Slobo

Farmall 460 and 560 original lights

Hello, given the experience on this board with Farmall 460s and 560s, I am trying to determine more about Dietz lights on these tractors as original equipment vs. Guide.

My understanding is that Guide lights on 460s/560s had a small "G" in a triangle (point down) in the center of the lens, and the Guide logo in script on the rear of the 
teardrop bucket, just above the electrical lead, surrounded by "Made in U.S.A.".

Dietz on the other hand I am less clear on: A "GE" script or "W" in small circle in the center of the lens and no markings at all on the bucket?

The buckets on both Guide and Dietz shallow teardrop-shaped and all red (i.e., no black around the lens at the front of the bucket housing)?

Did these characteristics carry over to the Guide and Dietz work/tail lights as well? Would all of one or the other or mixed be common off the factory floor?

Were Guide more common than Dietz or vice vera? About the same? 

Any info you can provide on helping me to distinguish original lights on 460s/560s would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I can answer your question as to Dietz VS Guide. I'm pretty sure the 460/560 used a sealed beam lamp installed in the teardrop shape housing. The "GE" or "W" indicates that the actual sealed beam lamp is a General Electric or a Westinghouse. My feeling is that Guide would have been more common.

Welcome!!!   My Experience with 460/560 lights are the guide lights,  Our Dealership would install what ever you want,  When I worked at our local dealership in the early 1970's, we had a Light assembly called   "Flame Thrower",   Same Light you would find on a "Cessna 180" airplane, our Mid Michigan dealership sold Hundreds of these lights!  these sealed beam lights fit in the same opening as any other sealed beam lights,  took more amps to power them. But these things would light up a Field!!!

But from IHC the stamped steel large diameter headlight was the most common mounted next to the fuel tank,  the Grill headlamps were a common size found at most automotive stores.

You can put what ever you like on your tractor,  to get the look you want.

Jim Droscha

Thanks both. Jim I'm referencing the rear side mounted by the fuel tank, not the front mounted that I think we're the standard mount on Utilities. I am trying to trace back to factory original, in particular the teardrop buckets. Hence the look at Dietz vs. Guide which my parts diagram says we're the standard for 460s and 560s.

I once did a restoration on our 460 before it became a all out puller.  We had one good old Westinghouse one, I found another off a bean picker.  The GE ones looked to much like a modern day house flood light.  Which to me did not look old.