Chisel plow size

jflaw92

Sorry in advance if it's been covered already. 

I'm going to have to start working a field next year due to being limited on what chemicals I can use on a field. So I was going to chisel plow it and then disk it.

I have a 1466 and a 966, what sized chisel plow would be suited to them? It's fairly decent ground, not black dirt but not clay. 

Thanks

We always heard 10 hp per shank. Depending on soils it might be slightly different

6 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

I got a 9 shank landoll it will stop my 5488 or 7150 if you sink it in deep

I don't believe that the landol is considered a chisel plow. That's a subsoiler. If it has disks up front ( and or the back) that adds to the hp requirements

There are a lot of variables in play.  The capabilities of the two tractors are very different.  Chisel plow can mean different things and certainly soil characteristics come into play.

I have a 10 shank 6000 conser till I use on my 10’s and 14’s.  In tough going you know it’s back there and a 9 would never pull it.  Other times it might.  9-10 shanks was normal size disk chisel, not a ripper, when they were commonly used in this area.  Lots of heavy black soil in this part of the world and it can pull hard.

6BED8FBE-22F7-40F5-B2C5-8EC142C53BBD.jpeg

7E5DFE9D-9241-4873-8A9F-C504E4B8046B.jpeg

5 hours ago, smfarms said:

I pull a 9 shank disc chisel with a 1456. All it wants too

I ran the Land-Lord's green 8440 4wd pulling an 11 or 13 shank Glenco Soil Saver several  nights every fall. Had to have the tach reading over 1500 and gaining rpm when you dropped the chisel in the ground or the engine bogged. Had the tractor spin-out a couple times starting going uphill on clay sidehills. Tractor had pretty fair GY Power-Torque's, 60+/-%, 23.1x30 or '34's. Had to run in A range and 2nd or 3rd gear. The Soil-Saver just took out the tire tracks. LandLord said it was making 190-200 hp. Had it making 225 hp for a short time couple years before but it went BANG!

4 hours ago, bitty said:

I don't believe that the landol is considered a chisel plow. That's a subsoiler. If it has disks up front ( and or the back) that adds to the hp requirements

It had straight blades ahead took them off always plugged run twisted shanks on front and just straight on back so it does ridge to bad

There are so many variables to consider such as soil type, how deep you want to run it and what kind of points. As bitty said ten horsepower per shank is kind of the rule. They have a 15 shank brillion at the farm that we usually pulled with an mx270 as far down as it would go. The 3588 that was turning 184hp could pull it, just not as deep and not up any steep hills.

A chisel plow has only chisel shanks. A soil finisher or mulch tiller will have discs on the front and chisels behind it. and then you have a deep Ripper type stuff with discs on the front rippers in the middle discs on the back or rolling baskets on the back. None of this stuff is similar to the other when it comes to horsepower wise

Also makes a difference on what size shovels you are running. 4” twisted pull a lot harder than 2” straight points. Makes a difference on how much trash you want to bury

1 minute ago, smfarms said:

I normally run 4” twisted 

I wouldn't run anything but 4" twisted on a chisel.  Doesn't do any good unless you open it up and roll it over in my opinion. 

You can have a chisel plow with discs on it. Its called a disc chisel. It plows like a chisel plow but has discs in front of the chisel shanks. It definitely isn't a soil finisher because it isn't smooth after a pass. You hit again with a field cultivator or disc harrow to smooth it out. It all depends on the shank in points on what it is. 

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

I wouldn't run anything but 4" twisted on a chisel.  Doesn't do any good unless you open it up and roll it over in my opinion. 

Ill agree with that a 100%

10 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

There are a lot of variables in play.  The capabilities of the two tractors are very different.  Chisel plow can mean different things and certainly soil characteristics come into play.

I have a 10 shank 6000 conser till I use on my 10’s and 14’s.  In tough going you know it’s back there and a 9 would never pull it.  Other times it might.  9-10 shanks was normal size disk chisel, not a ripper, when they were commonly used in this area.  Lots of heavy black soil in this part of the world and it can pull hard.

6BED8FBE-22F7-40F5-B2C5-8EC142C53BBD.jpeg

7E5DFE9D-9241-4873-8A9F-C504E4B8046B.jpeg

Agreed. We have a 13 foot frame like this one, but with only nine shanks. It came with 13, but no way on God's green earth will you pull it like a chisel with 13 shanks and a two wheel drive. We have a 300 HP 1466 with 20.8's in the front and we can easily stop it. If you only want to run 6-8 inches deep, no problem, but at chisel depth it pulls hard.

54 minutes ago, Jacka said:

We had a 11 tooh IH pull type 55 ,pulled all day with a 856 in 4th direct.,pulled TA back just when it got tough.Did hundreds of acres corn  every spring.

How deep I pull mine 16-20 inches took stops off the double ended shanks are about 4” below ground I forgive 30 hp per shank

Old DMI 13 shank with 4" twisted shovels is just right for our 14 with +170hp.....but you know it's back there in our heavy black IL dirt.  Have to disk everything at least once, sometimes 2x, to get the trash from 225bu corn through it though.  Disking loosens the first few inches,  but also adds wheel slip, so I'd say that cancels out fairly well.....

A 9 shank chisel plow or disc chisel, not a ripper or subsoiler, is about right. The 14 can pull it with ease in most conditions, and the 9 can do it in a pinch. If desperate you can remove the outer two chisels and reduce it to a 7 shank.

I'm of the opinion that even though an old tractor could pull more, if you pull something a little smaller you greatly reduce the chance of pushing old worn components past their limits and ending up with a costly repair. A tractor may run another 20 years pulling a 9 shank, but tear something up within the first hour pulling 11 shanks, for example.

Archived