Was looking into replacing the UD554 in my old TD15-151.   Does anyone know if there is a good direct fit newer style replacement?  Thanks 

Don’t have a spare machine    But I do have a 90 ford with the old 7.3 Idi I would like to adapt into the machine.  Since my funds are very limited, and I hate to see that old engine not being utilized, I have since come up with the idea of going this route.  I know it will require an adapter but don’t know what else it would all entail.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you

i know the 7.3 is  good truck

engine . not so sure it will have

the grunt the 554 has (or had)

best of luck keep us updated

The 7.3 could do it. But you're looking at a re-cam to produce max torque as that TD-15 isn't going to see the Highway. Cam design maybe something you want to talk with somebody like the guys out of Bullet in Olive Branch MS, which is right near Memphis TN.

The adapter process is going to be a "female dog" pardon my french. You need to consider where the starter is, and how you're going to build your adapter plate(recommend you make your template dead nuts accurate and go for an EDM shop to cut it out of aluminum). Plate thickness goes to spacing some other bits.

Once you've looked at those factors you may want to take the 7.3 down and get as much compression as possible out of it, get your cam to produce peak power the way the 554 had.

I've made 4wd where there was none. I stuck Detroit diesel powerplants in places they were never meant to go, took an air cooled Deutz genset engine and put it a Lanz-Deere that was over here, there is an Allis dozer made god knows where running around with a Deere street sweeper turbo diesel. Put a Ford 201 into a Long orchard crawler after he got tired of UTB engines overheating and lunching.

If it wasn't originally there, just be prepared- **** can split wide open on you and it isn't fun.

If you have more questions, let us know. I think I've wore out my welcome on the forum but maybe I can help answer some things.

Thank you for the reply.  After looking into it some more, there are some other things that would have to be modified also that makes it not worthwhile.   I appreciate the very knowledgeable input!!

4 hours ago, Eric74 said:

Thank you for the reply.  After looking into it some more, there are some other things that would have to be modified also that makes it not worthwhile.   I appreciate the very knowledgeable input!!

Bellhousing not play nice with the starter ? Clutch pack issues ?

I did not think about a TD-15 that late being power shift or partial powershift- taking a machine that has a torque converter and using a modern engine can  be a nightmare.

I'm looking at an old Hough that had RD gasser installed in place of the diesel. I don't trust the Red Diamond(can't get it to run)- and I know it needs an engine swap. No one on forum has had any suggestions. It may just be me. Online forums are weird thing, some people just don't fit in.

ERIC: Found a complete TD-18 with I believe your engine in it. Engine ran when parked, used in a chicken house since new. I can go through text mssgs and see if I've got his info.

His is a cable lift machine.

This was from a few months ago: these are cut/paste notepad notes I took and have adapted.

Motor has good compression, it needs the gas tank dunked in acid, and then sealed with something like ZeroRust inside and out. That or a marine paint with the old HVOC content. Get a good respirator or a fresh air system, and apply the marine paint inside and out. Make sure you have removed petcock and masked the threads. Only use enough for coverage. Let sit in sun for 48 hours. Dedicated oven- bake low temp for 30-35 minutes (200 degrees or so). Find carb and petcock or rebuild. Run a dedicated tank of diesel and for gasoline. Valve to open/close for gasoline NOT STUCK. Maybe take and do a straight diesel start first with ether ? Traditional method 1st ?

I don't think a TD 18 engine would just bolt up ether. A good friend has both a 15 and a 18,at a glance it looked the same so I asked. He said things are a close copy but just a little bigger on the 18. So measure closely before putting out any money.

Not looking to start a fight but a old 50's Cat D6 9u serial number is the same size and has a whole lot of parts available new from Cat,as well as after market parts.Out here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts (Calif) all the tracked tractors were used to farm with so a lot of bear ones (no blade) are getting real cheap. I think the blade off the TD15 would be easier to put on a 9u D6 than graft a different engine into the 15. But I don't know if there is a crawler within 500 mile of your location without a blade.

Thank y’all for all the very informative input!!  I live in central Ky and don’t have a lot of knowledge on this machine.  Bought a couple of years ago and just now getting around to messing with it.   Didn’t seem to have the power it should have.     Will try and get it back going and update later.  Might be a while though.   Thanks again 

18 hours ago, ray54 said:

I don't think a TD 18 engine would just bolt up ether. A good friend has both a 15 and a 18,at a glance it looked the same so I asked. He said things are a close copy but just a little bigger on the 18. So measure closely before putting out any money.

