Jump to content
Missouri Mule

Wrapping some sudan last night

Recommended Posts

Took a quick photo of the wrapping job last night. 986 cut it with dcx101 discbine. 1086 is hooked to baler in distance that you cant relally see. Im on the 756 with 2250 loader and 656 is only one really shown on the wrapper. We only did about 15 last night as we were just finishing up what i couldnt get cut before. 2nd cut crop yielded well. These are only 50" tall bales but very wet still weighing around 1800 guessing. It really needed to set another whole day due to cloudy weather but with rain predicted we rolled it up. Moisture was probably every bit of high 60's. Anyway enjoy the picture 

20190807_195109.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iindividual wrapped bales?

If you don't mind me asking, how  much does it cost for the wrap on each bale?

I'm thinking of getting a wrapper.

Thx-Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three or four bucks, depends on number of wraps and plastic pricing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Took a quick photo of the wrapping job last night. 986 cut it with dcx101 discbine. 1086 is hooked to baler in distance that you cant relally see. Im on the 756 with 2250 loader and 656 is only one really shown on the wrapper. We only did about 15 last night as we were just finishing up what i couldnt get cut before. 2nd cut crop yielded well. These are only 50" tall bales but very wet still weighing around 1800 guessing. It really needed to set another whole day due to cloudy weather but with rain predicted we rolled it up. Moisture was probably every bit of high 60's. Anyway enjoy the picture 

20190807_195109.jpg

Do you use an innoculant in your bales?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, redneckchevy9 said:

Do you use an innoculant in your bales?

No. Not for silage i dont. 

 

30 minutes ago, acem said:

iindividual wrapped bales?

If you don't mind me asking, how  much does it cost for the wrap on each bale?

I'm thinking of getting a wrapper.

Thx-Ace

Like said above 3 -4 bucks each. Im paying $80/roll for sun film. I get 28 or so a roll. Thats putting 24 wraps on each bale. This wrapper is just a cheap one made by tonutti i think. Farm king 150 i think. Ive done about 175 bales with it. Honestly being such a wet year it saved my butt. I was able to get more silage done early spring i wouldnt of attempted to cut for dry hay due to small windows in weather. My good friend has an anderson inline we use too. I think we put about 250 through it or more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we use + - 3 pallets of wrap/yr    

MFG would like more but for 20 years we had good luck at 30 wraps    $80/15= $5.5 we quote $8 for the add ons/labor/fuel

40-60% moisture , wrapped within 6 hours of bale, as little or LOW speed (wind )roading, have them stacked /placed within 8 hours so as not disturb the seal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW..locally it costs me $22/bale.  Every custom guy has self wrapping mchales.  We have sprayed innoculant in frt of baler an it was a pain but well worth it.  But pita

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't high moisture cause the bale to heat up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

This wrapper is just a cheap one made by tonutti i think. Farm king 150 i think.

May i ask how much you paid for it? 

I just turned a wrench to get this farm's first round baler. Got it for free and had to put parts in it to make it work. Once done it worked like a charm. Since we didn't spend much on the baler, I'm wondering what a wrapper would cost. This baler is twine only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

May i ask how much you paid for it? 

I just turned a wrench to get this farm's first round baler. Got it for free and had to put parts in it to make it work. Once done it worked like a charm. Since we didn't spend much on the baler, I'm wondering what a wrapper would cost. This baler is twine only.

Is the baker made for wet hay? My first baler was twine only and 2 things suck compared to net wrap. First when it’s cold out and your dealing with frozen bales, it’s a pain to get the string out of the bale. Second is that when you wrap a twine bale there is alway the grooves where the twine is and it seems to be more likely to mold or spoil in those groove due to pockets of air you can’t get out. It will work, you just don’t get quite as nice feed as with net wrap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your animals will love that feed Missouri Mule!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Is the baker made for wet hay? My first baler was twine only and 2 things suck compared to net wrap. First when it’s cold out and your dealing with frozen bales, it’s a pain to get the string out of the bale. Second is that when you wrap a twine bale there is alway the grooves where the twine is and it seems to be more likely to mold or spoil in those groove due to pockets of air you can’t get out. It will work, you just don’t get quite as nice feed as with net wrap. 

