Sign in to follow this  
Analyte

IH 434 identification

I looked at a project tractor today that was said to be a British built IH 434 with the headlights Midway on the grille as expected. Upon inspection, the body plate had been removed and the decals on the hood were gone due to age as well.

How could I identify the year for this 434? It has been worked and the prior owner left it outside so the body isn't pretty. The guy selling it has only had it a short time and isn't sure himself on the actual model.

It dirty and rough, but all the mechanical items seem to be good. It does blow some steady grayish smoke so I'll address the likely injector leaks over time. The PTO doesn't stop with the clutch as it should be a live setup so I'll have to address that as well if working it hard doesn't loosen it up. It will need work, but I like these old tractors so I'll good with the time and money it will take.

Any other hidden body tags or where are the block cast numbers to determine age. I guess it doesn't matter to anyone but me...lol

Kerry

The only place the serial number appears on the entire tractor is the data plate. If that's gone, unless you have the original paper trail back to the time it was sold new, you won't be able to find the serial number for it. Unfortunately none of the other information you provided in pictures helps with determining the age.

You said you weren't even 100% positive that it was a 434: Best way to positively identify it is to go on google images, look up as many images of IH 434s as you can find, from as many angles as you can find, in as high of a resolution as you can find. Print them out and take them out to the tractor to compare. Look at details like the PTO, the engine, the operator's platform area. Hood is not a good place to compare, as IH used similar styling on many tractors.

Based on pictures I took with me, like you suggested, it does appear to be a 434 based on things like the dash panel and overall layout. I was just hoping a block casting number or such will give an indication of what year the tractor was built and where to find it.

If unable to determine year, I guess it doesn't really matter at this point. 

Thanks!

Hi it is definitely an IH 434 without power steering we owned one from 1969 until about 1982.
If the head lights are in the lower part of the grill then it is an European model unless someone has installed the grill up side down.
The other thing I notice the front axle appears to be a round tube, normal would be inverted U axle.

See photo: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/3/1/2316-international-harvester-434-photos.html

Jim,

The headlights are midway down like the pictures so it is a European model, possibly sent down from Canada??

Doing some more research, I believe the clutch pedal needs adjusted for travel and likely the fingers as well. That should help with the PTO usage.

What is the significance of the round tube front end? Is the inverted U axle the same as what I've read referred to as a swept back axle on Louisville built units?

Thanks!

I live in Canada and all the 434s here had the head lights at the top of grill.
Re round tube front axles were used on the models that were crated in UK and shipped to Louisville KY, USA were the final assembly would take place.
The USA factory would install the round tube axles like a 424, Delco electrics instead of the British Lucas electrics, wheels and tires and if it had PS the USA factory would install the PS same as other US build tractors like 404 and 504 Utilities,
So see the brand of starter is on it, Delco or Lucas? 

Jimb2, thanks for the information. Very interesting that it has mid headlights and a round tube front end. I didn't take a picture of the front, but I'll snap one when I pick it up this weekend. 

Here are some pics of the sides with the hood panel off. Not sure if you can identify the starter brand from a picture if they look the same externally.

IMG_20190812_152028.jpg

IMG_20190812_152043.jpg

Mid headlights is definitely a Euro thing. I like the straight round tube front axle. From here it looks like most of the "rough" is just decades of dirt and grease. Nothing that a few hours with a pressure washer won't fix.

American IH castings have date codes on them in the format XX*YY*Z, but I don't know about tractors made overseas. The "Z" being a letter, starting with A = 1955 and going up from there.

Matt,

I believe your correct on the tractor needing a date with a pressure washer. After that, some paint will make a hug difference following by some wiring cleanup and fixes.

Any specific areas I need to avoid with the pressure washer so as to not damage anything?

Where would these date codes on the casting be located if there similar to the US models?

Thanks!

Well it obviously runs...unless you are hiding spinning the fan real fast by hand.....!   Nice find...that is a very interesting tractor.  MORE pics!   

That looks like a Lucas starter as it has the ground strap on the bottom front. I assume it has been converted to -VE ground since it has an alternator on it.

Re pressure washing, I use either large Ziplock or heady duty garbage bags to enclose the starter, alternator and air intake and exhaust pipe and tie the ends of the bags closed with either Ty-wraps or electrical tape. Becareful around the fuel tank and lines just in case there is a leak because water is very damaging to the injection pump.
You may want to add a cup full of ATF to the Diesel tank as an old IH Mechanic told my brother that is very good for these old injection pumps that were not made for ultra low sulphur Diesel fuel.

