Sign in to follow this  
Analyte

IH 434 identification

Actually, one more question.

Now that we've determined it's a 276, what is a fair price for this tractor in this condition? I still want it, but does the BD144 reduce the value over the BD154?

I just don't want to pay a 434 price for a 276 so with this new information just trying to determine if the price is still good or not if he won't adjust it any.

Thanks again,

Kerry

If this is any measure of the uncommonality of that tractor in the United States, this is the first I've heard of a 276. At least to me it's a rare bird, something that would get a lot of attention at tractor shows anyway. On the other hand, you're essentially buying an "orphan" if you need parts that aren't common with other tractors.

You're in uncharted territory where it comes to price. Did you mention what he is asking for it? I'm no tractor appraiser, though I've guessed what a tractor will bring at auction on many occasions and been scarily close, even spot on a couple of times. Just from pictures I'm right at the $2000 mark, though it might go up or down after inspecting the tractor up close and hearing it run. Most likely my price will go down as tractors tend to look better in pictures than in person.

Matt,

I will agree that things look different in person versus pictures. I uploaded a short video of it running and it really doesn't sound bad to me.

The body definitely needs some work and paint to look good, and the wiring has been patched over the years. Mechanically, expect for loose steering, poor brakes, and PTO clutch adjustment it seems to quite sound overall.

Just a really cool old tractor that has a life of piddling ahead of it....

Kerry

2 hours ago, Analyte said:

Actually, one more question.

Now that we've determined it's a 276, what is a fair price for this tractor in this condition? I still want it, but does the BD144 reduce the value over the BD154?

I just don't want to pay a 434 price for a 276 so with this new information just trying to determine if the price is still good or not if he won't adjust it any.

Thanks again,

Kerry

Can't help  with US prices. But I don't see anything negative about the BD144, just a little smaller. Lots of parts online. Even CNH still got parts. Engine and rear end was used in other Doncaster built tractors so don't worry about parts.

19 hours ago, Analyte said:

This is a better picture of the button on the left under the instrument panel that the owner pushed before starting. Now, it could be he doesn't know the glow plugs are energized by pushing the ignition switch and he just assumed this was correct. Nonetheless, if the button isn't for glow plugs, what is it for?

Capture.JPG

Book says horn button.

And yes preheating is by pushing ignition key in.

Hi, The only difference between 434 and 276 was that 434 had a BD-154 engine and 276 had BD-144 and a few other cosmic differences.
There were some 276s sold in Canada but not many as soon as the B414 and later 434, 444 and 384 were released the IH Dealers started selling them as competition to the MF 35/135.
The B275/276 and maybe USA 424 tractors were released to to fill the gap between B-250 at 30 HP and until the B414 was released at 40 HP.
Engine specs from my IH BC144, BD144A and BD154 Engine service manual:
BD-154 was Bore/Stroke 3-1/2 x 4 inches, Max RPM 2000, PTO HP 36.0, Compression ratio 23:1
BD-144 was Bore/Stroke 3-3/8 x 4 inches, Max RPM 1875, PTO HP 32.3, Compression ratio 21:1

I would be more concerned about locating the drawbar if you are going to pull a trailer or wagon with the 276.
The brakes are usually fixed by removing, cleaning the ramp/rollers and ruffing up the glazing on the brake disks.
If the glow plugs stop working don't buy a new one, there is a new style of fast heating ones but requires some modifications to electric feed.
PTO clutch can usually be fixed by adjustment unless it is stuck to the pressure plate, DO NOT FORCE the PTO into gear or you will shear the roll ping off inside the transmission.
Shut engine OFF put PTO in gear and start engine again while holding clutch all the way to foot rest.

there is a B275D with PS which is one generation older than the 276 listed here:
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1111/tractors-less-than-40-hp/manufacturer/international/model/b275

Wow, great information from everyone. I really appreciate the help!!

As it sits, agreed price is $950 and I'm still ok with that deal being it's a 276. The fact that so few are around makes it worth fixing up and working it for another 50 years.

I mainly want it for bush hogging, box blade, and grader blade work. At 32hp, it's more than enough for my needs.

I do live on hilly property so I'll definitely get the oil pressure light working to verify I don't run her dry. Good tip on the glow plugs if they need replacing.

Kerry

54 minutes ago, IHC-DK said:

Book says horn button.

And yes preheating is by pushing ignition key in.

Wow, then the current owner was pressing the horn button thinking it was for the glow plugs. It actually started good cold considering that fact.

Does your book provide part numbers for all the filters; fuel, oil, etc? The first thing I want to do it service it completely since I don't know when it was done last.

I'll add some ATF as suggested as well to the fuel so as to lube the injector pump.

Don't have part no. for engine oilfilter till tomorrow when back at work. Fuel filter is 3044506R93, but a regular CAV type so nothing special.

Hydraulic is just a metal filter to take out and clean.

Wires for preheating could have been changed if ignition switch was bad and horn was'nt impotent.

41 minutes ago, IHC-DK said:

Don't have part no. for engine oilfilter till tomorrow when back at work. Fuel filter is 3044506R93, but a regular CAV type so nothing special.

Hydraulic is just a metal filter to take out and clean.