No its not. If i got it for free, what does that tell you?  Its old. I wasn't even thinking about baleage to be honest. Dry hay. 

We still chop some corn so i don't need baleage. The issue is our round bales sit out to you need them. Outside gets a little weather on them obviously as time goes on. I was just thinking of a way to reduce the weather loss on the outside. 

We square bale our better cuts of hay. Round baling for us is probably going to be mainly a 1st cutting thing unless the square baler breaks and we need to bale in the better cuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Is the baker made for wet hay? My first baler was twine only and 2 things suck compared to net wrap. First when it’s cold out and your dealing with frozen bales, it’s a pain to get the string out of the bale. Second is that when you wrap a twine bale there is alway the grooves where the twine is and it seems to be more likely to mold or spoil in those groove due to pockets of air you can’t get out. It will work, you just don’t get quite as nice feed as with net wrap. 

you can wrap dry to help cut spoilage from weather but the twine needs to be compatible with the wrap, under 14% a complete seal is simply a +

20% +  to correct moisture range, under 6 hour wrap,LITTLE to no air induction from high speed trailering,no seal breaking movement until frozen will 90% > reduce spoilage

the little bugs need enough moisture, o2 and slight heat to convert for a good seal

dry balers generally dont do well, make good wet bales,

twine is a big issue when in ice/frozen...more so when wrapped around all shafts you have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NY1468 said:

Your animals will love that feed Missouri Mule!

I hope so. Im a little concerned about the moisture being a little high but time will tell. It needed to set for 2 days instead of 1. It was a warm day but cloudy so it didnt dry much at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mmi said:

you can wrap dry to help cut spoilage from weather but the twine needs to be compatible with the wrap, under 14% a complete seal is simply a +

20% +  to correct moisture range, under 6 hour wrap,LITTLE to no air induction from high speed trailering,no seal breaking movement until frozen will 90% > reduce spoilage

the little bugs need enough moisture, o2 and slight heat to convert for a good seal

dry balers generally dont do well, make good wet bales,

twine is a big issue when in ice/frozen...more so when wrapped around all shafts you have

What does compatible twine entail?

Like i said if  it wasn't free. I wouldn't have resurrected this old round baler. I guarantee you that I can't touch a net wrap baler that needs work for what parts i put into this baler. 

Like i said, dry hay only. Just trying to reduce spoilage on dry hay since it sits in the weather until it's fed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reichow7120 said:

What does compatible twine entail?

Like i said if  it wasn't free. I wouldn't have resurrected this old round baler. I guarantee you that I can't touch a net wrap baler that needs work for what parts i put into this baler. 

Like i said, dry hay only. Just trying to reduce spoilage on dry hay since it sits in the weather until it's fed.

Does anyone in your area custom wrap? They might come in for $5-$8 and do it for you with there 20k wrapper. Just a thoight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Does anyone in your area custom wrap? They might come in for $5-$8 and do it for you with there 20k wrapper. Just a thoight 

No, heck, There isn't much livestock around my area anymore.

Neighbor does have a Anderson inline. But it seems like we are both doing hay at the same time and he is using it. He did offer it to us one time if he round baled for us. But that was before we had our own round baler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

What does compatible twine entail?

If you run plastic twine in your baler you're gonna be fine. It's treated sisal twine that will eat through the plastic wrap. They make treated and untreated sisal. 

If you're going to wrap dry hay you can get by with a lot less wraps per bale since it's essentially just a "roof" over each bale and your not trying to lock out oxygen.

