun blowin up when I pulled the trigger, drilling rigs,........etc, sometimes using cig butts for hearing protection.  

1 hour ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Hopefully house is framed heavy enough for the extra load! A home owner here did that and had some fly by night outfit install slate on a stick framed roof. They almost lost the house due to it

• Sad 1

Personally I think shingles are kinda ugly I like the cleen lines and look of steel...even tough rib looks better.

Side bar my metal roof was hailed( golf balls )out not even at 6 months old 6 years later it's still there...  And 10, 20 and beyond I'll still have the same metal roof. Just gotta use the larger screws...sleep better in dry season with less fire chance,

Takes a heck,of a hailstorm to make a metal roof leak.

Guys around here sell used metal for a third of the value of new...you pay to get rid of used shingles.

Even if I had to buy it my house gets all steel roof and siding.

I have pole building metal roofing.....on my pole buildings. Agree on how it does not look great on the house especially around the dormer windows and in the valleys.

I prefer architectural shingles or the standing seam metal roofing shown here. Looks better with two rows of snow stops.

https://www.abmartin.net/metal-roofing-panels/abseam

Sure standing seam looks nicer. But whats the cost difference. Ill bet over double. 

• Like 1