Not looking to start a fight but a old 50's Cat D6 9u serial number is the same size and has a whole lot of parts available new from Cat,as well as after market parts.Out here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts (Calif) all the tracked tractors were used to farm with so a lot of bear ones (no blade) are getting real cheap. I think the blade off the TD15 would be easier to put on a 9u D6 than graft a different engine into the 15. But I don't know if there is a crawler within 500 mile of your location without a blade.

People crushed them KY, TN, VA, GA, NC, SC, GA and ESPECIALLY Florida

The orchard ones went first- no blade, no loader, on the loboy it went. I literally remember 2004, spec-house boom was going on, and I followed a guy with a 900ci International Loadstar with airbrakes into a junkyard- he had a loboy behind(like mine that got stolen- hidden wheels- ie the bed covered over them- DOT stopped that though with a word to Hudson) and he had two ag crawlers.

One was a TD-6, one was a TD-5. They were red, and the sun burnt them more brown. I told him that if he weighed it and got a quote, I'd give him $250 over quote and $250 to drive it 18 miles home, I'd pull it off.

GUY GOT STEAMING MAD- not the junkyard man- THE GUY JUNKING THE TRACTORS. "Our peach trees, and muscadines and our freedonia grapes died out years ago and when was you then ?  You bleepity bleep bleep."

He sold the dump truck, loboy, and both the crawlers and he GROSSED $2000. Then he signed the note of acceptance- the contract- and it was the property of the junkyard, except for one thing. Every machine had gear oil or hydraulic fluid or diesel (TD6 I swear was gas to diesel) and anti-freeze. AND TIRES. JY docked him for all that.  He mighta got out of there with $1700.

Guy was pushing 50, and he had to call his dad for a ride- he'd just sold a running dumptruck he drove in with. 70 year old man showed up, he explained to Scrappys that the truck, equipment, and, and lowboy were not his son's property and he had paperwork back in Robbinsville. NC law didn't require as much paperwork back then as scrap had yet to reach it's maximum. Scrappy's said it was between father and son.

Scrappy's had a pretty good idea that with this transaction and me a witness h#ll would follow forth... So that night they took the two big Deere trackhoes and ripped it all to shreds. Unhooked a full container load, put the load of stuff from Robbinsville and they topped it off with stuff out of the full container, left out at 6am. Sheriff from two county's come in at 8am and the old man with his paperwork. Scrappys had destroyed the transaction receipts and the son had hidden the check.

The owner of Scrappys- Jake- was crooked though,  he figured the son would wait to cash the check until the heat died down. Jake cancelled the check and pocketed it all.

For both locations, Scrappys had, they were near creeks and they were on bare soil. Every imaginable chemical went into the creeks and the ground. NC would do nothing. Soil and Water Conservation has made my life a nightmare with this logging project, checking my berms, looking for evidence of red clay in the creek- but SWC never said a word to Scrappys.

3rd richest man in the county is the mortician. Jake- who "owns" Scrappy's- married the mortician's youngest daughter- a girl so dumb that when she leaves the room, the collective iq rises. In the mean time, the mortician paid for Jake to become a "certified arborist". The timber companies found out he was skimming doing their buying and fired him. He went into tree service. That failed. Mortician bought him the junkyward. That's largely failed. People keep dying and they go to their "home town" mortician- so money keeps coming in. They sell caskets you could could buy a diesel ton truck for the same $$$$.

Its like me an TD-6-62's.  I cant handle taking trips to Ohio or Pennsylvania to get a parts machine. That's they only place they weren't crushed.

I'm learning watching here. The knowledge base of real IH's is so very small and so many old timers are going- that there are many questions can't be answered. Many parts can't be had.

I won't crush my TD-6-62. Breaks my heart the LH final drive and steering clutch pack is in the condition it's in, and I can't get parts.

I guess I need to re-evaluate and see what the $20k I was going to spend on a used 4x4 tractor- and see what I can get a Komatsu D31 trackloader with.

Definitely hate to see good old equipment meet that fate.    A lot of the stuff built nowadays won’t last 1/2 as long as stuff that was built back then!