Saw this today at the Pageant of Steam. 

3C44C50A-DE6A-458C-AC52-4BECE9DF02D0.jpeg

A59C2795-FFC8-4C89-929C-3050C8EB9A10.jpeg

6DFF971F-BC3F-45F4-BC79-D7F80AC0BED1.jpeg

• Like 7

Harvester works in reverse. Front axle is at front of harvester

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:36 PM, Fred B said:

can't tell whether it am coming or going.  ?  looks like they used an early ih combine operators platform.  they must have flipped  the ring gear to make it go backwards.  that steering axle looks like i'ts from early combine also.

ARE BOTH PICS THE SAME MACHINE? IN THE FIRST PIC THERE IS NO STEER AXLE....

7 hours ago, farmall666 said:

ARE BOTH PICS THE SAME MACHINE? IN THE FIRST PIC THERE IS NO STEER AXLE....

Yes, it is there, just can’t see in that picture 

We bought #13 built in 1971. It is used for cabbage that is going to a sauerkraut plant for immediate processing. Ours was mounted on an 826hydro ( gold demonstrater )  that we bought just for this use. Think of the harvester being on blocks and then you back into it with the 8” channel over the top of the rear axle. We would take the forklift and pick up the tractor’s front axle until the holes line up witha block that is mounted midsection of the tractor. 2 1” bolts are installed on each side  and then we drop the front axle off of the tractor. Ours was built with it’s own front axle so we just had to put our front tires on it and set the tractor’s axle aside. There was a pto mounted hydraulic pump that ran the header that brought the whole plant up to a spinning disk to cut the head off of the stump, the cleaning bed with spiral shafts to take loose leaves off and then the elevator to carry the heads up and into a truck or when it was wet to a dump cart. The 2 sets of outlets ran the header up and down, the end of the elevator reaching into the truck and the steering.  Long rods ran from the tractor to the operators platform to connect the hydro,speed range and the throttle. Also brake lines were ran the length. We could change this overi in about 3 hours. We had 18.4x34 tires with duals and it would go thru anything. This worked great. On later models they used  unisystems as a power source. And to top it off they used ih red for the main frame and white for the elevator.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, Fred B said:

they must have flipped  the ring gear to make it go backwards.

15 hours ago, gordon76 said:

Hydro no need to flip ring gear

It was my understanding this was a custom harvester . Hydro 100 book says top field speed  7 mph, in reverse, that's fine as long as you don't have to drive it any distance on the hi way. JD in the 1950's produced a 1 row cotton picker, mounted on their 60 tractor it picked in reverse, from a different operator station, but for hi way travel  you had to disconnect all the controls, put the steering wheel back on, and drive it from the normal forward position.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:54 PM, Mr. Plow said:

I feel sorry for that poor 656....like dressing up the prom queen in sweats.....

I totally see you’re point but......

on the other hand it IS still an IH 656 and the prom queen and the girl in sweats is still the same girl...... just a different look 

just my thoughts

I vote with Fred B on the "front steering axle" and operators platform being from an early combine.

Here are some pics from my old 125SP combine (that I converted to a winch tractor years ago).

20171019_150512.thumb.jpg.798fafe125dd5a265db192c89fdfa95f.jpg

Pretty sturdy axle for carry a load------not sure how well the vertical steering post would have held up with the power steering????  But------this old critter needed some extra steering help with no load hanging out front!!?

20171019_150008.thumb.jpg.3e2ba65736b451424e97306701542d52.jpg

Fred B don't miss much.

DD

anson i kinda thought you might chime in , yeah it's pretty easy to notice that weird tie rod arrangement on that combine axle. except for the tie rods that axle might be from a W4 tractor. i've got one if those combines, but mine has a valve in head 6, topside. i always though i might do something with it, but it still sits there.

On 8/11/2019 at 11:59 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

I totally see you’re point but......

on the other hand it IS still an IH 656 and the prom queen and the girl in sweats is still the same girl...... just a different look 

just my thoughts

Sweats come off easier in the back seat....

• Haha 2