Analyte

IH 434 identification

9 minutes ago, jimb2 said:

Kerry, I believe that is the dash light and should come on with head lights. 

Ah, I guess that makes sense for night use. Thanks!

,,Is there a trick to getting the indicstor lights on the dash out? I got the top ring/lens off and expected them to just screw out the bottom. They didn't.

There appears to be a he's ring underneath, but I can't find a wrench that fits. Is it an odd size or maybe it's just corroded.

I got a new wire form the alternator so it's charging now, and I started wiring up the dash lights. I'm sure they need bulbs, but the lower ends need to be scuffed before adding new wire 

Once I have all things electrical hooked back up and working, I'll redo it all so I can tuck the wires and wrap them for protection.

Kerry

48 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Boy if you didn't load it for that price, I certainly would.

Haha, I even drove it up on the trailer. Unbelievable deal, but the guy wanted it going to someone willing it save it rather than part it out.

Jim,

I was looking at the same diagram, and that's where I'm confused. It shows no hex/lock rings on the drawing to lock them in, but they aren't pulling/falling out as expected.

I'm keep messing with them since maybe it's just corrosion underneath keeping them attached. I just didn't want to apply pressure and damage anything unnecessarily.

Thanks,

Kerry

Indicators like those will usually either have a large nut underneath, or some snap catches that need to be pushed in to release them from the panel.   Since the nut is always part of the lamp assm, its probably not shown as a separate part.

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Indicators like those will usually either have a large nut underneath, or some snap catches that need to be pushed in to release them from the panel.   Since the nut is always part of the lamp assm, its probably not shown as a separate part.

Thanks Jeff, you are probably correct. I'll look again for a clip or but to press/remove.

I may end up taking that panel out completely. I'll need to in order to remove the steering box for a rebuiltd I'm thinking.

hello. the 276 had a much lower production number than the 434. Even here in the UK there few around now. The dealer I worked for only sold 3 or4 . really nice little tractors. Make sure you run the cooling system on 50% antifreeze solution to avoid having the liners go porous and dump the coolant in the sump. The only real difference between the BD144A and 154 are the pistons and liners. We used to put 144 liners in 154 engines because the liners are a lot thicker and didnt go porous so quick. No one ever noticed!. you could put 154 liners/pistons in a 144 if you really wanted! best of luck with your new tractor. Andy

1 hour ago, Andy spearey said:

hello. the 276 had a much lower production number than the 434. Even here in the UK there few around now. The dealer I worked for only sold 3 or4 . really nice little tractors. Make sure you run the cooling system on 50% antifreeze solution to avoid having the liners go porous and dump the coolant in the sump. The only real difference between the BD144A and 154 are the pistons and liners. We used to put 144 liners in 154 engines because the liners are a lot thicker and didnt go porous so quick. No one ever noticed!. you could put 154 liners/pistons in a 144 if you really wanted! best of luck with your new tractor. Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the history as I've been taking a crash course on the 276 model. I'm finding no one has heard of them here in the lower states so that's cool in a weird way. I'm really liking the tractor so far, but with it's unusual rarity I'm trying to stay close to original. Only the wiring will be little different with a few modern upgrades to make it more reliable.

Kerry

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 2:19 AM, jimb2 said:

Hi it is definitely an IH 434 without power steering we owned one from 1969 until about 1982.
If the head lights are in the lower part of the grill then it is an European model unless someone has installed the grill up side down.
The other thing I notice the front axle appears to be a round tube, normal would be inverted U axle.

See photo: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/3/1/2316-international-harvester-434-photos.html

When the 434 and other models were sent to "export markets" such as Canada the headlights were fitted at the top of the grille. The 434 was the "big brother" to the British 276 tractor. 

The 434 replaced the 424 in markets outside of the US.  The 434 (BD-154 engine) was a direct replacement for the B-414 and the 276 (BD-144 engine) replaced the B-275.

The correct location for the serial number plate is on the RIGHT side of the transmission casing. Sometimes these plates have been painted over, but it's possible to scrape the paint off. 

There was an Australian built version of the 434 and some websites incorrectly list the British built 434 as being an Australian built model, the one in the photo is the British style which is correct for the Canadian market.

Regards from Michael H. in Australia