Wires for preheating could have been changed if ignition switch was bad and horn was'nt impotent.

Good point on the horn being reappropriated. I'll have to check.

Thanks for the filter help, I'll get those ordered so I'm ready to go.

Thanks,

Kerry

I would have said 276 from the front axle.

A friend bought a 276 brand new and he added the axle  "brace" that was found on a 434 to it. 

We had one years ago. 

There were a few 276's sold new around here, there is still a one gas and one diesel one close to me. 

3 minutes ago, 495man said:

I would have said 276 from the front axle.

A friend bought a 276 brand new and he added the axle  "brace" that was found on a 434 to it. 

We had one years ago. 

There were a few 276's sold new around here, there is still a one gas and one diesel one close to me. 

Never before had I heard about a 276, good to know they are around. Just apparently not normal for down here...lol

Hi, for parts go to caseih.com

Link for engine parts: https://partstore.caseih.com/us/ReisEquipmentCarp/parts-search.html#epc::mr53077ag5878665
Link for 276 tractor parts: https://partstore.caseih.com/us/ReisEquipmentCarp/parts-search.html#epc::mr52535ag4932601

Fuel filter: 3044506R91, this is a common fuel filter for many Diesel tractors. Note there is a water trap bowl on bottom of filter that can be drained to remove water.
The Diesel fuel system will require bleeding when the fuel filter is replaced.
Hydraulic Suction filter: 3044368R93, this is very expensive as most owners make a replacement out of 1000 Mesh wire screen.
Air intake filter: Can't remember exactly what it was like but usually only cleaned with compressed air.
Oil Filter: I believe this is correct number 3043283R92, note: it will come with 3 O-Rings in the package and only one O-ring is correct for your tractor.
The O-Rings are a PITA to remove as you have to look up at the filter holder assembly and dig the old one out with a small screw driver or old dental pick and you MUST get all of the old one out or it will leak. Never over tighten the bolt on the filter housing or it will warp the up filter holder and leak. I believe there was an after market kit to convert to spin on filter.
I only changed the O-Ring every seconded oil change.
Check that coolant comes up running temperature after running for 20 minutes or so, if not may require a new thermostat. 

OOPS, I forgot to add always Google the part number for the filters and Google will list many sources, many will be in UK but lots of those UK Bradford built tractors were in North America.

57 minutes ago, jimb2 said:

OOPS, I forgot to add always Google the part number for the filters and Google will list many sources, many will be in UK but lots of those UK Bradford built tractors were in North America.

Jimb2,

Thanks again for all your help. With no real concerns regarding the tractor from the pics, video, or price I'll move forward with the purchase.

I'm sure I ask more questions going forward,  but thanks for being so responsive to the new guy!

Kerry

2 hours ago, Analyte said:

Never before had I heard about a 276, good to know they are around. Just apparently not normal for down here...lol

They were a fairly short run tractor, was the B-275 before, then replaced by the 354. They are nice little tractor.  

Well, I picked it up last night and got it home. I cleaned the block stamping and it is indeed a BD144. The guy also had another hood and side panels from a 434 that he gave me since he didn't have a use for them.

Speaking with the owner, he didn't know it wasn't a 434 because of the body panels. That said, he had never heard of a 276 before so we talked  about it and laughed how someone dragged it down from Canada at some point. A cool history.

The ignition switch has been replaced at some point so it is not a push in for energizing the glow plugs. Checking the horn button as well, it's wires go to nowhere so the tractor seems to be a very good cold starter since the glow plugs appear to be unused.

I'll pressure wash it today and start looking at the wiring while waiting on the filters I ordered to come in. I don't want to run it much until all the fluids are changed. Plus I still need to get on them brakes.

Thanks again for all the help!

Kerry

Kerry,  I have a scanned to PDF (5 Files of about 20 MBytes each) copy of my B414 Operators manual, printed in England in 1961, I don't see any copywrite info on it so I could email it to you BUT each PDF file is about 20 MBytes so your email server has to have the capability of handling 20 MByte attachments.
The only difference between B414 and 276 is BD-154 vs BD-144 but that is just a different crankshaft and the brakes have a different pedal arrangement and larger disk pads and
electrical wiring is slightly different with B414D having a separate Glow plug swicth and you didn't use key switch to start and it was +VE ground with generator and voltage regulator. 
I also have a 424 wiring diagram which would be closer to the 276 than B414.

You can message me from this site with your email address and I will email the 5 PDF files one at a time. 

32 minutes ago, jimb2 said:

Kerry,  I have a scanned to PDF (5 Files of about 20 MBytes each) copy of my B414 Operators manual, printed in England in 1961, I don't see any copywrite info on it so I could email it to you BUT each PDF file is about 20 MBytes so your email server has to have the capability of handling 20 MByte attachments.
The only difference between B414 and 276 is BD-154 vs BD-144 but that is just a different crankshaft and the brakes have a different pedal arrangement and larger disk pads and
electrical wiring is slightly different with B414D having a separate Glow plug swicth and you didn't use key switch to start and it was +VE ground with generator and voltage regulator. 
I also have a 424 wiring diagram which would be closer to the 276 than B414.

You can message me from this site with your email address and I will email the 5 PDF files one at a time. 

PM sent with email address. Thanks!