Missouri Mule

Wrapping some sudan last night

On 8/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, krich said:

Looks like you're using 30 inch? Or is it 20 inch?  80$ is more than we pay for sun film  think our 20 inch we get for around 61$ and 30 inch might have been around 72$  we order it around the 1st of the year.   We use a Tanco 300 wrapper. Have had it since 95 and finally just put a new apron belt on her this summer.  It has seen a lot of bales since 95 been a great wrapper for us. 

Yah its 30"  80 is the cheapest i can find it. Stores around me are 90-100. My good friend buys 3 pallets at a time and i just buy them from him. I think he makes $2 a roll or something. It aint much but i think we have used over 15 rolls so maybe i should just buy a dang pallet too. 

On 8/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, hobbyfarm said:

Misouri mule, how many wraps are you putting on the baleage?  I will be using a similar wrapper Monday evening or Tuesday AM.  I am assuming we just count the wraps as it spins around.  My neighbor has an anderson individual wrapper that is all automated but he gets either $4 or $5 per bale to use the machine not including the wrap so I am going to use the cheaper option...

16 wraps gets you 2 layers. 24 gets you 3. Mine has different gearing for 24 or 30"  so watch that. Mine has a counter too but after a few you just can tell when to quit. Some guys paint a line at 2 wraps and quit when it covers the line. You can see through in enough to know when to quit. 

Mowing sorghum, how much stubble are you leaving?  If prussic acid is highest in lower portion of the stem, does fermenting in wet wrapped bales take care of that problem?

Looked at mine tonight, new seeding waist high in places, second cut old seeding getting close to that tall in places.  I'm not sure if I can squeak out another round of cuts after this or not, if I wait another ten days to mow that'd put me thirty days from end of Sept.  Might just let it go and try for one big cut chopped instead of baled.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, nelson jr said:

Mowing sorghum, how much stubble are you leaving?  If prussic acid is highest in lower portion of the stem, does fermenting in wet wrapped bales take care of that problem?

Looked at mine tonight, new seeding waist high in places, second cut old seeding getting close to that tall in places.  I'm not sure if I can squeak out another round of cuts after this or not, if I wait another ten days to mow that'd put me thirty days from end of Sept.  Might just let it go and try for one big cut chopped instead of baled.

I do not believe it does. Ensiling will help with nitrates but not prussic acid ive read. Dont know first hand. I think id let her go a while. The worst you will get is a more stemmy product. Lots and lots of guys here mow it 10' tall because it got away from them. Frost is your limiting factor as you probably know 

Oh on height. I just have standard skids on my discbine and i lock the tilt. Im in that 3-4" range. Everything ive read says to go higher but thats what ive got. I think next time i replace my skids ill go with taller ones because i can tilt down still. Right now it almost scalps the dirt tilted with standard shoes. 

Edited by Missouri Mule

I have always flail chopped and direct fed it.  Have been thinking baling it off would get regrowth started faster and lead to overall more tonnage.  Green chopping is handy and I like it, but it takes a bunch of time also.  Neighbors used to right before a frost, chop it all off and make a pile.  But that seems like you'd be losing over just baling and wrapping.

22 hours ago, nelson jr said:

I have always flail chopped and direct fed it.  Have been thinking baling it off would get regrowth started faster and lead to overall more tonnage.  Green chopping is handy and I like it, but it takes a bunch of time also.  Neighbors used to right before a frost, chop it all off and make a pile.  But that seems like you'd be losing over just baling and wrapping.

I think anytime you can get it off sooner it will help with regrowth. Ive never chopped it. I let mine lay a full day. Cut it one evening and roll it up the next evening. It was still plenty wet but fed great. We will see. Once i get my results on quality i will post 

finally got some cut today

couldnt get them planted until 7-4  and 2 weeks late, been either too muddy or heavy dew which makes for instant mud in baler

in sprayed field ,so it did better than drilled into clover,but it also had rain and 10 day start, others are 3' + now

IMG0027A.jpg

IMG0028A.jpg

IMG0029A.jpg

IMG0030A.jpg

IMG0031A.jpg

IMG0032A.jpg

How much N are you putting on initially and between cuts?

I have the same mower, good machine.  Has wear on it now, but no breakdowns in 16 years.  

in past we had done #200/ 50 to 100ac   with rain last 3yr,  no time,too much damage, grows too fast ,or gets boost and burns out from too dry between mud holes... 10 days ago was blowin leaves away as dust and mud in same bale,

dont expect any $$ purchased  N for a while,with sales at $0.15 vs $20 for everything we purchase.  no way will I pay $180 for yesterdays mower spring  , OEM purchased item ....should be found for $40

some dealers have it at $390 while used is $240

last week OEM wanted $360 for u joints   found for $100 M-F  $40 S-S and USA MFG sent them to dealer < $8

some finished shots

and our road went smaller, yet, a month back ,10 years ago went from 17' to 12'

IMG0034A.jpg

IMG0035A.jpg

IMG0036A.jpg

IMG0038A.jpg

Are you saying you're putting on 200lb of n to start, and then 50lb after first cut?  200lb of straight n seems like a lot to me, but I'm no expert on sorghum either.  I'm putting on like 300+ triple 19, and then another dose after first cut if I can.

no

a lot of changes and 90% reduction in costs

it has been about 6 years since we were in rotation

urea in bulk ,what ever the tests called for, .some years 75-100 and not worth the fuel for 2nd

sudan does good in fields that were corn every or every 3rd yr for the last 40yrs,

if we could get 3 cuts in a normal year/timely  20 ac would make 300-(500 (with purchased urea) wrapped bales

then the $$ was ridiculous ,so fields got what was on hand T -19 T 12  ,12 24 etc

then beans and corn ,cost $10-15 K more than we got paid ,so corn will be 10 ac every 2-4- years  or purchased.
then roads, went too small or too FULL of cidiots for 18' drill  (we rent a 12') so there is $150K of idled equipment.

silage was also astronomically expensive,  1000T yr - to  -0

with no help, we went last on the list ,custom harvest , last bill < 6hr   $5K

feeding was 4-5 hr day, now 3/4-1 hr

also cut the cattle waste (and hauling)by 80% ,more nutrient less mass.

50% reduction in land to cidiots so we get  500T of milorganite when available delivered to field to again limit tire loss .

they only test 1-2x yr but it does have a lime ration.

we do have some trial liquid fert on hand (1q ac) always too wet /dry /late to try it.  if it rains again sudan would grow too fast

Are you individual wrapping all those bales? Or online? Three or four neighbors have Anderson inlines now, super fast processing.  

My second cut on the other farm was three or four foot on Monday, but I think I am going to let it go as I don't think I could squeak out a third due to weather.  Last year I had a bunch of second cut that didn't get much over my knees, due mostly I think to lack of hot weather late towards fall.