YankeeJustin

Original Cub Cadet Rear PTO

Looking into install a rear PTO onto my Original Cub Cadet. Anyone know the specs on the upper main input shaft. (this is the replacement shaft for the PTO to work). Looking to get one fabricated. Thank you for your help.

How do you intend to fabricate a shaft?  They're hardened.  Guess it wouldn't matter if it was, not like you're going to use it. 

I don't have specs because the shaft for an original is different than any other Cub Cadet, but it's the same except it has splines on the rear to drive the rear shaft.  FWIW, you could buy a shaft for a F-Cub and cut and machine the front off to work in your Original.  Might be just as cheap and easy. I have a couple top shafts for a rear PTO for the later tractors.  You're better off just buying one.  They sell on ebay from time to time. 

10 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

How do you intend to fabricate a shaft?  They're hardened.  Guess it wouldn't matter if it was, not like you're going to use it. 

I don't have specs because the shaft for an original is different than any other Cub Cadet, but it's the same except it has splines on the rear to drive the rear shaft.  FWIW, you could buy a shaft for a F-Cub and cut and machine the front off to work in your Original.  Might be just as cheap and easy. I have a couple top shafts for a rear PTO for the later tractors.  You're better off just buying one.  They sell on ebay from time to time. 

Thanks for your reply.  Guess, I wasn’t clear enough in my first post.  When I said “specs” I was hoping to find out LENGTH and SPLINE count.  I’ve heard it is about 3/4 shorter than the later models.  Well, about doesn’t work for me. 

I’ll do some more digging on this issue.

The top shaft for an O for a PTO is completely different than any other Cub Cadet.  If all you need is spline count, then count the splines on the coupler for the rear PTO.  Install it on the trans and you'll know how long you need the splines to be.  If you don't know what I mean, you probably don't need to be fooling with it. 

5 hours ago, J-Mech said:

The top shaft for an O for a PTO is completely different than any other Cub Cadet.  If all you need is spline count, then count the splines on the coupler for the rear PTO.  Install it on the trans and you'll know how long you need the splines to be.  If you don't know what I mean, you probably don't need to be fooling with it. 

Yes sir, I do understand. And your above statement about the top shaft being different than all the others, already knew that. (Read second post).  

All I was wanting to know, without me physically tearing into my O, a simple length and/or spline count to tell my fabricator.  Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. 

• Like 1

No need to really "tear" into it.  Just remove the rear cover.  You can get the diameter and spline count from the PTO unit, which is why I don't understand your need for that info.  You have a rear PTO to install right?  If not, then why build a shaft?  You can measure the length of the PTO shaft, then remove the rear cover and measure the distance from the rear of the case to the back on the input shaft.  Little math, and VIOLA!  You have the length you need.  Easy peezy.  I mean, you're going to have to tear it all down to install it anyway, so???  

For the record, the only part of the topshaft on an O that is different is at the FRONT of the shaft, not the rear, so someone told you wrong.  The rear would be the same as any other F-Cub or Cub Cadet.

Seems that IHCCW has to the topshafts to sell, give them a call for the price.  (Highly recommend these guys.) 

https://www.ihccw.com/misc.html?limit=100&product_id=3436

I'll also state one more time, you'd be money ahead to buy a new shaft for an F-Cub and have it machined.  

New: https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/new-international-351534r21-126166.html

Used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Farmall-Cub-Spline-Shaft-Clutch-Shaft-w-Bearing-351534R21-Straight-/123860572529?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Or, you could just wait around and buy one......  they do exist.  Probably see at least 1 or 2 come up for sale by themselves a year.  I've got 2 rear PTO units, (not for an Original).  Took me several years of looking and waiting to get them.  

• Thanks 1