lorenzo

Casket for a dog

Anyone ever buy a casket for their dog or cat?

My Border Collie is 16 1/2 years now and she is slowing down rapidly. doc says her heart is strong but her lungs are not working 100%.

She may or may not make it to her 17th birthday .

Yes we love her enough to bury her in something other then just a cardboard box so I'm looking for a casket.

I guess I will look at the WWW to see if one even exist.

IMG_9340.thumb.JPG.edabfcd3c865c1eedfe304a29e98d765.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Lorenzo,

Make it personal. Build her one. Get some good lumber or traditional pine and send her off in something you built yourself.

• Like 9

I never thought of that. We buried our Lab wrapped in his dog bed with his favorite toys all wrapped in a drum liner. We then polished off a fifth of very good single malt Scotch. Had the vet do it in the living room. Damned sad day.

I guess we hadn't thought the day would come so quickly..............

Edit: I'm not sure I could have kept myself together while building one. Getting a bit misty just thinking of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with others, if you can build your own.    

One of the hardest days of my life was when I buried my beloved Bulldozer the English Bulldog.   I buried him at the farm in his blanket and my mother just had to have me wrap him in a brand new bath towel too.   Putting the dirt back in the hole was difficult.  I sure loved that dog! 

16 plus years is a good long life for a dog, but it's never long enough. :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might be able to repurpose a toy chest or blanket chest If your not up to building one right now but I bet eBay or amazon has something 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made one out of black walnut for my girlfriend's dog but we didn't end up using it. It wasnt fancy. Just rough lumber screwed together. I always put them wrapped in a blanket and put some hay on top with some treats, ball or something.  Kinda silly but seems the right thing to do. These dang animals sure can get ahold of your heart. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like your idea.

Never considered it.

If you aren`t up to building one, maybe a friend could for you. 

Or do this...yeah, a couple hundred but small price for a family member.

https://www.pawsrest.com/products/paws-rest-premium-pet-casket?variant=7207881539629&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukCp1CBS7grTnzpY1dNTI5guhRY-xr6_4yHuO2Tb9g8gmGqkLx96cCkaAitMEALw_wcB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was married and living in an apartment when my dog had to be put down. God bless my dad, he carried King (a Norwegian Elkhound - a decent sized dog) up and down the steps every day at the end. The dog slept in the basement at night, was outside during the day. So my mom and dad take him to the vet. My dad can't bring himself to take him inside, my mom does. Afterward  my dad wraps him in a nice furniture blanket and puts him in a study cardboard box. My dad was a tooling supervisor and one of his foremen had 10 acres where he lived out side town. To this day when I drive by the acreage, I know which pine tree he is under. I was at work when they called and said they were back from the vet. I was 26-27 years old and balled like a baby in front of my coworkers. I am getting misty eyed typing this and it's 40+ years ago.  They are your best friend thru thick and thin. Unconditional love at it's best.

When I was younger and misbehaving, my mom came out side, raised her voice and used my given first and middle name in "that tone" of voice lol. She raised her hand and pointed her finger at me. King jumped up and clamped his teeth on her hand. Not hard, never left a mark. Oh was my mom mad. "Wait till your father gets home, not only are you in trouble but "he" has got to go." I don't think i got punished and the dog lived many more years with us. But there was no question as to who he protected :)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, New Englander said:

I never thought of that. We buried our Lab wrapped in his dog bed with his favorite toys all wrapped in a drum liner. We then polished off a fifth of very good single malt Scotch. Had the vet do it in the living room. Damned sad day.

I guess we hadn't thought the day would come so quickly..............

Edit: I'm not sure I could have kept myself together while building one. Getting a bit misty just thinking of it.

I built a nice one for my Schnauzer a couple years back.  It was something kind of unexpected and i will admit i cried like a baby the entire time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Anyone ever buy a casket for their dog or cat?

My Border Collie is 16 1/2 years now and she is slowing down rapidly. doc says her heart is strong but her lungs are not working 100%.

She may or may not make it to her 17th birthday .

Yes we love her enough to bury her in something other then just a cardboard box so I'm looking for a casket.

I guess I will look at the WWW to see if one even exist.

IMG_9340.thumb.JPG.edabfcd3c865c1eedfe304a29e98d765.JPG

How big? How fancy? I know there’s some wood craftsman here. I’ve seen their work! Shipping might be an issue though 

• Thanks 1

I had my first dog, misty, for over 15 years.  finally had

to put her down.  took her to the vet and they sent her

to be cremated.  she now sits on my desk in a nice cherry

box.  I will do the same with my current dog, molly.  

Duane

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could have him cremated. You get a nice little little box with the ashes. I have several dogs and cats and one horse in the back yard. And a horse in the front yard(that sink hole right there. That's her). Two more over the hill by the creek and one behind the barn. I'm becoming a fan of alternatives.

• Thanks 2

We've  always buried our dogs in old suitcases. Ran out of suitcases so don't have anymore dogs. Our daughter told our granddaughter if you ever go to grandpa's and find a buried suitcase, leave it alone, there's  no money in it.😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boog said:

We've  always buried our dogs in old suitcases. Ran out of suitcases so don't have anymore dogs. Our daughter told our granddaughter if you ever go to grandpa's and find a buried suitcase, leave it alone, there's  no money in it.😄

Someone's going to get a big surprise one of these days. I hope no one digs up my animals but I guess theres nothing I can do about it and none of us will care by then. 

