Sign in to follow this  
waterloo

UD 282 project

SO started non restoration on my 282 power unit. It has 80% original paint so it will stay that way. SO first thing I want to drain oil. Loosen the drain plug just a bit and got about a pint of clear water before the oil. Hmm not impressed!!. So today I looked in the rad for the first time. and it is full to the proper level with green anti freeze. I know this engine has sat for a while could it just be condensation?. The exhaust was well sealed and looking into the manifold there are no signs or any water getting there? Waterloo

Those engines are famous for head gasket leakes. My 706 has one and has had several installed since dad bought it back in the mid 70s. Thx-Ace

I have not spun the engine yet. But I am planning on pulling glow pugs out to see if anything is in the cylinders. I don't think that it is coolant because the coolant is bright green and what I drained out was crystal clear. Had a friend looking at it with me today. I bought the engine several years ago. But was unable to pick it up. So I had a guy collect it for me. Perhaps it sat outside covered with snow. All around the oil filler is very rusted.