MTO

Liquid/steel weight rollover prevention

I`ll assume liquid weight would be best to prevent a rollover as lower to the ground.

But how big of a part would wheel weights play in rollover prevention?

And of course also wheel width is also important.

If you can`t already tell, my last experience on a steep slope has left me queasy.

Just wanna prevent any RIP MTO topics.... as if.:ph34r:

1 minute ago, MTO said:

Just answer the d^mn question and forget the big buck toys!

put the weights up high on the fenders🤣

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

You could do both and then you got the best of both worlds😜

• Haha 1

Do you have any rear weights for the A ? I have 4 sets extra at the bungalow

• Thanks 1

Duals or widening out the rear wheels as far as possible makes the most difference. The tractors the highway DOT guys mow road banks with around here, like RAINMAN did are set amazingly narrow in my opinion.  Not sure weight either liquid or iron help that much.

I take more chances with my garden tractors than I will with one of my Farmalls, I can shift my weight around on the little tractors and they will slide down off the slope sideways. Not sure a Farmall would do that, and I'd rather not find out.

Wheel weights or ballast is big in safety,take it from hill farmer.I have fluid and weights.Fluid works two fold,one weight ,other it allows the tire to bend or give a little I think better then all air. Weight will help in rollovers of courses if you have a loader,other is if you start to slide ,speed increases your chance of wheels coming off the ground. Anything you can do to keep from sliding will inherently help you in trying not to roll.Once you roll your gone.

43 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Duals or widening out the rear wheels as far as possible makes the most difference. The tractors the highway DOT guys mow road banks with around here, like RAINMAN did are set amazingly narrow in my opinion.  Not sure weight either liquid or iron help that much.

I take more chances with my garden tractors than I will with one of my Farmalls, I can shift my weight around on the little tractors and they will slide down off the slope sideways. Not sure a Farmall would do that, and I'd rather not find out.

YEP,  I always wanted front & rears set as wide as possible. A new 6610 Ford set wide & had 4" rear wheel spacers . It had a rear 3 pt. 84" flail & right & left mid mounted Mott Interstater flails (18'6" Cut total). Anytime on a steep slope I'd raise rear mower a couple inches off ground & the same with the up slope mid mount to balance weight on all tires. On pull type rotaries there enough weight on the drawbar most times, if not raise mower just off ground than maybe might stay straight behind tractor or slide sideways if on steep slopes.

Some counties run duals which would widen the tractors thread width.

And yes, I have slid sideways down slope a few times.....than to make another angle of approach.

Like Jacka said  above... slow on slopes....

Did u say liquid steelScreenshot_20190812-203507_Google.thumb.jpg.3412c44a508a8cab659fae3546363e59.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rainman said:

YEP,  I always wanted front & rears set as wide as possible. A new 6610 Ford set wide & had 4" rear wheel spacers . It had a rear 3 pt. 84" flail & right & left mid mounted Mott Interstater flails (18'6" Cut total). Anytime on a steep slope I'd raise rear mower a couple inches off ground & the same with the up slope mid mount to balance weight on all tires. On pull type rotaries there enough weight on the drawbar most times, if not raise mower just off ground than maybe might stay straight behind tractor or slide sideways if on steep slopes.

Some counties run duals which would widen the tractors thread width.

And yes, I have slid sideways down slope a few times.....than to make another angle of approach.

Like Jacka said  above... slow on slopes....

An Interstater setup would stink for slope work always having that downhill mower.  I can get away with some pretty steep slope mowing at work with the 6105D JD we have but that has a cable lift Tiger 5ft extreme duty side flail and a 96inch HD Alamo offset 3pt mower so we don't have a downhill mower to worry about.  I can always keep the Tiger mower uphill to counteract and balance.  I know the guy I work with has radioed me while mowing that I had it steep enough that the downhill tire was about to roll off the rim.  That would suck as they are loaded with Beet juice.

10 hours ago, Ihcubguy said:

.  That would suck as they are loaded with Beet juice.

You have beet juice in your tires? Never heard of that. Guess if your thirsty while out on the tractor you could depress the schrader valve and it would be like a beet juice water fountain.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, MarkG said:

You have beet juice in your tires? Never heard of that.

AKA Rim Guard.

11 minutes ago, New Englander said:

AKA Rim Guard.

I understand now. He got me on that one.

• Haha 1

Everyone around our area just calls it beet juice.

Set her up like this Cub!

Image result for Farmall A with dual tires

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So what I`m reading is weight, of any kind, is my friend. Regardless of width. Eh?

Duals aren`t an option at this point anyhow. 

You need an adjustable buddy seat for Vtfireman. Stick him out on a long pole on the uphill side and hope he doesn’t jump off!😂

• Haha 2

• Haha 4

I’m no expert on physics, but in this application it’s pretty simple. A tractor has a center of gravity. Put a pendulum on that point and keep the lower part between your wheels. Adding weight can lower your center, raising a loader raises it. Set the tires wide and it’s much harder to swing it past. Watch for bumps/holes, they can cause the weight to swing past the wheels faster than you can react.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

You need an adjustable buddy seat for Vtfireman. Stick him out on a long pole on the uphill side and hope he doesn’t jump off!😂

You ever travel with 2 little kids in the back seat? I’m not touching you seems a universal game, I don’t think it’s a good idea to put me on the seat with Mark 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

You ever travel with 2 little kids in the back seat? I’m not touching you seems a universal game, I don’t think it’s a good idea to put me on the seat with Mark 

Yeah. We went to look at another tractor today.

We drove separate.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I would just like to point out that while it wasn’t the answer you wanted, my response was prompt, on topic and offered a real solution  and wasn’t even slightly snarky. All of those qualities are atypical of my usual posts. You however got cranky, if this is how you act at work it’s no wonder you can’t keep help😉

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1