PS, I have a wiring diagram for a B414D and about the only thing different was the B414D had a separate glow plug switch where as the 434 you push the ignition switch in between ON and Start position.   

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Well it obviously runs...unless you are hiding spinning the fan real fast by hand.....!   Nice find...that is a very interesting tractor.  MORE pics!   

I wish I could say I'm that awesome, but nowhere close...lol

Thanks, I didn't take anymore pics but I have a video of it running for a few seconds that I'll try to link from YouTube.

1 hour ago, jimb2 said:

That looks like a Lucas starter as it has the ground strap on the bottom front. I assume it has been converted to -VE ground since it has an alternator on it.

Re pressure washing, I use either large Ziplock or heady duty garbage bags to enclose the starter, alternator and air intake and exhaust pipe and tie the ends of the bags closed with either Ty-wraps or electrical tape. Becareful around the fuel tank and lines just in case there is a leak because water is very damaging to the injection pump.
You may want to add a cup full of ATF to the Diesel tank as an old IH Mechanic told my brother that is very good for these old injection pumps that were not made for ultra low sulphur Diesel fuel.

PS, I have a wiring diagram for a B414D and about the only thing different was the B414D had a separate glow plug switch where as the 434 you push the ignition switch in between ON and Start position.   

Thanks for the tip on the bags and tape, I'll stop by the car wash on the way home to clean it up so the wife doesn't get mad about the gunk in the driveway.

It will need some rewiring for sure as the water temp gauge wires have been snagged or cut at some point among other things. I'll check when I pick it up, but I don't recall him pushing the switch in to start it, but rather pushing a button on the left side of the console that I assumed was for the glow plugs. The black button is seen in the second pic under the dash on the left side of the tractor. I'm guessing if it is indeed energizing the glow plugs, I guess it could have been added at some point because the original switch failed??

This is a better picture of the button on the left under the instrument panel that the owner pushed before starting. Now, it could be he doesn't know the glow plugs are energized by pushing the ignition switch and he just assumed this was correct. Nonetheless, if the button isn't for glow plugs, what is it for?

Capture.JPG

I did find two more pictures, I had taken one each of the front and back.

It seems like an oddity now considering the European front with a round tube axle. 

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Interesting, I guess it could be a 276 with the round axle front. We're they sold in the US as my search seemed to point to them not being sold here?

Any external differences between the BD144 and BD154 that I could look for to confirm? I read the CAV is different, is there a style code on the CAV I could check. To confirm?

I found a 276 online and it was brought up that it didn't have draft control? Was that an option or standard on 276 tractors? 

It appears the 276 is also a dual stage clutch so that doesn't help.

Thanks!

Hi you can identify the engine by looking at the right front side of the engine about the same height as the top of the oil filter canister, there will be a raised machined flat surface that will have either BD-154 or BD-144 stamped in it.
See photo below:

2001243556_BD-1X4EngineType.thumb.JPG.aca99bc8c983820a310a12af2e3a5817.JPG

I spoke to the current owner and he's unable to read the engine block tag or stamping. If there, it's too dirty to read.

He did send me the tire sizes since they show a 32 inch wheel for a 434 and a 28 inch wheel for a 276 on tractordata. The tires on the tractor currently are a 13.6x28 which fits the 276 description on tractordata website.

If the 276 has draft control that may be what it is.

Thanks,

Kerry

Instructions book shows draft control.

Clutch is out of adjustment, pretty common, as when main clutch is getting worn,  PTO clutch adjustment changes.

Can be adjusted by taking the bottom plate off.

Thanks IHC-DK, by all new evidence it definitely appears to be a 276.

Does your instruction book say whether the glow plugs are energized by the ignition switch similar to the 434 or not? If the same, what does that black button on the left side under the dash panel do that I asked about earlier?

For a 276 to end up in Tennessee after not being sold in the US originally is actually pretty cool. I'm betting most down here have never even seen a 276 which is why it was thought to be a 434.

I have read the BD144 wasn't a good starting tractor compared to the BD154, but that's all I found that's negative about the smaller Diesel.

It still should do everything I'm wanting along with being a cool tractor to look at, and the price is still more than fair.

Anything else I should look for or know about before I pick it up?

Thanks,

Kerry