I do all inline wrapping and we've done some dry hay that you can almost see the bale through the plastic because I turned the plastic application way down. Bales come out looking as good as when they went in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

If you run plastic twine in your baler you're gonna be fine. It's treated sisal twine that will eat through the plastic wrap. They make treated and untreated sisal. 

If you're going to wrap dry hay you can get by with a lot less wraps per bale since it's essentially just a "roof" over each bale and your not trying to lock out oxygen.

I do all inline wrapping and we've done some dry hay that you can almost see the bale through the plastic because I turned the plastic application way down. Bales come out looking as good as when they went in.

Yeah, the round baler runs plastic twine. Sitting outside here, Sisal will rot in about a month in wet weather.

The neighbor that rolled our hay when our square baler took a crap back in early June runs Sisal. We fed those bales that took us to early this week. The last bales the sisal had rotted off on the bottom. 

The whole reason I took the free round baler and fixed it was because of the square baler problem. Nice to grab the backup in this case. I think though we are going to roll more 1st cutting next year. Square bale a little 1st and all of 2nd and 3rd.

Thank you for your answer. It was helpful. I wasn't worried about baleage. Knew we dont have a baler to do that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can get a box of 25 slip on bale sleeves for about $100. They help too. I reuse them for several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you pyramid stack and then tarp them? Would be a bit of spoilage but would cut it back a fair bit. Or depending on how many you roll up could put up a hoop shelter to store hay/equipment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IH766 said:

Could you pyramid stack and then tarp them? Would be a bit of spoilage but would cut it back a fair bit. Or depending on how many you roll up could put up a hoop shelter to store hay/equipment

yes you can cuts additional spoilage to <10%

had $4k in custom tarps after we lost 3 barns to cidiot housing

dont expect more than 3 yrs, less if high winds or ice...takes 3 people in low wind to feed out from them in winter

have to know what animal and feed quality,in hay school  they had a university study chart ,

in general 3 day dry hay of any size,looses 45-65% of nutrition value in the process and outdoors(uncovered) looses > 10% per every 2 inch lost.

have to go with what works for you.

we never left them out and/or uncovered 

with dry free choice in the ration of 8K # per day we had total waste at 15% to haul out

eliminating grains, dry at <10% with 90% haylage  no mixing etc  we cut costs over half  and use 25-40% less bales per temp

buyers want our calves 

we lost 40% of the land to cidiots and in last 30  months have started to sell  excess hay.......

20% 1st cut ,90% 2nd and 90% of 3rd if it could be shipped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Misouri mule, how many wraps are you putting on the baleage?  I will be using a similar wrapper Monday evening or Tuesday AM.  I am assuming we just count the wraps as it spins around.  My neighbor has an anderson individual wrapper that is all automated but he gets either $4 or $5 per bale to use the machine not including the wrap so I am going to use the cheaper option...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wrapper has a counter that quit about a decade ago. When a neighbor rents it that has never used it I tell them count the revolutions  till you see no hay then go that many more. So after a few bale you don't need to start counting till you don't see hay & count half as many as you did. All varies with bale size also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, Missouri Mule said:

No. Not for silage i dont. 

 

Like said above 3 -4 bucks each. Im paying $80/roll for sun film. I get 28 or so a roll. Thats putting 24 wraps on each bale. This wrapper is just a cheap one made by tonutti i think. Farm king 150 i think. Ive done about 175 bales with it. Honestly being such a wet year it saved my butt. I was able to get more silage done early spring i wouldnt of attempted to cut for dry hay due to small windows in weather. My good friend has an anderson inline we use too. I think we put about 250 through it or more. 

Looks like you're using 30 inch? Or is it 20 inch?  80$ is more than we pay for sun film  think our 20 inch we get for around 61$ and 30 inch might have been around 72$  we order it around the 1st of the year.   We use a Tanco 300 wrapper. Have had it since 95 and finally just put a new apron belt on her this summer.  It has seen a lot of bales since 95 been a great wrapper for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...