thebunns

Compression Tester

I bought two compression testers from Amazon.com & neither one works on my TD-14.  I need an adapter with a rubber tip that will seal against a 22mm hole.  The two I got measured less than 19mm each.  Can somebody tell me where to get one that will fit my tractor?  Thanks!

Vic

Vic, probably easier to fab than to

find one.  i will check my kit

and see what it has

On 8/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, thebunns said:

I bought two compression testers from Amazon.com & neither one works on my TD-14.  I need an adapter with a rubber tip that will seal against a 22mm hole.  The two I got measured less than 19mm each.  Can somebody tell me where to get one that will fit my tractor?  Thanks!

Vic

Here is my fix. Take one of your old Spark plugs, break out the porceline and weld on a Harbor freight air chuck that fits your compression tester. I get to make this stuff up, and drive 400 miles to see, my 2 TD-6's. 1943 and 1953......one runs on gas and makes right hand turns. The other has been sitting unknown years. with rain and snow have not had chance to move it to my cousins 20 acres to play.

25 minutes ago, Hojon said:

Here is my fix. Take one of your old Spark plugs, break out the porceline and weld on a Harbor freight air chuck that fits your compression tester. I get to make this stuff up, and drive 400 miles to see, my 2 TD-6's. 1943 and 1953......one runs on gas and makes right hand turns. The other has been sitting unknown years. with rain and snow have not had chance to move it to my cousins 20 acres to play.

Thanks for the tip.  At the time I wanted one I was checking for a stuck decompression valve.  All I had to do was to turn the engine over with my finger stuck in the spark plug hole to see if air was blowing out.  The valve was stuck & I unstuck it.  All is well!

Vic

• Like 1

Vic,

Your right,  your thumb would work too!:)

Why are spark plugs metric? Guess I need to google that. I can see them setting around the big desk in the meeting room. 1in the early 1900's or before, triyng to decide what thread size to make in the heads for spark plugs!:)

Regards,

Chris

7 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Why are spark plugs metric

I believe the spark plugs are actually 7/8 "    22mm is just really close,   Maybe someone has the dope on this ??

Ian,

I read it but not sure what the answer is. I will go with the part that Europe was way ahead of us in mfg spark plugs theory.

Thanks,

Chris

It's possible they are 7/8" as that was a common size for the F-20's way back then.

49 minutes ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

It's possible they are 7/8" as that was a common size for the F-20's way back then.

Nope!  The thread size is 22 mm and the wrench size is 15/16".

Vic

1 hour ago, thebunns said:

Nope!  The thread size is 22 mm and the wrench size is 15/16".

15/16" is about 23.8 mm so either would work

On 1/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, Ian Beale said:

15/16" is about 23.8 mm so either would work

I think you're confused---thread size has nothing to do with the size wrench needed to pull or install the plug!  And vice versa!  While I appreciate all of your answers to my original question, I have decided in the future if the occasion arises again I'll use my finger (or thumb).

Vic