• Like 1

Im sorry.

I lost my favorite dog this spring.

Ace

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, redneckhippie said:

I made one out of black walnut for my girlfriend's dog but we didn't end up using it. It wasnt fancy. Just rough lumber screwed together. I always put them wrapped in a blanket and put some hay on top with some treats, ball or something.  Kinda silly but seems the right thing to do. These dang animals sure can get ahold of your heart. 

We do the same when we loose one. Wrap them up in they're favorite blanket and include their favorite toys etc. And your right, they grab your heart and don't let go.

• Like 1

The love of a good dog is something one is blessed with.

I know a couple of dogs that are far higher on my friend list than most people.

Build her a casket.

She deserves something built by you.

• Like 3

made this for our 16 y.o. Chihuahua that is going downhill slowley, can hardly hear or see anymore. casket is about 16"x7x7, just oak veneer plywood screwed together

and by the way, that cabinet in the background is one i built, stands about 6' high and 22" deep by 42" wide , those are full extension drawers, have it filled with hand toolsIMG_20190808_190112030.thumb.jpg.7695029f32f50057ee766a3d651dba8b.jpg

• Like 3

A week ago tonight I  buried our border collie. She was to be 17 years old in October.  She died of liver failure. She had other health issues that we figured would get her. I found her in the yard conscious  but couldn't get up cause she was weak. I thought she had a stroke. The vet gave her maybe a month. She didn't last 48 hours. I was glad she went fast cause I just couldn't bring myself to put her down. The next morning was the hardest. That dog seen our kids grow up. She was really a family  member,  that helped feed cattle everyday.

• Sad 2

The property I live on was owned by a rather well to do family from 1870's to early 1900's. But had other ranches 200 to 300 miles away and a San Francisco home as well. The wife had a dearly loved dog (I have idea of breed,but believe it was bigger than lap dog) that died I thing in SF. So she had coffin made and shipped dog by train to Paso Robles ,were the foreman hauled it 15 miles out to the ranch. She wanted it buried just out side her bedroom window. But the story went she had a $20 gold coin with the dog inside the coffin. Which really had the neighborhood atwitter   with such extravagance. It must have been talked of as my dad was not born till 1912,and was 17 when he was first around this property.

The year 1940 is still one of wettest years locally, and after 4 or 5 months of steady rain a sink whole developed out the bedroom window. Dad remembered the story of the dog and asked a long time neighbor if that could be where the dog was buried. With the depression not really over the neighbor convinced him they should look for the $20 gold piece. As they dug another long time resident showed up who said I knew the cheap old foreman that buried the dog, No gold would of been buried. As it was to wet to do much real work they dug more and never found any gold.

Thanks boog for bring this tail from my dad back to me. As well as people have put effort into remembering there 4 legged friends for a long time.

• Like 3

I have always buried them in a blanket with their favorite toy. When I had to put down my English Setter the other year I had him cremated. Got the little wooden box with the ashes, I split up the ashes into smaller baggies, one baggie is still in the box, the other baggies I have taken with me and spread his ashes on his favorite hunting grounds, the pheasant fields at the lake and farm locally, the Woodcock covers and the Grouse woods on the state gamelands in upstate Pennsylvania, and the Grouse woods in New York and upper Michigan. The first trip to Michigan was only about a month after he passed, and I choked up every time I reached inside my vest for the bag thinking back and seeing him hunting those covers. There is still a small baggie left in my vest, so he will always be hunting with me, since I didn't get another dog yet.

My wife has a 17 year old Dachshund that is going down fast. She has never dealt with this pain and is not going to take it well. I should get busy and build a box for him, it might help her get through it.

I'm getting choked up writing this post, dogs really do touch your life.

We will be thinking of you Lorenzo, this is never an easy thing to do. Speaks volumes of you and what a great dog you have, by the way you want to honor your buddy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Favorite blanket.

Buddy is 14 and has a lot of huge lumps, he is still eating and getting around.

Mike

• Like 1

Lorenzo, I tried reading your post to my wife, I couldn't get through it, voice just wouldn't hold up. Both my weim and border collie are over 10 and slowing down. It is inevitable and something you just can't totally prepare for. I like the casket idea, it's right. My last dog "Blue" was buried, wrapped in my latest Carhart (if I wasn't wearing it, I left it on the floor for him to lay on). took his collar off and laid it beside him. Hardest part was those first few shovels of dirt. 

1304477424_dogkiss.jpg.baf60b85d7278acc301a93362f417e64.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Lorenzo, I tried reading your post to my wife, I couldn't get through it, voice just wouldn't hold up. Both my weim and border collie are over 10 and slowing down. It is inevitable and something you just can't totally prepare for. I like the casket idea, it's right. My last dog "Blue" was buried, wrapped in my latest Carhart (if I wasn't wearing it, I left it on the floor for him to lay on). took his collar off and laid it beside him. Hardest part was those first few shovels of dirt. 

1304477424_dogkiss.jpg.baf60b85d7278acc301a93362f417e64.jpg

I buried my old cowdog in 1993. He sat and watched me leave for HS,College,Work,Rodeos and to damn many women. He saw me from teenage kid to husband and father. I thought I knew how good of a dog I had. Now I'm older I realize I didn't have clue. Sometimes I think we don't deserve them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, exSW said:

...Sometimes I think we don't deserve them.

That's just it. They're unconditional and they don't keep score. That doesn't matter to them.

• Like 3